Terrifying music. - For the people who love to scare themselves at 3 AM listening to eerie melodies.

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is this thread for objectively terrifying music, or simply for music that terrifies us, personally? Also, is the criteria for terror just the music itself, or do music videos count too?

Opeth has written a lot of incredibly atmospheric pieces, going from sad, to scary, to just plain badass, all in the space of one composition. They're closely tied to Steven Wilson (featured in the OP), so if anyone liked that first song's "metal section" and hasn't heard Opeth before, check them out.

imo Damnation is their scariest album so far, although it's more of a... I dunno, melancholy scary? Like sitting on a dusty old divan, on the rainy afternoon you found out your mum died.

If you're looking for something more aggro, then Opeth has plenty of other options. The intro on this song builds slowly, and when it kicks in, it's got one of the grooviest horror riffs in metal.

But for pure audio horror, plain and simple, then my go-to is Merzbow.

For stuff that terrifies ME, personally, but may not be objectively scary? A lot of Oldies do that. Dunno why, possibly some powerlevel/LJ reasons that i won't subject people to. Maybe they scare others as well?

or
or

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
I would recommend anything by Natural Snow Buildings. There's something really off about their music. Two highlights (with a volume warning for the second video):

Geoff Peterson

kiwifarms.net
For stuff that terrifies ME, personally, but may not be objectively scary? A lot of Oldies do that. Dunno why, possibly some powerlevel/LJ reasons that i won't subject people to. Maybe they scare others as well?
Beaver Cleaver did music and it was pretty terrible. There's something about it that just sends a chill up my spine and it isn't just the fact he can't sing.

Ita Mori

⚜Party With Crooks⚜
kiwifarms.net
I feel the Cry of Fear OST has something for all types of horror.

Generic Slasher music:

borderline edgelord:

schizo:

melancholy:

atmosphere:

F_Break

kiwifarms.net
It really is difficult to beat industrial for sheer creep factor.

Coil - Aqua Regis

Throbbing Gristle - Hamburger Lady
Claimed to be inspired by a letter from a doctor about an extreme burn victim patient.

Sow - Manripe

Sow - The World Is My Oyster

Pig - Peoria

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Silvester Anfang, also known as the Deathcrush song intro for the black metal band Mayhem.

Its not even a Mayhem song, it was made the German electronic composer Conrad Schnitzler who didn't even knew Mayhem existed and had nothing to do with them or black metal. Apparently Euronymous , one of Mayhem members was a huge sperg of his music and he showed up unannounced in this guy's home during a trip in Germany. Instead of calling the police for some tard wrangling Conrad was nice enough to let him in for a little while and when asked about recording an intro for Mayhem he just went "uhmmm..." and instead grabbed a random unused recording he already had lying around and told him he could use that instead.

Even by pure coincidence is actually the most haunting and memorable pice on that album.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net

The first time I heard this album I was knee deep into Maiden's discography with only a cursory knowledge of Bruce's solo stuff. So when I heard that super dark riff, I was taken aback IMMEDIATELY. I kept thinking, "this is the air raid siren?" And even then, I was NOT prepared for Bruce coming dangerously close to a death growl in the last 5 seconds.

Maybe not scary per se, but Jesus I was completely surprised Bruce was capable of this. Needless to say that song prepared me for 55 minutes of pure mystical, terrifying yet epic metal joy that would become a favourite album of mine for years.

Big Fat Frog

Blowtorch and Corkscrew
kiwifarms.net
Being like, 8 and hearing this shit at the start of 343 Guilty Spark back in Halo: Combat Evolved was eerie as fuck. https://youtu.be/SMKtQzQ33PA

Also the Earthbound soundtrack has some spooky stuff, like this one:

Also a lot of the ambient samples made by Zero-G were pretty freeky.

Michael Jacks0n

You know I'm bad, I'm bad.
kiwifarms.net
Here's a really fucked up song that I recently discovered, and it's truly disturbing. It's about 50 years old now (holy shit) and is an obscure gem of the early 70's acid rock period. The band is called Bloodrock, and they're kinda like an American Black Sabbath, although they give off some Uriah Heep vibes too.

They have a song called D.O.A. which is a slow, creepy song sung from the point of view of a plane crash victim who's about to die. The scary part is that it was inspired by a true story where the lead singer witnessed a small plane takeoff and immediately crash at an airport, so he was compelled to write the song from the perspective of the victim and his final minutes:

This link has the comments disabled since it's an auto-generated channel, but if you look up reuploads on other channels, the comments are mostly Boomers talking about how they had this song on vinyl record when they were kids and it terrified them and their parents.

Treyvon Azagthot

Dinoman x Liquified Nun = True Love
kiwifarms.net
Silvester Anfang, also known as the Deathcrush song intro for the black metal band Mayhem.

Its not even a Mayhem song, it was made the German electronic composer Conrad Schnitzler who didn't even knew Mayhem existed and had nothing to do with them or black metal. Apparently Euronymous , one of Mayhem members was a huge sperg of his music and h
e showed up unannounced in this guy's home during a trip in Germany. Instead of calling the police for some tard wrangling Conrad was nice enough to let him in for a little while and when asked about recording an intro for Mayhem he just went "uhmmm..." and instead grabbed a random unused recording he already had lying around and told him he could use that instead.

Even by pure coincidence is actually the most haunting and memorable pice on that album.
I had an opposite reaction to that song, I thought it was funny because of the drums changing pitches. Possibly the most danceable Mayhem song ever.

Sadness Will Prevail by Today is The Day really fucking fits the album cover here. Sounds like someone screaming at a street drainage, begging God about what went wrong and convulsing for help. It also fits those horrifying vomit scenes from the movies 964 Pinnochio and Possesion.