Tabletop Community Watch

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I will summarize without having watched more than a few minutes of it. So you start with some TL;DR nerd drama about mean tweets between people you have never heard of (but they are really bad), then you do the guilt by association chain until you arrive at HITLOR Uncle Varg, before moving on to the WORST racist of the Internet: HITLOR
Pewdiepie. Really.

There was probably something about Gamergate in there, but no fucking way am I watching the whole thing.
I recommend James Desbrough's rebuttal (he was attacked personally). It'll give you a sense of the thing at the same time while dismantling it by a calm, reasonable Brit.

Inquisitor_BadAss

Been that bitch. Still that bitch.
kiwifarms.net
I recommend James Desbrough's rebuttal (he was attacked personally). It'll give you a sense of the thing at the same time while dismantling it by a calm, reasonable Brit.

Gamer Gate. It’s always Gamer Gate. Why does this always come back to Gamer Gate? It’s been almost a decade at this point and they’re talking like it happened yesterday. Everyone involved was cringe as hell and now completely irrelevant in the online sphere where GG existed exclusively.
I forget it even happened until someone mentions it. This wasn’t 9/11 2.0 it was fat retards screaming at other fat retards. I’m honestly shocked they didn’t try and throw in Russian bots. Also calling yourself an Anarchist when you’re clearly middle aged is just as stupid.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gamer Gate. It’s always Gamer Gate. Why does this always come back to Gamer Gate? It’s been almost a decade at this point and they’re talking like it happened yesterday. Everyone involved was cringe as hell and now completely irrelevant in the online sphere where GG existed exclusively.
I forget it even happened until someone mentions it. This wasn’t 9/11 2.0 it was fat retards screaming at other fat retards. I’m honestly shocked they didn’t try and throw in Russian bots. Also calling yourself an Anarchist when you’re clearly middle aged is just as stupid.

Powerlevel, but maybe illuminating: Gamergate never made any impression on me whatsoever because at the exact time the story exploded, my mother was on her deathbed from cancer. Consequently, nearly everything around it has struck me as the most insane overreaction imaginable. Perspective, little autists.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They need an excuse to blame their misery on. Also they think it's still an effective cudgel due to echo chambers.

Flexo

I can't feel emotions
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because it was the first time the Left ever got pushback from the culture and was told "no."

Imagine a spoiled brat who has been indulged their whole life being told no for the first time in 20 years and the whole thing makes sense.

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
Because it was the first time the Left ever got pushback from the culture and was told "no."

Imagine a spoiled brat who has been indulged their whole life being told no for the first time in 20 years and the whole thing makes sense.
It was the first time they had to confront the fact that they run the "Establishment." A movement founded on pretending to be anti-establishment and cool can't let people realize it's a gay boring hegemony.

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
kiwifarms.net
Heads up, nerds. Zak Sabbath is dishing again and we've got a cow community cross-over with Lowtax's misguided children.

And he's finally starting to realize something that we learned a long time ago.
GoonsAllTheWayDown.png

Ghostse

Gorilla Channel Executive Producer
kiwifarms.net

SA's Tabletop discusions around the 4e time frame didn't suck 4e's cock. Mostly they weren't hostile to it like a lot of the other parts of the internet, so I guess for someone super mad about 4e that would be the same thing.

There were still lots of people playing 3.5 and pathfinder and talking about their games, and I remember some posters still preferring 2e, just admitting it was complex. OSR wasn't really 'a thing' so no one was talking about B/X/1e/AD&D and mostly A) those systems had a rep for just being stupidly lethal and punishing on players. and B) DTRPG wasn't 'a thing' so reprints/HQ PDF scans were not easy to come by.

However Ettin is a massive fucking tool, and he and his cadre of self-important toadies can go get fucked.

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
kiwifarms.net
SA's Tabletop discusions around the 4e time frame didn't suck 4e's cock. Mostly they weren't hostile to it like a lot of the other parts of the internet, so I guess for someone super mad about 4e that would be the same thing.

There were still lots of people playing 3.5 and pathfinder and talking about their games, and I remember some posters still preferring 2e, just admitting it was complex. OSR wasn't really 'a thing' so no one was talking about B/X/1e/AD&D and mostly A) those systems had a rep for just being stupidly lethal and punishing on players. and B) DTRPG wasn't 'a thing' so reprints/HQ PDF scans were not easy to come by.

However Ettin is a massive fucking tool, and he and his cadre of self-important toadies can go get fucked.
DTRPG was absolutely a thing during the 4e era. I was buying OoP books off of it as far back as 2010.

DuranceVile

of Dunshelm
kiwifarms.net
SA around the time 4E came out was one of the few places that didn't seem to have hostility towards 4E. A lot of content in the old grognards.txt came from particularly hot takes on 4E from scattered forums across the net. Those takes generally boiled down to nerds (wizards) who never emotionally left high school angry that the jocks (fighters) got more exciting things to do in 4E. That thread gradually turned into a wrongthink hunting party, coincidentally around the time Ettin got modded.

Sadly tradgames was one of several patient zeros for the terminally online leftoid infestation of SA. The friggin' football subforum being another one. Winson_Paine was a better mod than Ettin by far, but even he allowed absolute lunatics like Arivia (the troon who got the tranny joke poem removed from Pillars of Eternity) to stay around despite him doing his best to argue everything in the baddest of faiths.

But tradgames still produced the great prestige class treatise, "If you want to be the dogfucker, you have to fuck the dog" so I've got some nostalgia for it. Sad!

DuranceVile

of Dunshelm
kiwifarms.net
Say what you will about 4E but it has way more content than 5th edition. I think it would have rolled over better if they made it as a board game and not a weird hybrid thats supposed to replace 3rd edition.
I think 4E broadly had the right idea, to fix the divide between casters and non-casters. It just couldn't help loading itself down with cruft that made it a headache to play even with a computer tracking all the modifiers. I am still shocked they never made a 4E CRPG. That's basically a perfect medium for that system. I'd still take a Baldur's Gate style game with the 4E ruleset.

I played 5E for one campaign. We kept asking when it was going to stop being bland and come online. It never did.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Say what you will about 4E but it has way more content than 5th edition. I think it would have rolled over better if they made it as a board game and not a weird hybrid thats supposed to replace 3rd edition.
Pretty sure I mentioned it before, but I would love to see 4E brought back but rebranded as "D&D Tactics" instead. I loved it as a game but it's impossible to get people to look past the "durr hurr you can't roleplay in it". At least everybody had a choice of shit to do every turn.

Meanwhile their 5e characters have archetypes designed to constrain character concepts so hard they might as well be gimp suits.

Shaka Brah

kiwifarms.net
I think 4E broadly had the right idea, to fix the divide between casters and non-casters. It just couldn't help loading itself down with cruft that made it a headache to play even with a computer tracking all the modifiers. I am still shocked they never made a 4E CRPG. That's basically a perfect medium for that system. I'd still take a Baldur's Gate style game with the 4E ruleset.

I played 5E for one campaign. We kept asking when it was going to stop being bland and come online. It never did.
Also a lot of the mobs introduced before MM3 were health sponges, which made the entire game unfun to play. I can imagine that soured people's attitudes towards it.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also a lot of the mobs introduced before MM3 were health sponges, which made the entire game unfun to play. I can imagine that soured people's attitudes towards it.
This is probably what made one of the guys I game with legit hate DnD and not play it until he found out about 5e and 3.5. What happened was I brought DnD 4e up out of curiosity since I only made a character, never got to play. The very first reaction I got out of it was "Oh yeah, the game that made me avoid DND for years!"

Shaka Brah

kiwifarms.net
This is probably what made one of the guys I game with legit hate DnD and not play it until he found out about 5e and 3.5. What happened was I brought DnD 4e up out of curiosity since I only made a character, never got to play. The very first reaction I got out of it was "Oh yeah, the game that made me avoid DND for years!"
It's really a shame too since the game is actually insanely fun. After MM3 and before they added all the gay new rules near the end it was some of the most tactical miniatures combat I've ever seen in an RPG. Being a former battletech and warhams player it really got me into D&D more than I had been before.

DuranceVile

of Dunshelm
kiwifarms.net
I loved it as a game but it's impossible to get people to look past the "durr hurr you can't roleplay in it". At least everybody had a choice of shit to do every turn.
I never understood this criticism. It's like they think 4E creeps into their brains and removes their ability to roleplay. Now if you wanted to say you don't like 4E because it makes most encounters more complicated than they have to be, I'm with you. But you can talk to your friends in silly voices as much as you want, just like in 3.5.

There's actually a nifty little RPG called Strike, originally titled The Scared Barbecue, that aimed to be 4E without all the D&D trappings. I've played a full 1 to 10 (max level) campaign with it and it was a blast. It also helps that it keeps all the numbers small, because I'm ancient by gaming terms and don't have the mental energy to sperg out over math in a pretend paper game anymore.
I will admit I have some negative table experiences that bias me against 3.5, whereas I had a much better time with the 4E group. 3.5 was an early TTRP experience, and I got saddled with a few narcissistic "real role-players" whose "authentic roleplay characters" coincidentally could also break the system in half. I don't think it's entirely fair to 3.5, the caster supremacy problems aside.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's really a shame too since the game is actually insanely fun. After MM3 and before they added all the gay new rules near the end it was some of the most tactical miniatures combat I've ever seen in an RPG. Being a former battletech and warhams player it really got me into D&D more than I had been before.
That bit there makes me realize I probably wouldn't have liked 4e all that much then. I'm not a big fan of minis gaming; something with that combat style and pacing goes out of fun and into tedious for me.

Well that and my big experiences with it were with WAAC players. I've genuinely tried to play things like Battletech and even Fantasy, but alas it holds no appeal.
I will admit I have some negative table experiences that bias me against 3.5, whereas I had a much better time with the 4E group. 3.5 was an early TTRP experience, and I got saddled with a few narcissistic "real role-players" whose "authentic roleplay characters" coincidentally could also break the system in half. I don't think it's entirely fair to 3.5, the caster supremacy problems aside.
I mean that's fair; the retarded Treadheads from 40k did a great job in turning me off from the setting until I played Dawn of War due to it reminding me of my beloved RTS games. Then Dark Heresy convinced me it was a fun setting.

I can do grimdark, but I won't stand listening to you gush about how many men your commissar blams per match or how the Death Korps are super cool because of how they throw themselves at death and look like krauts in WWI and *insert krautaboo shit*, that kills a lot of interest. Yes, that was something I had to deal with from a dude who loved the minis. Yes it made me really not like the setting due to how pushy and how bad he was at selling the plot.