• This ruined Rock music

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • IT'S BEEN AWHILE...

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
If you've actively listened to and sought out Rock music long enough, chances are you've encountered the nebulous term of derision called "Butt Rock". The term originates from braindead radio station DJs plugging their programs with the catchphrase, "Nothing BUT Rock!" Overtime, this referred to the dreadful playlists of popular Hard Rock music at the time, thus the term Butt Rock was born.

So what is Butt Rock exactly? The term continues to be contested as tastes differ from person to person, but genres almost universally included are commercially-oriented Hard Rock and Hard Alternative, especially Post-Grunge and Nü-Metal. No one knows for sure who to blame (I personally nominate Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots as well as wannabes like Silverchair, Candlebox or Bush), but the quintessential Butt Rock bands are Nickelback, Creed and 3 Doors Down along with has-been bands like Limp Bizkit and Staind.

There are some obvious trappings a listener could pick apart from these bands: the overwrought emotionalism, ostentatious yet inauthentic machismo, strained attempts at being philosophical / poetic / introspective, dreadful yarling. Perhaps the heaviest critique levied at Butt Rock concerns its lack of novelty. Butt Rock makes no such pretenses of originality and proudly plays formulaic Rock music. That said, you don't need to proverbially reinvent the wheel to make compelling music.

So tell me, what do you think of Butt Rock? How would you define Butt Rock? Did it ruin Rock music? Are there any bands you like in spite of their association with the term?

For me, it's The Superjesus:

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Daughtery? lips of an angel? something like that ya. that one band. idk the name since its not 2005 anymore and its been mercifully wiped from memory

Ita Mori

Heh
kiwifarms.net
Are there any bands you like in spite of their association with the term?
I fucking love Limp Bizkit as far as workout music goes. Sam Rivers and Wes Borland are great musicians once you either strip out or get over Durst's corny lyrics. In an alternate universe, LB pulled a Creed (kicked Scott Stapp, replaced him, and formed Alter Bridge) and found redemption.

I used to love Korn as teenager, but looking back they were insufferably whiney and have the musical range of dried shampoo. I don't know who's buying their albums since 2003 or why they keep making them; old rich white guys aren't exactly the posterchildren for teen angst.

• Feels
Reactions: Pissmaster and BSC

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fucking love Limp Bizkit as far as workout music goes. Sam Rivers and Wes Borland are great musicians once you either strip out or get over Durst's corny lyrics. In an alternate universe, LB pulled a Creed (kicked Scott Stapp, replaced him, and formed Alter Bridge) and found redemption.

I used to love Korn as teenager, but looking back they were insufferably whiney and have the musical range of dried shampoo. I don't know who's buying their albums since 2003 or why they keep making them; old rich white guys aren't exactly the posterchildren for teen angst.
Nobody played by MTV ever should have been the poster children of teen angst lol

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
kiwifarms.net
Daughtery? lips of an angel? something like that ya. that one band. idk the name since its not 2005 anymore and its been mercifully wiped from memory
I can't believe I actually remember this, but the band you're thinking of is Hinder:
Holy shit somehow they've shat out 7 records? The mind boggles.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
I think the biggest criticism of bands like Nickleback is there's no discernable melody to their riffs.

The thing about hits from beloved classic rock acts like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Aerosmith, and even more modern acts like The Black Keys or Jack White's solo project is that you can hum the instrumental parts. You remember the guitar riff from Black Dog or the bassline from Another One Bites the Dust.

Buttrock songs on the other hand often have very simple instrumentals that only exist to fill out the waveform. It's almost like stock music with a vocal track.

Last edited:

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

CHOO CHOO, MOTHERFUCKERS.
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if Volbeat qualifies.
If you don't at least appreciate Seal the Deal as a crazy-good psych-up song there's something wrong with you.

Tags
None