Roseanne Sitcom Revival - "Can we shut this down? We can NOT let her normalize Trump"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
I'd imagine the reboot will get some decent ratings anyway despite this. Nowadays, supposed "boycotts" like this do nothing.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Back then, making a sitcom about a less than aspirational family unit was a risk. But in 2017, with executives overtly competing over the Trumpster demographic, a TV show about a “normal American family” (read: white people who may or may not read InfoWars) is a newly hot commodity.

Not even covertly. Overtly. Have I been missing something ultra-important in the sense that there's actual evidence in support of this claim? :\ Sure didn't see any in the article

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd imagine the reboot will get some decent ratings anyway despite this. Nowadays, supposed "boycotts" like this do nothing.
The faggots that are protesting a character in a show having a right-leaning political view are not the intended audience for a sitcom about lower-class rust belt white people. So not only is this protest pointless (you can't boycott something you wouldn't consume) it's literally having the opposite effect (signal boosting it for people who might enjoy it).

I mean, people who actually would consume things can still boycott them. I'm sure the sales for Mighty No. 9 were hurt by the controversy for example.

Last edited:

Viridian

Phthalo green is a basic bitch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think a Roseanne reboot/revival is definitely eyeroll worthy. Scraping the bottom of the creative barrel even more so than usual, TV industry.

But speaking as someone whose politics definitely don't align with Trump's supporters, I'm more than willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt regarding their portrayal of said politics. Having characters who support Trump and watching them come into conflict with characters who don't = a potential for good storytelling and a fair reflection on the current American cultural zeitgeist. Roseanne using a slice-of-life sitcom to push a political agenda--any kind of agenda period = a show I have zero interest in watching regardless of who's running it. No way it wouldn't turn out super-cringy.

Dysnomia

Dango whore
kiwifarms.net
When I made my post about how good Roseanne was, I was going to mention that I'm not counting the last 2-3 seasons. They were fucking terrible, and the fact that the reboot is going to pretend like they didn't exist is probably the smartest thing they could have done.

I'm very happy about this. Roseanne was trying to get an American version of Absolutely Fabulous going and used her own show as a testing ground. The weird ass stuff after they won the lottery was all part of that. That's why it became a fever dream of wackiness instead of a sitcom about a typical working class family. That's why Jackie was dating royalty played by Jim Varney and Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley were guest starring.

Thank the gods that didn't pan out. Because we didn't need Absolutely Fabulous: 'Murrica Edition starring Roseanne.:cryblood:

We already have Girl Meets World and Fuller House. This has become a trend and I wonder what they'll try to dredge up next. Martin is getting revived and I hear Living Single will be too. Had Bill Cosby not turned out to be a rapist I think that The Cosby Show might have been a candidate. I'm sure Rudy needs a job right now.

Medicated

Pedophile
kiwifarms.net
I still wonder why they use the term "normalize" which would mean they don't think around 50% of the voterbase voted for him, which would kind of be.... normalizing. Or do they think that in fact the 90% of Trump voters was russian trojan horse programs installed in voting machines?

Dysnomia

Dango whore
kiwifarms.net
I still wonder why they use the term "normalize" which would mean they don't think around 50% of the voterbase voted for him, which would kind of be.... normalizing. Or do they think that in fact the 90% of Trump voters was russian trojan horse programs installed in voting machines?

Perhaps Roseanne's new best friend should be a modern version of Deep Blue.

Medicated

Pedophile
kiwifarms.net
Perhaps Roseanne's new best friend should be a modern version of Deep Blue.

I'll be waiting for the salt where Roseanne and the Trans character has a big shitfight over Trump and then they reconcile by the end of the episode and learn to live with each others differences, and the people on Twitter throw a fit because Roseanne wasn't unpersoned, and how the Trans character is so unrealistic.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

They literally do think that. It's inconceivable to them that anyone could vote for Trump and not be a literal subhuman. I'm not sure how you can consider someone who wins a resounding electoral victory as not "mainstream," but these mushroom kingdom dingbats really do believe that.

They seriously don't understand that to the people who voted for Trump, Hillary Clinton is as much of an inhuman monster as they see Trump as. I don't know if these people have even talked to a Republican in their lives, but I have, and since she reared her ugly head and hove into view decades ago, they have hated her with a white-hot intensity of passion that could melt steel.

It's not at all incomprehensible that when she went out of her way to insult working class people and dismiss them as "deplorables" that even those who would have naturally voted for a Democrat said fuck this bitch. When she sent out her goon squads to insult the "Bernie Bros" after cheating her way to a primary victory, instead of reconciliation and uniting the party, she dug her own grave. She is why Trump is President, not goobergrape or the "alt-right" or "deplorables" or other voters she decided she didn't need because her coronation as Queen of the World was guaranteed.

TowinKarz

I've been a wreck lately.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a vicious circle, TV is so risk-averse these days, afraid to upset the SJW hive mind by doing something offensive that the only thing they'll practically green-light are these tired revivals. Which are shows that just don't work in the modern era either because the show was tied to a specific thing that no longer exists, is no longer shocking or provocative due to a glut of imitators, or will upset the hive mind anyway because muh representation! means it's NEVER diverse enough, while at the same time, old fans won't accept the retooled "progressive" characters and you'll end up with nobody happy.

It's been 15 years at least since I called myself a fan of any network TV show, and I don't ever see that changing.

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
I don't plan on watching it, but mostly because it looks like it'll suck. Quite frankly, I just find Roseanne annoying no matter who she supports.

(Now, the return of "Beavis and Butthead" kicked ass...but MTV sucks and had to cancel it. Bungholes)

What gets me is these idiots act like someone's holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to watch it. You know what I do when I find something offensive? I don't watch/read/listen to it. Imagine that!

(Seriously, I knew a transwoman who was bothered by the whole Mr. Garrison thing on "South Park", so she just stopped watching it. That's it. She didn't call for it to be banned or anything. She just no longer watched it.)

Vorhtbame

The prettiest zombie-slayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still wonder why they use the term "normalize" which would mean they don't think around 50% of the voterbase voted for him, which would kind of be.... normalizing.

They don't want you to think that ordinary people just like you might have done something they don't agree with. They believe that most people are swayed by emotional appeals, have no firm convictions, and are happy to be cattle among cattle, herded to and fro by the approval of their peers. If you begin to think that a person can do one of those Things We Do Not Approve Of and yet be a relatively okay and functional human being, why, you might start to do it yourself!

They did that with fornication/adultery, they did it with homosexuality, they're doing it with transwhateverism...but they'll be damned if someone will do it with something so disgusting as being a Republican! Ugh!

proteus4994

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The simple fact of the matter is that TV executives are idiots.

There used to be a rule in TV broadcasting where if one person sent an angry letter, you could assume there were 999 more who felt the same way, but didn't bother to send the letter. So that's why complaints were taken very seriously, because the assumption was that if they got some letters there were probably a lot of people pissed off.

The problem is that they're still following this rule in an era where any idiot can go on social media and scream, followed by bloggers writing clickbait for garbage sites. It just doesn't work anymore. Shitting out a tweet is not the same as mailing a letter, and they shouldn't treat it the same way. But they do. Because they're idiots.

The sooner EVERYONE learns to ignore social media outbursts about pointless shit, the better.

Deadpool

Still the Demon Prince of Patriarchy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was in his second book "Foley is Good." It happened when he was on tour for his first book. According to him she kept interupting and talking over him. At one point telling him her husband would be able to kick his ass because he was in the UFC.

uncleShitHeel

Jiggling and Giggling at Shoes nudes
kiwifarms.net
The original show had plenty of politics and arguments and diversity, just as part of the fabric of life. It didn't seem forced at all, just real shit that happened to people all the time.

Here's some salt from troon movie critic Danielle soltzman (the same one that TJ Miller chimped out about via email) :

Only perfect allies (actually, only trans people) may ever write a trans character, only trans people should play trans characters, trans people are a tiny minority, but the lack of representation is because of transphobia, sure lol. These people are not even worth pandering to. The kid in the show isn't transgender anyway lol, the opposite, the kind of kid that could be labelled trans but isn't.

It's almost as if some retarded Americans are sliding backwards towards segregation.

What could possibly go wrong?

Jordan Peele

Oscar Winner
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I don't really care about the politics. More important is how the living fuck they're getting out of the hole the last season digged. There's some interesting places to go from there, but chances are they'll just pretend season 9 never happened.

proteus4994

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I don't really care about the politics. More important is how the living fuck they're getting out of the hole the last season digged. There's some interesting places to go from there, but chances are they'll just pretend season 9 never happened.

iirc they’ve already said they’re just going to straight up pretend the last season didn’t happen

Status
Not open for further replies.