The Beatles Thread - Includes Post-Beatles Works

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
I like them. I'm not hugely into them, but I have a handful of songs I really enjoy. Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields Forever, Yesterday, Blackbird, ect...

George was my favorite.

Tron: Deadly Dicks

It's hard to fuck a moth and Godzilla ain't picky.
kiwifarms.net
"The song itself is another political polemic from the Some Time debacle, with little to recommend it except an interesting double-tracked guitar solo, and it’s ability to get stuck in your head when you really, really don’t want it to (and if you start absent-mindedly singing it to yourself around your workplace, there will probably be consequences.)"

Honestly, aside from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, I've always felt that John Lennon's solo output was pretty much just garbage, even Double Fantasy aside from maybe "Woman" and the christmas song from it.

From all four beatles (yeah, that includes ringo who's still a badass drummer and who at least is fun to listen to) he's the least listenable of them.

kiwifarms.net
I used to like John until I found out he beat up both wives. Now I like Paul instead for giving us Helter Skelter and Got To Get You Into My Life.
Paul was the genius with an overbearing ego who helped break up the group out of good intentions after the death of their manager;

George was the quiet one who forever resented being the junior beatle who at best got three songs in an album, who turned to religion to a comical fault;

Ringo was the heart of the group, the chipper guy who helped keep the group together to the end but who also happened to fall into alcoholism so hard he almost beat his (also alcoholic) wife to death during a blackout before they both went straight (they're still happily married and he hasn't touched a drop since then);

But John was the most complicated of them. He was the guy who eternally felt he had to prove his worth to the world, he also was paranoid to a fault and his childhood was pretty fucked by an abandoned father AND mother, said mother coming back into his life only to die shortly after from a drunkard driving into her, her death which forever fucked him up (he kept calling Yoko "Mother" and I'm gonna go and assume that didn't stop there); he was the angry one who lashed out at everything and while it IS indisputably true he beat up Cynthia and Yoko, he also wisened up by the mid-60s and by the 70s he'd become a better person to Yoko, though I'll never forgive how he consciously chose to treat his first son, even referring him to as a "bastard" in an interview. That's some shitty parenting that makes his own father's abandonment look like nothing.

He's still the shittiest solo beatle though.

Dolphin Lundgren

One suave fucker.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My mom told me that when she was a little kid she had a crush on Paul McCartney and on her birthday my grandfather called her on the phone and pretended to be Paul wishing her a happy birthday.

I was never a major fan of them but I always liked that story.

(I like Rubber Soul though.)

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I used to like John until I found out he beat up both wives.
He made it pretty clear in his songs that he did that...

Ringo was the heart of the group, the chipper guy who helped keep the group together to the end but who also happened to fall into alcoholism so hard he almost beat his (also alcoholic) wife to death during a blackout before they both went straight (they're still happily married and he hasn't touched a drop since then);
Im pretty sure his brain was gone at that point, his paintings are very very bad.

drtoboggan

Sonic Jew
kiwifarms.net
Paul was the genius with an overbearing ego who helped break up the group out of good intentions after the death of their manager;

George was the quiet one who forever resented being the junior beatle who at best got three songs in an album, who turned to religion to a comical fault;

But John was the most complicated of them. He was the guy who eternally felt he had to prove his worth to the world, he also was paranoid to a fault and his childhood was pretty fucked by an abandoned father AND mother, said mother coming back into his life only to die shortly after from a drunkard driving into her, her death which forever fucked him up (he kept calling Yoko "Mother" and I'm gonna go and assume that didn't stop there); he was the angry one who lashed out at everything and while it IS indisputably true he beat up Cynthia and Yoko, he also wisened up by the mid-60s and by the 70s he'd become a better person to Yoko, though I'll never forgive how he consciously chose to treat his first son, even referring him to as a "bastard" in an interview. That's some shitty parenting that makes his own father's abandonment look like nothing.

He's still the shittiest solo beatle though.
Well said. I still want to hear the single unreleased Beatles song Carnival of Light. May get to once Paul dies. And speaking of Paul, I've heard apocryphal tales of the final Buddy Holly demos being very proto-punk, and Paul should release them since he basically owns the Buddy Holly catalogue.

I don't disagree about Paul's ego, but he was a damn nice guy compared to Lennon. So much so that Julian Lennon stated he felt closer to Paul than his dad. I'm going to do a hard agree on what you said about how John treated Julian. No excuse for that shit.

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
McCartney has gone on record saying he wants to release "Carnival of Light"; it is the estates of John and George that have nixed that. Part of Macca's willingness to release it stems from his desire to be known as the true avant-garde member of the group.

I dunno; I used to be a Beatles freak as a teenager, but as I get older, they just sound more juvenile to me. Old Rolling Stones songs still suit the middle-aged me, but it's hard to get excited over a thousandth hearing of "She Loves You" I have nothing against the Fabbies, but their hardcore fans are absolutely insufferable tards that kind of ruin the whole band for me.

P

PT 940

kiwifarms.net
I like to think about how Paul and Linda went to John and Yoko's and sang Christmas carols to them, that's so freaking adorable. And I like how Stella McCartney said her parents liked to cut each other's hair.

As far as solo albums go, Flaming Pie is one of my favorite albums of all time and really shaped the person I became. It sounds timeless, unlike anything he made before or after and doesn't sound like it's from any particular time period (1998, I think.)

The stuff about John's womanizing is believable (Getting Better is one of the songs where it's described but he said "man I was mean but I'm changing my scene and I'm doing the best that I can.") I guess it's no different than any he-said-she-said stuff where none of us were there personally so we don't know how bad it was or what really happened. I hadn't heard about Ringo doing that but I'm glad he got sober and they stayed together. If things like that can be a wakeup call at least something good came from it.

George is pretty underrated generally, I think he did a lot of great solo stuff.

The Beatles are a great example of what can happen with four genuinely talented people can come together (no song pun intended) at just the right time and really do something amazing. Their music played huge part in my adolescence and I'll go into detail about it sometime.

kiwifarms.net
I don't disagree about Paul's ego, but he was a damn nice guy compared to Lennon. So much so that Julian Lennon stated he felt closer to Paul than his dad. I'm going to do a hard agree on what you said about how John treated Julian. No excuse for that shit.
That's why I said it was out of good intentions. After the death of Brian Epstein someone had to take the lead role and it was always going to be an ungrateful job no matter who took it. In fact, Magical Mystery Tour was an attempt by Paul to distract the others from Epstein's death because it'd hit them all pretty hard.

Im pretty sure his brain was gone at that point, his paintings are very very bad.

Well, being a great drummer =/= having drawing skills. He still does music though (paul does too), and even drums from time to time!

P

PT 940

kiwifarms.net
I'm sure most everyone has heard about this but there was a guy who claimed he got a Beatles album from an alternate universe where the band never broke up. There are multiple videos about it but listening to the album itself it just funny. Right away you can tell what the guy did.

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to really like them in middle/early high school, but now I'm at a point where I generally don't mind if they come on, but they're not my first choice if I'm listening to stuff by myself. Plus I find that most Beatles fans I run into are either annoying boomers or pretentious/wrong generation teenagers, which doesn't help much.

My favorite one is George and my favorite album is Revolver.

And I can't believe no one brought up their reunion in the 90s.

Trombonista

そう絶対☆もう絶対☆100%負けらんないっ
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember being so giddy about Macca's collaboration with Rihanna and Kanye. I bet he had a lot of fun with it:

kiwifarms.net
McCartney has gone on record saying he wants to release "Carnival of Light"; it is the estates of John and George that have nixed that. Part of Macca's willingness to release it stems from his desire to be known as the true avant-garde member of the group.

I dunno; I used to be a Beatles freak as a teenager, but as I get older, they just sound more juvenile to me. Old Rolling Stones songs still suit the middle-aged me, but it's hard to get excited over a thousandth hearing of "She Loves You" I have nothing against the Fabbies, but their hardcore fans are absolutely insufferable tards that kind of ruin the whole band for me.
From what I've gleaned over the years, Carnival of Light is said to be a musique concrete kinda thing that's even more chaotic and senseless than Revolution 9, so yeah I'd give that a listen if it came out. ONE listen.

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
Can't stand The Beatles and I think they are way overrated when it comes to their psychedelic style of music, but "Let It Be" and "Twist and Shout" are two songs that are stuck in my head forever.

The versions of Twist and Shout done by The Isley Brothers and The Who are much better than what the Beatles shat out. In fact The Who has two good versions with Roger Daltrey on lead vocals (The Who Live at Isle of Wight) and the other with John Entwistle on lead vocals(Which appeared on 30 Years Maximum R&B)

kiwifarms.net
The versions of Twist and Shout done by The Isley Brothers and The Who are much better than what the Beatles shat out. In fact The Who has two good versions with Roger Daltrey on lead vocals (The Who Live at Isle of Wight) and the other with John Entwistle on lead vocals(Which appeared on 30 Years Maximum R&B)
I love the beatles' twist and shout and I will forever love that they made john lennon torture himself screaming out with his throat already sore from an entire day of recording their first album (They recorded the whole album in one day, minus mixing and minor additions)