Physical fitness objects that are worth the money - You have to actually use it more than once

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2385021
The Ab Wheel is one of the most basic ones, but it is a great workout for your core.
If you do it with proper form yes. Pretty hard to hold your back flat if you’re a beginner.
View attachment 2385327
Gymnast Rings are, by far, one of the most versatile pieces of equipment for people who are at least a little above average in fitness.
Used to play with them as a kid, hanging upside-down and stuff. Either that or be bored.

Got a weigthed vest on 30 kg/66lbs, obviously too light when I work out in the gym now. Bought it way before corona and before I began working out more seriously, but got use for it when the gym was closed.

Got a pull up bar in one of my door frames, still use it.
Weight lifting shoes, weight lifting gloves/pussy mittens. My headphones isn’t exactly a training accessory, but I couldn’t work out without them.

Had dips bars, but sold them because my wrist hurts when I bend them a lay pressure on them.

Planning to buy red light therapy panel. One of the proper ones with real science behind it, but they cost about 1000 usd. The cheap ones on ebay or whatever does NOT work.
Could already have it, but a guy I’m following (Alex Fergus) said he was going to review a newer panel from the brand I was planning to buy from. Later this year.
So I’m waiting, and the first generation panels were lowered with 100 usd. So if the newer ones aren't better, I may still save some bucks.

Edit:
I do have a weight lifting belt, which I don't use. Because it's hard to take on and off plus it hurts to move in it. Because it's thick and stiff leather, which was recommended to get. I really don't like it, because I kinda panic when it's so hard to get off. Was hoping for it to soften up, when just laying with it's prongs inside on of the belt holes.

It sounds like I don’t do anything else than workout and shitpost. Which is right :thinking:

Last edited:

Pargon

A Coward Unrepentant
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are you a diagnosed agoraphobiac or do you just have anxiety? If it's the latter I'd suggest just hopping on a bike and going. You'll either quickly realize that you can go ride a bike in public and absolutely no one will give a shit (even if you're a fatass- just make sure you've got a shirt on), or you can't do it and should probably see a therapist and tell them that the thought of riding a bike on a public road terrifies you. Either of these would be better for your mental health than hiding in mom's basement on a elliptical.
Nah, I’m good going through life as invisible and ignored as possible, thanks.

Euler's identity

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A barbell and some plates.

Edit:
I do have a weight lifting belt, which I don't use. Because it's hard to take on and off plus it hurts to move in it. Because it's thick and stiff leather, which was recommended to get. I really don't like it, because I kinda panic when it's so hard to get off. Was hoping for it to soften up, when just laying with it's prongs inside on of the belt holes.

How thick is it? 10mm should be fine if you're not an elite lifter. Also wearing it regularly will help properly break it in. If that fails, try some rubbing alcohol or olive oil every 4 weeks or so and that should help soften it.

Vingle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How thick is it? 10mm should be fine if you're not an elite lifter. Also wearing it regularly will help properly break it in. If that fails, try some rubbing alcohol or olive oil every 4 weeks or so and that should help soften it.
Actually think it's 10 mm, because that's what was recommended. Even though I don't actually remember, because I bought it 2 years ago or so.
Gonna try the oil, thanks for the tip :)

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
A rubber resistance band
31Qljk9jpEL._AC_.jpg

Strength, speed and stamina are important but most people forget about flexibility.
When you're flexible, every movement is easier to do.
These bands make stretching easy and they help you keep the proper form during a lot of stretches.
They're also very cheap.

lurk_moar

Certified Lab Tech and Fatphobe
kiwifarms.net
What I found out is that by buying your own workout equipment, you use it more because you want to get the most bang out of your buck and not waste money. It all has to do with psychology.

When I had a gym membership, I barely went and had to cancel, but now spending what I estimate $2,000 to $3,000 on a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, rowing machine, barbell set, dumbells from 7 pounds to 20 pounds, and kettlebells ranging from 10 to 30 pounds has made me really want to spend a lot of my free time working out. Granted my cardio equipment is not top of the line but meh good enough stuff.

Azovka

kiwifarms.net
Depends on your workout.

For running, as I mentioned in the same Fat Acceptance thread as the OP, shoes can make or break your training, so I'd recommend investing in a good pair, and more importantly - do your research first. Do the wet paper test to see what kind of foot positioning you have when you hit the ground. See where you plan on running (treadmill, road & trail all hit different), and make sure you do the thumb test when trying on the shoes because your feet will swell (or just take a size bigger compared to your regular city shoes). It's probably better to shop in brick&mortar for it since running shops usually offer to try shoes out for a run outside immediately or on a treadmill if they have one.
Oh and a rain coat (k-way / windbreaker or however the fuck they're called) if you plan on running outside in the winter and don't live in a desert.

For home equipment, I'd say a resistance band, jumping rope, yoga mat if your floor is trash, and a balance board.
casall-balance-board-ii.jpeg

This is it in case some of you don't know. It's great for developing your balance (not just for soccer players and trail runners), and helps strengthen your joints. It's also a great workout even for regular stuff like weighted squatting since it will take more effort to maintain your balance on it.
Adjustable dumbbells are shit - don't buy them. Or do so at your own risk. Just have a regular set of them, and if you want a whole range of weights, just hit the gym. Or keep buying them if you have the budget.
Ab wheels are useless for beginners - just do regular crunches, leg raises, planking etc. instead. Hell, most exercises in general can be done for free with body weight alone.

For swimming, I'd get a waterproof smart band or however they're called. I have a Huawei Band 6 that I got for 40€, and yes I know, Chinese government bad and all that, but it's working fine, tracks swimming indoors, and has the same functionalities as a 150€ Fitbit for 1/3rd of the price. Or else you can invest in the 350€+ top of the line smart watches that take your phone calls, have music etc. but I've always found them pretty pointless since most of the time, you'll have your phone with you, and you don't need to spend as much to see what's your heart rate or how many steps you've walked.

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
Used and reconditioned Concept2 rower (ergometer). Excellent all round cardio exercise, and resale value is probably the same as what you paid for it.

In my context, also: properly fitting running shoes, race entry technical t-shirts, lightweight waterproof running shell jacket, Garmin running watch.

NoReturn

CEO Wash & Smash llc.
kiwifarms.net
Used and reconditioned Concept2 rower (ergometer). Excellent all round cardio exercise, and resale value is probably the same as what you paid for it.

In my context, also: properly fitting running shoes, race entry technical t-shirts, lightweight waterproof running shell jacket, Garmin running watch.
Are smart watches or fitness trackers worth it in general? I had someone loan me a fitbit and I stopped using it because it was bulky and weird to wear.

North America

Girls with guns on LSD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I second the stationary desk bike. As long as you have a table with enough clearance, you can shitpost on the internet and burn calories at the same time! Some of them come with a knob that you can change resistance with in case you feel that idly moving your legs isn't doing enough for you.

The only caveat is that there's a lot of cheap shit on Amazon that have artificially inflated 5-star reviews. Just take care to read some of them (especially the negative reviews) before buying.

talk sh1t

Was the NPC all along
kiwifarms.net
Got a weigthed vest on 30 kg/66lbs, obviously too light when I work out in the gym now. Bought it way before corona and before I began working out more seriously, but got use for it when the gym was closed.

What do you do with the weighted vest? I'm thinking of getting one to do jogging and blurpees, but being the spazz I am I'll probably end up injuring myself with it sooner rather than later.

How loud do they get? I live in a studio apartment and am contemplating getting an ergometer but I'm concerned about bothering the neighbours since the walls are quite thin here. No downstair neighbours, at least. Also does the floor get scratched, long-term?

Last edited:

Honk Hill

I sell Zyklon B and Zyklon B accessories.
kiwifarms.net
Midgets, can dead lift em, put em in a backpack for jogging or cycling, use em for bowling or high intensity resistance fleshlights.

They say sex is the best workout.

New Friend

kiwifarms.net
Wrist-wraps were vital in helping improve my overhead press and bench, but it's important not to rely on them though. I know someone who wears them all through his sets, even his warmups. Another would be leather (rubber) hand wraps that curve around the bar, again for grip. I try to use as little extra equipment as I can though.

A great tool to improve your wrist strength at home is just a straight metal object that you can perform rotations with. I'd highly recommend looking into formarm and wrist exercises for anyone looking to improve their numbers in the gym.

Vingle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A rubber resistance band
View attachment 2386427
Strength, speed and stamina are important but most people forget about flexibility.
When you're flexible, every movement is easier to do.
These bands make stretching easy and they help you keep the proper form during a lot of stretches.
They're also very cheap.
Stretch when you watch TV. I do rub in my back with moisturiser after each shower, it certainly helps and I don't die inside every time my back need a scratch.
What do you do with the weighted vest? I'm thinking of getting one to do jogging and blurpees, but being the spazz I am I'll probably end up injuring myself with it sooner rather than later.
Bulgarian split squats, used it for arms too. Its a multi-purpose tool,