RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

littlearmalite

-SPEND THESE THIRTY HOURS GETTING FREAKAAAY
kiwifarms.net
Sounds almost like the greentext story of the Bethesda "Dreamboy" employee. :story:

Cinder is a good example of picking up a cool concept, creating a character that by all means should be good and doing fuck all with it. Her backstory is, as you correctly noted, long overdue, with volume 4 being the best opportunity to show it. Since the bitch is based on Cinderella, Miles could have used that fairy tale as the backstory, but unlike Cinderella, Cinder never got her prince and Lionel Richie never dedicated a song to her. But Miles is a galaxy brained nibba and I'm just some random faggot, so what the fuck do I know?

Why Cinder hasn't been killed off a long time ago, I do not know. I speculate that Nigiri might be a factor. Then again, Monica Rial was only a brief unpleasant memory with the very few voice lines Sienna Khan (another wasted character) got.
Knowing the direction RWBY is going, Cinder's not going to get backstory until the episode before she makes a heel-face turn, the episode she dies, or the episode where she does the former immediately before the latter.

Random Internet Person

Panzer Vor, motherfuckers!
kiwifarms.net
Knowing the direction RWBY is going, Cinder's not going to get backstory until the episode before she makes a heel-face turn, the episode she dies, or the episode where she does the former immediately before the latter.
They already have Emerald/Mercury for villain face turns. If anything, we haven’t had a proper Ruby vs. Cinder showdown yet. But at this point, whatever you have in your fanfiction or theory posted somewhere is probably better than what’s being cooked up. The wait probably won’t be worth it.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
Cinder is obsessed with getting stronger and has a Grimm/demon arm. I'll forgive them even something as lame as a heel-face turn or any other fuckup if they turn her into Nero from Devil May Cry 5.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Basically, in DMC5, Dante gets a hat that shoots money bullets and makes him Michael Jackson.
That sounds so stupid but watching the video makes it kind of endearing. Speaking of Dante, his thing is he’s usually carefree, snarking, and quipping one liners, but when he faces an opponent that could kick his ass and leaves him unable to just power through with his healing factor, he actually gets REALLY serious. You think Ruby Rose and the show in general should do something like that?

littlearmalite

-SPEND THESE THIRTY HOURS GETTING FREAKAAAY
kiwifarms.net
That sounds so stupid but watching the video makes it kind of endearing. Speaking of Dante, his thing is he’s usually carefree, snarking, and quipping one liners, but when he faces an opponent that could kick his ass and leaves him unable to just power through with his healing factor, he actually gets REALLY serious. You think Ruby Rose and the show in general should do something like that?

I think it would fit with the tone. I'd argue it's too late to do it with Ruby, but maybe have it become more of a shtick for Sun and Yang, or maybe even for Merc if you want to do it for a villain. Show that underneath all the snark and fuckery that he's still a major threat.

• Agree
Reactions: Fougaro

XtrmGamr719

kiwifarms.net
I think it would fit with the tone. I'd argue it's too late to do it with Ruby, but maybe have it become more of a shtick for Sun and Yang, or maybe even for Merc if you want to do it for a villain. Show that underneath all the snark and fuckery that he's still a major threat.
Just have Merc be like an asshole and in the end he just trounces RWBY/Ruby/nuJNPR?

Mercury being the Dante of RWBY fits him since Yuri Lowenthal is his VA.

First Aid Kit

kiwifarms.net
A lead animator leaves Rooster Teeth. You can find her works on her pinned tweet. She got promoted to lead animator at end of 2017, around the time when volume 5 was airing.

Screenshot_2019-10-19 ˗ˏˋKim Newmanˊˎ˗ on Twitter(1).png
Screenshot_2019-10-19 ˗ˏˋKim Newmanˊˎ˗ on Twitter.png

Edit: Her animation reels belows

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
And she was on Gen Lock! And I think went back to RWBY. Honestly, she was one of their best animators.
She was the animator who gave us the RETURN OF THE GUNCHUCKS as well as (I think????) a majority of the Tyrian vs. Qrow fight, which is considered one of the better fights in the new volumes. In my opinion she was shaping up to be the closest they've gotten to Monty-level fight choreography talent in a while, and I feel like they're absolutely shooting themselves in the foot by letting an animator like her go.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Sounds almost like the greentext story of the Bethesda "Dreamboy" employee. :story:

Cinder is a good example of picking up a cool concept, creating a character that by all means should be good and doing fuck all with it. Her backstory is, as you correctly noted, long overdue, with volume 4 being the best opportunity to show it. Since the bitch is based on Cinderella, Miles could have used that fairy tale as the backstory, but unlike Cinderella, Cinder never got her prince and Lionel Richie never dedicated a song to her. But Miles is a galaxy brained nibba and I'm just some random faggot, so what the fuck do I know?

Why Cinder hasn't been killed off a long time ago, I do not know. I speculate that Nigiri might be a factor. Then again, Monica Rial was only a brief unpleasant memory with the very few voice lines Sienna Khan (another wasted character) got.
Wait that was Monica? Oh crap her one scene has now become retroactively cathartic

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Say what you will about Linkara but their was this one point he made that's always stuck with me: Mysterious villains are fine but their needs to be some meat to them

Last edited:

Rondo Richter Belmont

kiwifarms.net
I never really understood this whole notion of Ruby and Cinder being rivals.

Ruby wasn't really that close to Pyrrha (At best they were semi-aquaintances), so her feeling emotionally devastated enough to go all Super Saiyan with her eyes never made any sense to me, and personally I would prefer the original plan where it was Jaune who got Pyrrha killed because she had to protect his untrained skinny ass but they changed because they were aware that had the original plan went down then Jaune would be more despised than Pyrrha's murderer due to having no combat skills that inevitably were fatal.

I prefer the original version more, because not only would Jaune come to terms with the realization that his lies WERE a dangerous thing that had consequences, but would be better than Ruby's SSJ Solar Flare and no explanation on the Silver-Eyed Warriors which took six goddamn volumes to reach.

Roland Daggett

President of Daggett Industries
kiwifarms.net
Say what you Linkara but their was this one point he made that's always stuck with me: Mysterious villains need to be created a backstory and/or endgame in mind or else they can come across as vapid and pretentious.
Yeah Linkara ended up being.... quite exceptional, but he has made some good points at times. I'll agree with that point about mysterious villains. The mystery is a tease hinting at something deeper. If there's a mystery with nothing behind it that's just an uninteresting smoke and mirrors. You end up with a character no one cares about. And that's what happened with Cinder. She was introduced with a mystery so you'd expect there to be some reveal about her backstory that explained her motivations, but that never came. We only ever got some generic idea that she wants power which doesn't explain anything. There needs to be some sort of backstory that explains why Cinder is doing what she's doing. How exactly did she meet Salem? What caused her to want to destroy Beacon? How did she get so powerful and what is her reason for wanting more power? We get nothing so Cinder just ends up being a completely vapid character.

I never really understood this whole notion of Ruby and Cinder being rivals.

Ruby wasn't really that close to Pyrrha (At best they were semi-aquaintances), so her feeling emotionally devastated enough to go all Super Saiyan with her eyes never made any sense to me, and personally I would prefer the original plan where it was Jaune who got Pyrrha killed because she had to protect his untrained skinny ass but they changed because they were aware that had the original plan went down then Jaune would be more despised than Pyrrha's murderer due to having no combat skills that inevitably were fatal.

I prefer the original version more, because not only would Jaune come to terms with the realization that his lies WERE a dangerous thing that had consequences, but would be better than Ruby's SSJ Solar Flare and no explanation on the Silver-Eyed Warriors which took six goddamn volumes to reach.
Cinder was built up as the big bad from the start of the show, and had a showdown with Ruby in episode 1, so her being the protagonist you'd expect there to be some direct conflict between them. That was teased again in Volume 2 when Ruby ran into Cinder in the CCT which just reinforced the idea that this was building to some sort of fight between the two. It's not hard to see why so many people expected a fight between the two or for RT to do something at all with them. But we got nothing cause Volume 3 was more concerned with turning Cinder into a villain sue and trying to contrive the most ridiculous scenario possible that they could kill Pyrrha off in. This stupidity in the writing is what lead to them having to rely on Ruby becoming a deus ex machina to save the day cause they had forced the story in the favor of the villains so hard it was literally impossible for the good guys not to all end up dead without changing things at the last minute, hence Ruby's super laser eyes.

And I'll disagree about Jaune causing Pyrrha's death being good. Sure it might be marginally better than what was got only because what we got was about as bad as it could possibly be, but it would only serve to ruin Jaune's character cause he had barely developed into a somewhat competent person and Pyrrha was literally the entirety of his character development, and with her gone Jaune's character goes down the drain. And considering the fandom already had a super mixed reception about Jaune anyways having him be responsible for getting Pyrrha killed (which was a stupid idea in the first place Monty was absolutely wrong with this) the fandom would completely revile Jaune and no one would care about his development after that. That would trash the only reason they had for killing Pyrrha which was to develop Jaune, and as the show has shown without Pyrrha Jaune has become an entirely dull character with no goals or development. They barely had Jaune interact with Ren and Nora which then made going forward without Pyrrha even worse of an idea because he's barely had a couple of scenes with his other teammates since they focused so hard on him interacting with Pyrrha. And this is such a massive disservice to Pyrrha cause right when they were starting to get into her character in Volume 2 she gets shoved into a nonsensical plotline about the Maidens and becomes the primary character focused on in the season literally to force her into a position to kill her off. Pyrrha still remains completely unexplored as a character and they barely touched on the fact that she's supposed to be a worldwide celebrity yet no one really seems to know that unless it becomes relevant, which it only was for a grand total of two scenes.

I agree Jaune should face some consequences for lying his way into Beacon but this is not the way to do it. Ruby's Silver Eyes ex Machina was a terrible idea but replacing it with another terrible idea won't fix it.

Rondo Richter Belmont

kiwifarms.net
Yeah Linkara ended up being.... quite exceptional, but he has made some good points at times. I'll agree with that point about mysterious villains. The mystery is a tease hinting at something deeper. If there's a mystery with nothing behind it that's just an uninteresting smoke and mirrors. You end up with a character no one cares about. And that's what happened with Cinder. She was introduced with a mystery so you'd expect there to be some reveal about her backstory that explained her motivations, but that never came. We only ever got some generic idea that she wants power which doesn't explain anything. There needs to be some sort of backstory that explains why Cinder is doing what she's doing. How exactly did she meet Salem? What caused her to want to destroy Beacon? How did she get so powerful and what is her reason for wanting more power? We get nothing so Cinder just ends up being a completely vapid character.

Cinder was built up as the big bad from the start of the show, and had a showdown with Ruby in episode 1, so her being the protagonist you'd expect there to be some direct conflict between them. That was teased again in Volume 2 when Ruby ran into Cinder in the CCT which just reinforced the idea that this was building to some sort of fight between the two. It's not hard to see why so many people expected a fight between the two or for RT to do something at all with them. But we got nothing cause Volume 3 was more concerned with turning Cinder into a villain sue and trying to contrive the most ridiculous scenario possible that they could kill Pyrrha off in. This stupidity in the writing is what lead to them having to rely on Ruby becoming a deus ex machina to save the day cause they had forced the story in the favor of the villains so hard it was literally impossible for the good guys not to all end up dead without changing things at the last minute, hence Ruby's super laser eyes.

And I'll disagree about Jaune causing Pyrrha's death being good. Sure it might be marginally better than what was got only because what we got was about as bad as it could possibly be, but it would only serve to ruin Jaune's character cause he had barely developed into a somewhat competent person and Pyrrha was literally the entirety of his character development, and with her gone Jaune's character goes down the drain. And considering the fandom already had a super mixed reception about Jaune anyways having him be responsible for getting Pyrrha killed (which was a stupid idea in the first place Monty was absolutely wrong with this) the fandom would completely revile Jaune and no one would care about his development after that. That would trash the only reason they had for killing Pyrrha which was to develop Jaune, and as the show has shown without Pyrrha Jaune has become an entirely dull character with no goals or development. They barely had Jaune interact with Ren and Nora which then made going forward without Pyrrha even worse of an idea because he's barely had a couple of scenes with his other teammates since they focused so hard on him interacting with Pyrrha. And this is such a massive disservice to Pyrrha cause right when they were starting to get into her character in Volume 2 she gets shoved into a nonsensical plotline about the Maidens and becomes the primary character focused on in the season literally to force her into a position to kill her off. Pyrrha still remains completely unexplored as a character and they barely touched on the fact that she's supposed to be a worldwide celebrity yet no one really seems to know that unless it becomes relevant, which it only was for a grand total of two scenes.

I agree Jaune should face some consequences for lying his way into Beacon but this is not the way to do it. Ruby's Silver Eyes ex Machina was a terrible idea but replacing it with another terrible idea won't fix it.
Thanks for clearing up the Cinder v. Ruby thing for me, I can understand that better and now see why everything went down the toilet even worse than I did before in regards to the earlier Volumes.

Eh, let's agree to disagree with the final version of the Pyrrha death and the Original Plan but I am in agreement over what Jaune would have faced if they went with the original plan because it would become his sole "Never Live It Down" moment before becoming completely solidified as the Scrappy for a long time that it wouldn't ever really leave him.

The whole lying thing when it came to it just didn't really matter as it never gets brought up again after Jaundice;Despite it being a big deal from the foreshadowing of Glynda finding his manuscripts odd, to Jaune making himself the bitch boy of Cardin's to avoid getting exposed and after it's over it ultimately was pointless....It could've been scrapped entirely from the story, and not one thing would be lost to the viewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Daggett

Roland Daggett

President of Daggett Industries
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for clearing up the Cinder v. Ruby thing for me, I can understand that better and now see why everything went down the toilet even worse than I did before in regards to the earlier Volumes.

Eh, let's agree to disagree with the final version of the Pyrrha death and the Original Plan but I am in agreement over what Jaune would have faced if they went with the original plan because it would become his sole "Never Live It Down" moment before becoming completely solidified as the Scrappy for a long time that it wouldn't ever really leave him.

The whole lying thing when it came to it just didn't really matter as it never gets brought up again after Jaundice;Despite it being a big deal from the foreshadowing of Glynda finding his manuscripts odd, to Jaune making himself the bitch boy of Cardin's to avoid getting exposed and after it's over it ultimately was pointless....It could've been scrapped entirely from the story, and not one thing would be lost to the viewer.
You're welcome with explaining the Ruby vs Cinder thing.

I absolutely agree about there needing to be follow up regarding Jaune cheating his way into Beacon. I mean Ren and Nora didn't even find out. Imagine if Jaune told them and that caused a rift in team JNPR because Ren and Nora now feel upset that Jaune lied to them too. What about Ruby finding out and being mad at Jaune because she takes being a Huntress seriously and worked hard to get to Beacon when he lied his way in. This would give Jaune his own arc about having to rebuild that lost trust with them. There's more they can do but that stuff was just off the top of my head. There did need to be consequences for Jaune cheating his way into Beacon, I just don't think it needed something as severe as someone dying.

But yeah it's a shame that one of the more interesting subplots in Volume 1 which was actually successfully foreshadowed earlier in the season (genuinely one of the only times anything in the show was successfully foreshadowed without being painfully obvious) was ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things. That has become a depressing running trend with the show.

Tags
None