Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Apologies if this is deemed 'off-topic':
There is a GREAT PNP 'story/world management tool' on Steam for FREE called Ikarus.
This tool really shows promise. I can also see this being useful for writing fantasy or possible other fiction.
The whole thing is freeware with no copyrights assumed. No ads, no mining bots. Simple, but effective.
Demonstration:

(I am not paid or receiving anything by the Ikarus team, I got it for free just like everyone can)

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've had a neat little idea, just a tiny inspiration for a line of quests, based on the german chivalry tale of Parcival and his quest for the holy grail.
There, the holy grail can only be seen by true Christians, which means Parcival's pagan half-brother has to convert to Christianity before being able to see it.

So I was thinking, maybe it would be kinda fun to send my group on a wild goose chase for some similar divine artifact, but (without their knowledge) there are a string of situations where they and their morals are tested and challenged.
For instance a situation where they can choose between being pious and honest, which makes things complicated or choosing to lie and achieving their immediate goal much easier and quicker. And depending on how well they fare, they either end up being able to see/touch/interact with the divine artifact or not.
Might even be fun to contemplate adding a bit of a Covenant of the Arc-style aspect, where people who horrendeously fail at these divine tests by doing genuinely vile stuff get killed when they try to grab the artifact...

I will have to contemplate this further, but it sounds like a neat little storyline, depending on how I flesh it out.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
I've always wanted to do something based loosely on Sadko , involving a quest for the Bluebird of Happiness, rumored to be held in a desolated island by a fearsome monster none dare to confront.

And it turns out that being close to the Bluebird of Happiness for a long time makes you so happy and content that you ultimately starve to death, because feeding yourself is too much trouble.

Syaoran Li

Disney Delenda Est
kiwifarms.net
Thinking about getting back into RPG's pretty soon. Currently reading my PDF of the main rulebook for RECON.

It's the original version from the early 80's too, not the Palladium version that came out later and used fake names for the countries (even referring to the Soviet Union as "Big Red" at one point)

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Thinking about getting back into RPG's pretty soon. Currently reading my PDF of the main rulebook for RECON.

It's the original version from the early 80's too, not the Palladium version that came out later and used fake names for the countries (even referring to the Soviet Union as "Big Red" at one point)
There was an RPG in the 80's called "The 'Nam" iirc. I had it, but my PnP shit was destroyed in a flood. This game simulated a dungeon crawler, but with the US troops combat types. Very interesting, and a concept that wasn't fully explored...

I remember Recon as well. My buddy had that. The one I had was a step lower in production quality- like not even publisher quality. I bought it from a local comic book story. Xeroxed tabloid pages with 2 staples in the middle. The guy probably was making them at the local library.

Anyway, Recon was exploring the concept as well. I think GURPS could really be adapted well to this genre (Steve Jackson, is there anything you cannot do?).

edit: followup

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

Disney Delenda Est
kiwifarms.net
There was an RPG in the 80's called "The 'Nam" iirc. I had it, but my PnP shit was destroyed in a flood. This game simulated a dungeon crawler, but with the US troops combat types. Very interesting, and a concept that wasn't fully explored...
RECON is a lot like that. It was a Vietnam War RPG that came out in 1981 and was created by a guy named Joe F. Martin, who originally published it independently before Palladium bought the rights to it and did their own cleaned-up version where the countries were all fictionalized. IIRC, the United States was called "Stateside" and the Soviet Union was called "Big Red" while other countries were amalgated into fictional counterparts in the Palladium version (Boorland was a mix of Rhodesia and South Africa)

The original version was a cult classic that had its own line of miniatures, a few adventure modules and a single known supplement called Track Commander that covered the Arab-Israeli conflicts, with new rules for vehicle combat. There was a planned supplement for RECON called "Headhunters" that was about mercenaries and possibly would have had details for Central America and Rhodesia as settings, but all that exists of the Headhunters supplement was an ad in Dragon Magazine.

It was assumed that players would be American soldiers, marines, and commandos, although you could also play as an ARVN soldier or one of the Montagnard tribesmen. Track Commander also added rules for the Israeli Defense Forces and Mossad commandos, given its setting.

Palladium bought the rights to RECON in the mid-80's and published a sanitized version of the game, although it still used the original system in a slightly modified form, being one of the few Palladium games that doesn't use their main system.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
RECON is a lot like that. It was a Vietnam War RPG that came out in 1981 and was created by a guy named Joe F. Martin, who originally published it independently before Palladium bought the rights to it and did their own cleaned-up version where the countries were all fictionalized. IIRC, the United States was called "Stateside" and the Soviet Union was called "Big Red" while other countries were amalgated into fictional counterparts in the Palladium version (Boorland was a mix of Rhodesia and South Africa)

The original version was a cult classic that had its own line of miniatures, a few adventure modules and a single known supplement called Track Commander that covered the Arab-Israeli conflicts, with new rules for vehicle combat. There was a planned supplement for RECON called "Headhunters" that was about mercenaries and possibly would have had details for Central America and Rhodesia as settings, but all that exists of the Headhunters supplement was an ad in Dragon Magazine.

It was assumed that players would be American soldiers, marines, and commandos, although you could also play as an ARVN soldier or one of the Montagnard tribesmen. Track Commander also added rules for the Israeli Defense Forces and Mossad commandos, given its setting.

Palladium bought the rights to RECON in the mid-80's and published a sanitized version of the game, although it still used the original system in a slightly modified form, being one of the few Palladium games that doesn't use their main system.
ok, thx for the recap.
The Recon I remember was 'pre-sanitized'. The Nam was also PC-free. But, I don't ever remember these games even incorporating wheeled vehicles, much less tracked.

I still think this genre should be explored and expanded. Incorporating Desert Storm/Afgan/Syria would be interesting too.

• Agree

Syaoran Li

Disney Delenda Est
kiwifarms.net
ok, thx for the recap.
The Recon I remember was 'pre-sanitized'. The Nam was also PC-free. But, I don't ever remember these games even incorporating wheeled vehicles, much less tracked.

I still think this genre should be explored and expanded. Incorporating Desert Storm/Afgan/Syria would be interesting too.
The vehicle combat system is not in the core rules of RECON, it was introduced in the Track Commander supplement, which is pretty rare (I can't find a PDF and old copies on Amazon are very expensive) and that supplement was focused on the IDF (I think it may have had rules for both wheeled vehicles and tanks)

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
We're done with Beast for a while. Hell, we're probably going to do Changing Breeds before we do Beast: Players Guide or Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes. Both of those books are bad, but Night Horrors is enjoyably bad.
I don't blame you for wanting a break from this game. So what is so laughably bad about Night Horrors?

• Agree

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't blame you for wanting a break from this game. So what is so laughably bad about Night Horrors?
It's more fluff than crunch, meaning that you see even more of Matt "I should be dead in prison" McFarland's horrible horrible writing without having to look at bland and subpar systems.

As for next episode... well I'll just reveal that it involves actual funny bad mechanics. I'll bang that fucker out sometime tomorrow since it's a 2.5 hour saga.

Techpriest

Praise the Machine Spirits
kiwifarms.net
Just about everything. I don’t think several of the writers on various sections of the book were at all involved in Beast’s core rulebook. Some of the examples break pre-established rules, others mismatch with fluff from the core, and there’s a whole section that seems just tacked on because of reasons I’ll explain in a future review.

• Informative

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Just about everything. I don’t think several of the writers on various sections of the book were at all involved in Beast’s core rulebook. Some of the examples break pre-established rules, others mismatch with fluff from the core, and there’s a whole section that seems just tacked on because of reasons I’ll explain in a future review.
I look forward to it.

• Agree

Horus

Rawdog is the lawdog.
kiwifarms.net
If I might hop in for a moment and change the topic briefly. Has anyone here played the D&D 5e module "Tomb of Annihilation"? I am thinking of running it for my group, and I am looking for any firsthand insights the forum here might offer before I drop some cash on it.
Did you have any problems as a player or DM, what parts were cool, what sucked, etc...
Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry about the delay; had a couple crashes, a busy week, and the video was pretty long.

Armor how does it fucking work?

Reactions: Swiss46
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino