Richard Meyer v. Mark Waid (2018) -

Waid Livestream - What will happen?

• Talks about the lawsuit.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Further incriminates himself.

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Defames YaBoi again.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Doesn't talk about the lawsuit nor CG.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Host disagrees with Waid on something, chimpout insues.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Normal interview. (no drama)

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
Its never RICO, especially for a civil litigation slap fight.
Indeed. Since it's a civil matter, I just hope it could be used to show damages on Meyer's end to really rack up the final bill against Waid.

The racketeering stuff would be a side tangent for the comic industry at large. Especially now that so many confirmed individuals in the whisper network are now playing the: "pay us to be a sensitivity editor or it would be a shame if people came out against your book." Aka a nasty extortion racket.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Indeed. Since it's a civil matter, I just hope it could be used to show damages on Meyer's end to really rack up the final bill against Waid.

The racketeering stuff would be a side tangent for the comic industry at large. Especially now that so many confirmed individuals in the whisper network are now playing the: "pay us to be a sensitivity editor or it would be a shame if people came out against your book." Aka a nasty extortion racket.
That would require a Federal Prosecutor to actually care about cartoons and the crazy people running them. None will. Rejoice however, the incompetents seem to be doing a very good job of destroying themselves without the need for the Feds to get involved.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I really want this case to hit full discovery. So much potential gold could be dug up based upon how Waid had the tendency to run off and brag online.
The case is really limited in time and scope to some very specific things Waid did. It's now solely about the tortious interference via phone call and some text messages, and one instance of defamation while Waid was physically present in Texas.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hmmmmmmmm seems Waid had Mags doing some legwork for him. Good thing Mags is ridiculously lazy:
I'm enjoying these articles, especially because it shows step by step how a little snide comment here, a small exaggeration there, nearly always done by someone no one should ever trust, really does lay the gossip groundwork. Like with the Weeb Wars, it takes some dedicated autism and willingness to really dig and put together what individually are generally unremarkable comments to see how all of a sudden they lead to a massive accusation. Which, when it's made, people just nod and say that there's been rumours like that for ages, never stopping to think what the source of those rumours could be.

Also it's clear that Maggs is a manipulative asshole desperately clinging to being considered one of the girls, all efficiently packaged in a handful of FB posts he thought most people would never see.

Unfortunately, as with Vic, while things like Waid's lawsuit have really exposed just how rotten so much of these industries have become, any actual legal victory will only really be symbolic. Every culprit is determined to not learn a single damn thing, convinced as they all are by their holy righteousness.

Still, I have a certain amount of faith myself - in Waid's pigheaded stubbornness and rage issues. I'm hoping that we'll get at least one decent chimpout and a couple of arrogantly idiotic legal decisions before this is all said and done, even if we're unlikely to get any real inroads into discouraging the cancel culture bullshit the Whisper Network thrives on.

OneHandClapping

EZ Lefty, just add 5.56
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The case is really limited in time and scope to some very specific things Waid did. It's now solely about the tortious interference via phone call and some text messages, and one instance of defamation while Waid was physically present in Texas.
Are the discovery demands that narrow? Or can Meyer compel a relatively broad discovery request, use a narrow selection for his specific causes of action, and whatever else doesn't really matter to his specific case (but are still juicy) be included or leaked?

Unfortunately, as with Vic, while things like Waid's lawsuit have really exposed just how rotten so much of these industries have become, any actual legal victory will only really be symbolic. Every culprit is determined to not learn a single damn thing, convinced as they all are by their holy righteousness.
I think it depends what ultimately happens (Meyer in trial, Vic for the appeals).

If nothing else, it shows that canceled people have legal recourse, and that crowdfunding a lawsuit is actually viable. Meyer did it, and Vic's GoFundMe is rustling record numbers of jimmies.

I'm sure most people paying attention to this are paying attention to what's happening with Johnny Depp, and what happened when Geoffery Rush won his own lawsuit.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Are the discovery demands that narrow? Or can Meyer compel a relatively broad discovery request, use a narrow selection for his specific causes of action, and whatever else doesn't really matter to his specific case (but are still juicy) be included or leaked?
Everyone makes their discovery requests as broad as they can. It can't be completely irrelevant to anything, though.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
So to update this, apparently a quarter of a billion dollars is "nuisance value".
To CNN, it probably is. (I can't find their financial stuff because they are a subsidiary of Warner Media, who is owned by AT&T so the numbers are probably all globbed together.)

With the way the comic industry is right now, Mark Waid does not have a "nuisance value" threshold. Every dime is going to be sacred.

Jigglyjogglers

The Doctor Bashir guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To CNN, it probably is.
Despite what you might think, 250 mil isn't chump change to almost anyone except the "escape velocity" crowd, and CNN as a company isn't solvent enough to just shrug off losing the entire budget of a moderate summer blockbuster. Their ratings are in the toilet and only being propped up as much as they are through trickery and number fudging. They'd have long been sold and liquidated if they weren't A News Institution that the left knows the right would cry victory over its defeat, they're basically the biggest, well-known vanity project on television at this point.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit Zaid is a fucking moron. $250 million is hardly "nuisance value". That'd be a few hundred grand, not a few hundred million.
They just got told they have to hand this kid enough money to put him in America's top 10% wealth bracket. What sort of dipshit think's that's "nuisance value"? And this man passed the fucking BAR? Really?

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He's talking about the settlement. He doesn't know what the settlement is, he's just making shit up.
I guess that's the only other thing he knows how to do, since sitting there silently in the room while the actual lawyer does all the work in research and argumentation is the main thing he likes to do.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I guess that's the only other thing he knows how to do, since sitting there silently in the room while the actual lawyer does all the work in research and argumentation is the main thing he likes to do.
Silently isn't his thing. He chimps out and says useless inflammatory shit on social media while Ryan Pierce quietly does all the actual work.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Silently isn't his thing. He chimps out and says useless inflammatory shit on social media while Ryan Pierce quietly does all the actual work.
Oh I meant in a case, where he's just mindlessly tweeting while the actual lawyer usually presents or researches it. He might try to grandstand in the court, but I'd not be shocked if he just shows up and then tweets the victory of others as his own.