Superhot VR removes scenes implying self harm citing "sensitive times", steam users lose it. - Can we no longer be trusted with adult themes and touchy subjects?

mister meaner

Average Tard Baby enjoyer
kiwifarms.net
(Please let me know if this thread has already been made, or if it has/has not been posted to the wrong subforum and I'll delete this post I, couldn't find anything talking about this)

Recently, the overpriced VR title superhot has recently removed all self harm content, in turn removing a large portion of the game and most of it's plot, assumingly cause some troons complained, despite the devs denying this claim.

archive

“Skip disturbing scenes” toggle was added in a previous update. Considering sensitive time we’re living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better. All scenes alluding to self harm are now completely removed from the game. These scenes have no place in superhot virtual reality. We regret it took us so long.

We’re commited to shipping this update to all vr platforms.

-superhot team

Naturally, steam users whinged.
1626941387613.png

1626941402413.png

archive
1626949790436.png

1626941531597.png

An alledged dev has responded, too (no proof, could just be a troll) :

archive

This is a valid point to which I have no answer. Yes, we did cut out a portion of the game, one of those that stirred some discussions.

However, I can personally ensure you that this wasn't really due to, how people on Steam like to put it, "snowflakes" forcing us. In all reality - there was no real outside force on us. This really was a decision driven by a feeling that the way the world looks now, the world in which we are and were to a large extent forced to separate from all other people and spend all of our time mostly alone, has changed the way this part of the game works. It's no longer just striking. We felt that people became a bit too lonely in general, to allow our game to incite this heavy depressive feeling. That there's just too much sadness to allow our game (something that should let you disassociate from the reality at least for a bit) drive people a little bit too far.

You know, I won't get into gritty details, but I personally really dislike how mental health institutions are portrayed in media. It's always so dark. It makes people feel like seeking help is equal to self-harm actually.
But in normal circumstances I can just, you know, appreciate the art. The story of, say, Lovecraftian horror. I can put my feelings about the social side of such portrayals aside.
Now, if the world was somehow under influence of a real mental health plague (there's no such thing, but let's imagine), I probably wouldn't be able to put my feelings aside like that.

And that's the thing. Lately there was just too much sadness and loneliness in the world, and we couldn't have predicted it when we made the game. But now the social context of those scenes has changed, so we took action.
Frankly, it's almost 1 AM in Poland here, so if I may - can I ask not to raise ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥? Discussion is fine, but not ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, please

Do you think this is sensitivity gone mad, or a fair call?
Seems to me like it's all fun and games putting touchy subjects in your vr shooter until it barely impacts you somewhat, then it's "YOU DESERVE BETTER" time.
Updating and formatting this post as I find more info.

Last edited:

Megatardingo

Le lava cola u mad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jesus christ it's a videogame not real life. Is the general public so fucked up that they can no longer distinguish works of fictions from reality? That may be a bigger problem than a muh wahwah there's a bad scene in my killing game ugu and I doubt there's a fucking toggle for that. Time to serve cyanide to schizos.

Clout $ Monei

Always make a good impression.
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait for the "Period(s) of off-topic review activity detected." warning to kick in, even though the reviews are directly about the removal/altering of parts of the game.
Even if the devs genuinely feel bad looking at their work and how it portrays self harm or suicide, I don't understand the need to go back on it rather than accept that you made it in another time, and move on. They could even address it in a sequel, build on the theme in a way that fits their current views, etc.
If this type of "update" becomes normal, we could see it happen to other games. I'm thinking about franchises that get bought by publishers years after too. They might be tempted to edit whatever doesn't fly anymore in $CURRENTYEAR.

Yuuichirou Kumada

Second chaddest simp in anime
kiwifarms.net
Is the general public so fucked up that they can no longer distinguish works of fictions from reality?
Nope. This generation not only thinks depictions of bad things mean necessarily condoning of said things (see: rape in GoT, use of slurs in God knows how many works of fiction), it also needs constant validation and nothing to hurt their feelings when things don't go their way.
In fact, things must go their way, or else they throw a fit. Imagine these people trying their hand at survivalism.

Crazedking

kiwifarms.net
Ive never played the game but can someone explain to me the suicide/self harm part of the game? i thought superhot was just a shooter using matrix style effects slowdown as gameplay.

mister meaner

kiwifarms.net
Ive never played the game but can someone explain to me the suicide/self harm part of the game? i thought superhot was just a shooter using matrix style effects slowdown as gameplay.
I haven't played in a while but I'll try summarize it from memory as concise as possible.
This is basically a retelling of the plot from the original superhot, the vr one has a similar story.

You play as a poor nigger on a comically old ass looking computer, then your shitty friend sends you this "really cool game stolen from a game company" or some shit, and you boot it up and it's SUPERHOT.exe where you play as a sperg who can control time and do some cool time shit while you kill red fags. Then the game plays like a shitty creepypasta and goes "haha u should quit STOP PLAYING" then u get to a really meta level where you walk in a room and you see your own fat ass sitting vegetate at the computer playing the game, then you punch yourself in the head like a tard for no reason. Then you black out then come back to the game for some reason, and this time it's beckoning for you to play it and you upload ur own consciousness to the game servers or some shit (known as the CORE) and then in the last level u shoot urself in the head and ur ded. U then turn into a shitty ghost who also can't shut the fuck up about this game online to recruit more people to join the pyramid scheme.

I think the vr version has some similar shit happening where you kill your own character in the videogame (with the red cunts), can't remember how it contributes to the plot but it's a somewhat insignificant part until near the end. (afaik)

The Marauder

HAUGH! *SHING*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the vr version has some similar shit happening where you kill your own character in the videogame (with the red cunts), can't remember how it contributes to the plot but it's a somewhat insignificant part until near the end. (afaik)
In Superhot VR, you prove your worth by shooting yourself in game, jumping off a building in game, then at the end, you destroy the in game pyramid and shoot yourself IRL to transcend into the network. It’s just a retelling of Superhot, but more extreme, and it’s great.

5D6AA873-269E-4107-843B-830B1B9DB2B4.jpeg0FE54820-6117-495D-A591-A2084A08B656.jpeg

Last edited:

mister meaner

kiwifarms.net
In Superhot VR, you prove your worth by shooting yourself in game, jumping off a building in game, then at the end, you destroy the in game pyramid and shoot yourself IRL to transcend into the network. It’s just a retelling of Superhot, but more extreme, and it’s great.
View attachment 2369817View attachment 2369818
Thanks for the explanation! I had kind of forgotten... As for those screenshots, this could be evidence that the "this wasn't really due to 'snowflakes' forcing us." claim is bullshit. Good to see the devs pandering to these random ass people as opposed to most of the playerbase who liked the storytelling.

mister meaner

kiwifarms.net