Soundtracks that are better than the movie. -

Syaoran Li

Disney Delenda Est
kiwifarms.net
O Brother Where Art Thou? is a great movie in and of itself, but the soundtrack for it is legendary. It also helped spark a lot of renewed interest in bluegrass music in the 2000's and 2010's. Hell, the first two CD's I ever bought with my own money were the movie's soundtrack and the CD re-issue of Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill back when I was a kid.

The original recording of Big Rock Candy Mountain (played in the movie's opening credits) is one of my favorites, along with the iconic "Man of Constant Sorrow" and classics such as "I'll Fly Away" and "Keep On The Sunny Side"

Chichan

kiwifarms.net
I know I should feel bad and I do the first 50 shades movie is absolute garbage, but I found myself liking some of the soundtrack.
To name a few:
  1. Haunted(Beyonce) The music video is interesting to say the least.
  2. Undiscovered(Laura Welsh)
  3. Earned it(The Weekend)
  4. One last night(Vaults)
  5. I put a spell on you(Annie Lenox) Its composed differently in 50 shades, but I can't tell the difference.

Reactions: tehpope

HighwayStar

kiwifarms.net
Last Action Hero Soundtrack. I mean, come on. This album had Queensryche, Fishbone, Megadeth, Anthrax, Def Leppard, Aerosmith and not one but two Alice in Chains songs. What more could you want?

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned, but here's a few I can think of offhand:

Juice
Kids
Bulworth (both the movie and the soundtrack are better than you'd expect, but the soundtrack is better)
He Got Game

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
kiwifarms.net
Zabriskie Point (1970) Michelangelo Antonioni's misbegotten attempt to capture the essence of young America in the late 60's.

The soundtrack, however, is great stoned music for your next drive across the Mojave desert, featuring Pink Floyd (whose haunting sound collage accompanies the opening credits, and who provide several key songs), Jerry Garcia (whose instrumental is arguably the most beautiful music he ever played), Grateful Dead in the form of the crescendo from "Dark Star", alternative acoustic master John Fahey ("Dance of Death"), hippie stalwarts The Youngbloods (the psych-country "Sugar Babe"), L.A.-based psych cult group Kaleidoscope, anthropological digs in Appalachian banjoist Roscoe Holcomb to a mournful Patti Page as relics from the dusty desert past.

It works as an album and even worked well in the film, which is a guilty pleasure of mine despite its myriad and obvious flaws (not least of which was hiring non-actors for the lead roles). The doomed (read his life story) Mark Frechette was relatively convincing, but Daria Halprin is so wooden,the tumbleweeds have more life. The film largely loses its own plot midway through. But some of the scenes are pretty funny, and it has its moments. The music really saves what there is to be saved.

The movie bombed bigtime and turned the highly esteemed Antonioni into a laughing stock for awhile. He never made an English language film again. His only other one, "Blow Up" (1966) is considered a masterpiece of its era.

The music hangs together on its own, although needless to say the music and the film both work better if you are sufficiently baked...

Trailer:

The whole shebang:

Last edited:

tehpope

privacytools.io | prism-break.org
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Trainspotting Soundtrack is slightly better than the film. Just slightly. But the Blade Runner OST is GOAT and a million times better than the snorefest of a film.

The Crow had some boss songs and covers.
Ghost Ride is GOAT. The 10 min full length take I mean.

Graffiti Bridge deserves a spot in this thread. As does Purple Rain. And Under the Cherry Moon. All lame movies, with awesome soundtracks.
GB is a bit hit or miss for me. The Prince and Time tracks are great, but the rest is meh.

• Informative
Reactions: Chichan

Chichan

kiwifarms.net
I would say the majority of Tim Burton movies. Don't get me wrong I like the movies, but the soundtracks/song numbers bring it more to life.
Examples would be The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. 🥰 💀

ToYo

kiwifarms.net
I'd say Tangerine Dream's score for Michael Mann's "The Keep". I'm a bit of a fan of the film itself, but TD's score is quite possibly my favourite thing about it. It's a shame the soundtrack hasn't seen an official release of some kind; same goes for the movie itself which hasn't been released outside of VHS/LaserDisc

eterna

Planet Earth is blue And there's nothing I can do
kiwifarms.net
Two. My Immortal and Bring Me to Life. Both within five minutes of each other if I recall.
Ah, I only remembered My Immortal but I thought there might have been more. It was a trash movie but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like those songs.

• Agree
Reactions: Overcast

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
Lost Boys.
And that's because while the film is pretty enjoyable the soundtrack is godlike.
That Echo and the Bunnymen cover of People are Strange might be the best cover of the 80s.

I'll add Airheads. Barely breaks 20 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Primus, The Ramones, Anthrax, White Zombie... Born to Raise Hell is just pure, distilled Lemmy. Technically a cover, but Lemmy wrote it, and the movie version just further shows that Ice-T shows up in everything.

• Feels
Reactions: escapegoat
I'd say Tangerine Dream's score for Michael Mann's "The Keep". I'm a bit of a fan of the film itself, but TD's score is quite possibly my favourite thing about it. It's a shame the soundtrack hasn't seen an official release of some kind; same goes for the movie itself which hasn't been released outside of VHS/LaserDisc

I like the film, flaws and all. Unfortunately it looks like it may never be released again on home video, unless Michael Mann croaks. I enjoy the score even more than the film though. If you're a completist like me, then you know that gathering up all of the many, many bootlegs and versions of this soundtrack is daunting (for me its an ongoing quest).

ToYo

kiwifarms.net
I like the film, flaws and all. Unfortunately it looks like it may never be released again on home video, unless Michael Mann croaks. I enjoy the score even more than the film though. If you're a completist like me, then you know that gathering up all of the many, many bootlegs and versions of this soundtrack is daunting (for me its an ongoing quest).
What I would love more than anything is to see Mann's original 240 minute cut fully restored, but unfortunately that seems to be in the realm of impossibility. The bootleg soundtracks are a tough one; there are so many different one's but there doesn't seem to be any agreed upon definitive one. I'm happy enough listening to TD's "Logos" album that the film took some of the music from. Honestly, I'd be happy with just a clean, studio recording of the "Walking in the Air" cover that plays at the end of the movie. It's one of my favourite TD pieces!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino