Ready Player One -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyps

kiwifarms.net
Can you even imagine being this goddamn mad about Ready Player One? Maybe he's trying to do the AVGN thing, but AVGN is the only person I've ever seen do it without looking like an unbearable twat

KimCoppolaAficionado

The most underrated actor of the 21st century
kiwifarms.net
While I thought the book was fun if you've read the author's other stuff and seen his interviews it's really not this. The dude just loves wallowing in his nostalgia and wants to invite people to wade in the pool.
Yeah, Ernest Cline honestly isn't smart enough of an author to write a dystopian book about consumerist culture gone awry. Ready Player One is glorified fanfiction where the Howard Hughes character is a blatant authorial self-insert (Cline shares a birth year, hometown, and physical description with Halliday) and the main character wins by performing the literary equivalent of smashing his action figures together and quoting movie lines to himself.

The real dystopian narrative about consumerist culture gone awry is the fact that this book was a) marketed as something for adults to read despite being written at a 6th grade level, and b) that it made it on the New York Times bestseller list.
A work can have meaning independent of the author's intention. L'auteur est mort.
...But the fact that this wasn't intentional kind of disappoints me.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Can you even imagine being this goddamn mad about Ready Player One? Maybe he's trying to do the AVGN thing, but AVGN is the only person I've ever seen do it without looking like an unbearable twat

Jesus. Thanks for posting that. I think. :geek:

Not only was the video retarded, at least as far as I made it, the comments people are leaving are at least as ridiculous as anything this knucklehead was sperging over.

Shut the whole thing off when he started calling Ready Player One bad but Scott Pilgrim vs. the World I guess "nerd culture done right." LOL, wut? I read RPO, and kind of liked it. I saw Scott Pilgrim blah blah blah annndd... (guess what) kinda liked that as well. But neither is or was any kind of masterpiece or anything I think anyone is missing out a great deal by taking a pass on. The only difference I can really see is that the Scott Pilgrim movie was a definite box office flop and we don't know where RPO (the movie) is going to wind up. Gives him that air exclusivity or something, liking something most missed or maybe at this point don't even really remember existed.

I actually agree with him that Snow Crash is a better novel than RPO, but is it THAT much better? It is probably the vector by which the whole concept of memes (maybe the word itself) entered popular culture, was actually written as a parody of 1980s "cyberpunk" novels as much as anything else, and does that bit very well, but it also kind of slops into the try-hard with Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters magically using their mad hax0r and katana skills to save the world from whatever the hell the existential threat Stephenson incoherently kept warbling about.

Meh. I'll shut up now before I start babbling about there being some kind of wider point about the fact that it is odd how nobody seems capable of saying something is "alright," or "okay" these days. That's a topic I could sperg about for hours/thousands of words.

Stock Photo James

kiwifarms.net
Would it be :autism: and :powerlevel: to state that the movie makes me livid too? For several reasons - first of all, it's this corporate geek culture bullshit that's absolutely dependent on established properties and not general appreciation of certain genres of fiction or forms of entertainment. It's not about vision of far lands but Star Wars and other brands owned by multi-million companies, not about creating own stories but repeating what already exists. For me, the film is this dystopian vision of barren land free of creativity the corporate shills and people who identify as "geeks" because they found Big Bang Theory funny will one day spawn in real life. And I don't want it.

Second, 80ies culture is, by now, beyond overused. And this one exploits it in the most shallow way imaginable, just bringing up franchises and iconic characters from it and then reinterpreting them to fit into whole virtual world. There's no attempt to capture the feel of the period like, say, Stranger Things did. It's all just empty shells. Empty shells, in an empty movie, for empty people; it's naive but I hope the cinema seats will be empty too.

Though I'm still looking towards this coming out, the memes ought to be pure gold.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net

He looks like he smells fucking awful.

Would it be :autism: and :powerlevel: to state that the movie makes me livid too?

Yes.

Everything you said was accurate, mind you. But the reasonable responses is "That looks like shit, best stay clear of that" and never thinking about it again.

Dysnomia

Dango whore
kiwifarms.net
Would it be :autism: and :powerlevel: to state that the movie makes me livid too? For several reasons - first of all, it's this corporate geek culture bullshit that's absolutely dependent on established properties and not general appreciation of certain genres of fiction or forms of entertainment. It's not about vision of far lands but Star Wars and other brands owned by multi-million companies, not about creating own stories but repeating what already exists. For me, the film is this dystopian vision of barren land free of creativity the corporate shills and people who identify as "geeks" because they found Big Bang Theory funny will one day spawn in real life. And I don't want it.

Second, 80ies culture is, by now, beyond overused. And this one exploits it in the most shallow way imaginable, just bringing up franchises and iconic characters from it and then reinterpreting them to fit into whole virtual world. There's no attempt to capture the feel of the period like, say, Stranger Things did. It's all just empty shells. Empty shells, in an empty movie, for empty people; it's naive but I hope the cinema seats will be empty too.

Though I'm still looking towards this coming out, the memes ought to be pure gold.

It's like they think only the most blatant and direct references will be understood or appreciated. Here's a thing that you like that's totally nerdy and geeky!

It's just recycling well known properties to boost up content that is otherwise empty without the substance provided from something that actually contains it.

Whether the movie sucks or not Tumblr will be all over the memes anyway.

The Shadow

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
kiwifarms.net
1a81364d0fc2d798ee16e619a8d4f63e.png

Spielberg is the world's most renowned fedora lord.
Well Spielberg did make Indiana Jones, m'Raiders.

I mean RP1 was a shit book but it was basically "pop culture nostalgia mining" taken to its logical conclusion. It might spell the beginning of the end for this kind of thing as a trend, which would be a net positive. Optimistic, I know.

It's like something I saw in a film class in HS: a teenage autist making a stop motion film with his box of mixed action figures.

It's dumb to stay mad about anything. A stupid throwaway popcorn entertainment piece especially.

The Audible version is read by Wil Wheaton, by the way. Make of that knowledge what you will.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
Come on, it can be both.

Even if the world is just as shitty as it is to enable something like the OASIS to 'replace' the real world, it still manages to BE replacing the real world because that world is shitty and people are diving into it to live something better than reality. Whether Cline wanted that more to justify his nostalgia wallow or truly meant to criticize the real world doesn't change the validity of said criticism by others.
No, authorial intent matters. No matter what Barthes and other post modernists believe, you can't say a piece of media is clearly about something if the author claims otherwise. Well you can, but you would be wrong and arrogant.
As I stated in the Roseanne thread, what better way to make sure a movie sucks and to make the screenwriter and original author feel bad for it, is to Nig Mode on Twitter for your former boss to see years later and hold their head in shame. Maybe it isn't toys that are the problem...

It's the people who obsess over them? WHO'DATHUNKIT??? :late::thinking::late:
what

DootSkeleton

doot doot
kiwifarms.net
Is the movie good? It looks like an average action movie whose gimmick is being stuffed to the gills with pop culture references.

Stock Photo James

kiwifarms.net
I feel like "nerd vulture done right" would have to avoid bringing up any actual nerd pop culture bullshit, either substituting it with fictional or somehow portraying nerd culture trough something else entirely, to stand on it's own and not as yet another nostalgia leeching attempt.
Is the movie good? It looks like an average action movie whose gimmick is being stuffed to the gills with pop culture references.
It's Spielberg so it won't be a wreck but it's unlikely it will feel unique or fresh in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.