Star Control: Origins removed from Steam after DMCA takedown notice - Reboot taken down by DMCA

Jaimas

DUNMAGLASS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Their claims on the races sold in the DLC are rock solid. This shit with the "hyperspace" image are questionable. The official stardock forums you linked to only list a squarespace upload. After some searching the original source of this chart is Brad Wardell's twatter. Supposedly it comes from the court documents but I can't find it though the suit is a fucking mess with hundreds of documents and pages. Even if it was uploaded, it isn't necessarily claiming they invented this concept but could instead be used to establish that the alleged copyright infringing material is a derivative work.

I realize Wardell and some rancid cunt crossed paths in the Autism Holy War but I really don't think there's a connection beyond kicking an enemy when he's down.
Like I said, I'm like 99% sure that's the only reason.

"But Jaimas," one may ask: "What about the 1%?"

Look, the last time we were down this road, if you had told me, when things began, that we would have honest-to-god evidence that dozens of individual lolcows and power groups associated with each were actively involved with one another, to the point of willing to An Hero their careers for the sake of a whore whose sole accomplishment was a fucking Twine game, I'd have laughed and asked for some of what you'd been drinking. We know where that led eventually. So while I'n almost entirely sure this is just the usual assholes getting in their two minutes hate, I'm resolved to not really be surprised by anything in this autistic fuck-fest, and @Cubanodun has nicely surmised why.

Capsaicin Addict

Just a fellow who loves spicy food.
kiwifarms.net
All I gotta say is that I really enjoyed Starflight 1, and while 2 had one of the most autistically stupid setting decisions I've ever seen (locking off half the goddamn map via nigh-unkillable aliens), it was damned cool to set up and run trade routes.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
All I gotta say is that I really enjoyed Starflight 1, and while 2 had one of the most autistically stupid setting decisions I've ever seen (locking off half the goddamn map via nigh-unkillable aliens), it was damned cool to set up and run trade routes.
Im playing the Genesis version of Starflight 1 and the only great difference i have feel compared to Star Control is that the thing is more focused on your only ship, not like Star control that you can have tons of them, landing in planets is a little complicated, the tank behave almost the same as in Star Control,beside that is like "if you dont want to waste your time creating a fleet then this is your game"

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

Just a fellow who loves spicy food.
kiwifarms.net
Im playing the Genesis version of Starflight 1 and the only great difference i have feel compared to Star Control is that the thing is more focused on your only ship, not like Star control that you can have tons of them, landing in planets is little complicated, the tank behave almost the same as in Star Control,beside that is like "if you dont want to waste your time creating a fleet then this is your game"
SF1 and 2 were definitely more about you and your one ship. Upgrade the hell out of it, sure, but you only had the one ship and crew.

I remember reading about some of the differences between the DOS and Genesis versions. I think the change that irked me is that supposedly, you can't kill off the Uhleks in the Genesis version. Damn.

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally some updates from Reiche and Fort about that they think have copyrighted and their claims are so moronic that is laughable

View attachment 629415

Practically they were nitpicking, next time you want Disney suing everyone that put FTL Travel with blue lasers, you have coordinates in you game? HERESY SUED, Autopilot? SUED

One of the arrows is missing but when you are out of fuel one of the slugs appear and tow you to earth free of charge, if by price mean have to listen their annoying star trek fanfiction then that is another thing

Edit: Updated chart
If they were worried about people copying game mechanics they were supposed to put out patents for it (like the infamous mini game load screen patent or EA's dialogue wheel patent) and that happens quite a lot in gaming to the point where it's been accused of harming innovation. The thing is, patents expire after 20 years.

Star Control 2 came out in 1992, any patents covering it's gameplay would have expired in 2012.

Jaimas

DUNMAGLASS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they were worried about people copying game mechanics they were supposed to put out patents for it (like the infamous mini game load screen patent or EA's dialogue wheel patent) and that happens quite a lot in gaming to the point where it's been accused of harming innovation. The thing is, patents expire after 20 years.

Star Control 2 came out in 1992, any patents covering it's gameplay would have expired in 2012.
A really fucking good point, considering that they've done fuck all with the IP since.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
It was renewed in 2016 according to the trademark website, as far as i know Stardock adquired the Star Control trademark and everything related to Star Control 3, someone early said that the aliens were one of the causes that they were nuked by a DMCA but, if we believe Wardell words, then he could use them because aliens like for example the Arilou appears in Star Control 3, ergo he has the rights to use them, dont take my word seriously because i dont know anything about copyright laws but more or less that is the idea im having right now

If you put like this the main problem we are having is that the original devs are complaining about things taken from Star Control 2, but Wardell can just spin this as "we have the rights of Star Control 3, the things you are claiming are from Star Control 2, the mechanics and aliens of 2 were also in Star Control 3 so by logic if its is in Star Control 3 we can use it"

Wondering if some troll could manage to get the rights of Protostar just to fuck with the devs of Star Control/EA

Last edited:

Safir

kiwifarms.net
fyi @ thread

Patent
: protects an invention, as in, a new method of doing something. Must be actively applied for and approved (criteria: new, useful), expires in 20 years, cannot be extended or renewed unless the govt interferes in a big way.

Copyright: protects a creative work. Applies automatically, lasts approximately forever (thanks Disney). Ideas, existing words, and game rules can't be copyrighted. Titles sometimes can be copyrighted in the sense that you might not be able to call your own work the same but can always be freely republished to identify the original work.

Trademark: protects the unique identifier of a good or service from copycats in the interest of both the manufacturer and the consumers. Must be actively applied for and approved (criteria: no similar active trademarks in that market segment), can last forever but must be regularly renewed. Trade dress is a similar concept that protects even unregistered designs against malicious fakes.

Moral rights: protect the author's feefees. Vary between jurisdictions, can last literally forever, can't be transferred except to heirs.

There's some overlap: for example, it's possible to patent a method of making art or doing something in a performance, to trademark a character's name or "distinctive likeness", to claim copyright on an expired trademark logo. Sometimes there's a lot of conflicting overlap. Cconsider the world generation algorithm of Dwarf Fortress: it's clearly a useful invention, but some arbitrary artistic decisions went into it, too, but it's also technically "game rules", but also a good case can be made for it qualifying as a trade secret, and regardless of which of these wins out, in the grim darkness of the far future when humanity is busily exterminating Squats, the intellectual heir of the Adams brothers could say, "Using the algorithm that's meant to celebrate the hidden beauty of nature for military simulations would make Zach sad. Don't."

(Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I did sit next to a patent attorney and handle her mail for five years.)

ducktales4gameboy

git branch -d giant_boobs
kiwifarms.net
Fucking late to this thread but I've been following the whole thing since before SC:O was announced and the only thing to add is that there were some pithy emails between Brad and the Toys for Bob team that got posted a couple years back when the whole copyright transfer happened. They were enough to create some enmity between the two companies but I was really just hoping that TfB would just quietly crank out a new game that did everything Origins did but better and get classy revenge on Stardock, but now we're stuck in an autism holy war that threatens to consume the galaxy.

Finally some updates from Reiche and Fort about that they think have copyrighted and their claims are so moronic that is laughable
View attachment 629415
Edit: Updated chart
The worst thing about Origins is that the humor is like a B-grade Hitchhiker's Guide knockoff that really doesn't try to stay consistent at all so you never get invested in it or have any real reason to give a shit about what's going to happen or how to play alien races against eachother like you can in 2. One of the species' gimmicks is that they're constantly hitting on you and just straight-up want to fuck you all the time and their personality is repellant and unfunny in the same way that cringy furry posts are. The reason I bring this up now is that what this chart won't tell you is that when an alien shows up in Origins to tow you, it's THAT alien and the "For a price.." is that you have to listen to them read you Kirk/Spock slashfic while they tow you.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
how to play alien races against eachother like you can in 2
Yeah almost every alien species you can get alliances with them, excluding a couple of optionals that even when is not required to complete the game, is recommended so you can travel freely like for example The Measured

"For a price.." is that you have to listen to them read you Kirk/Spock slashfic while they tow you.
Yeah, you can skip it but the first time is hilariously bad

Other of the things that i found funny is how everyone bully you because your ship is by galactic standards and quoting the game "a piece of crap with a Hyperdrive attached" , i found it funny because i finished the game only using the Vindicator

Jaimas

DUNMAGLASS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been a really bad couple of weeks for those who hate Brad Wardell.
First up, Star Control: Origins got the stamp of approval from Yahtzee and was one of his best games of the year:

Then, Origins went back up on Steam:

Brad Victory Lap.png

Then, Brad indicated that Steam and GOG are none too pleased with PRIII/FF's shit, and that is a major reason the game's back up:
Uhoh.png

Very interested in seeing what comes of this.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino