• ”loaded with RAPE JOKES”
  1. The site will be going down for maintenance on February 24th for the XenForo 2 upgrade. Read more. (Update Feb-13)

The Escapists other resident exceptional individual Noah Berlatsky cancels DunePaul Atriedes is too white for him.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Keep Yourself Safe, Feb 10, 2019.

1. https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/02/08/dunes-paul-atreides-is-the-ultimate-mighty-whitey/

Youtuber IdeasOfIceAndFire, who has made numerous videos about Dune lore, is incensed and calls Noah out for being a moron and a disingenuous piece of shit:

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Keep Yourself Safe

Keep Yourself Safe Well my mind is goin' through them changes

kiwifarms.is
  2. That dude's just angry because Dune is too thick and complex for him.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  3. Anyone who thinks the Mahdi is the most overpowered whitey in fiction when Super Man is out there with several mainstream movies released in the past decade needs to be chemically castrated.

• Agree Agree x 10
    Wake me up

Wake me up CωC Club founder

kiwifarms.is
  4. This article is written for people who have never read Dune, have no intention of reading Dune, and want a reason to feel smug about it.

• Agree Agree x 26
    A Useless Fish

A Useless Fish A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.

kiwifarms.is
  5. Anyone that's read Herbert's later books knows that everything from the title forward is wrong.

Furthermore, that far forward in the future it's unlikely ethnicities would resemble modern day ones at all. The Atreides have a Greek name. They don't have to be Greek. Westwood cast Michael Dorn as the Duke.

[​IMG]

I get just as rustled by people insisting the Fremen have to be played by POC. As I understand it there's no particular ethnicity involved in being Fremen; it's more of a cultural identity bound together for survival. Chani and Ghanima have red hair in the text. Inspired by bedouin =/= "the whole culture is ackshyually Arab".

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow Rapping genie with attitude

kiwifarms.is
  6. Yeah sure (((superman))) is white that's why k̶r̶y̶p̶r̶o̶k̶i̶k̶i̶a̶n̶s̶ (((Kryptonians))) speak Hebrew.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I wonder if these writers realize that shoehorning everything into a race issue is the literal definition of racism. Probably not by a long shot.

• Agree Agree x 14
    Wake me up

kiwifarms.is
  8. I understand what you mean but as is said in the video, Dune is written as an analogy of the real world (to a large extent) and as such the Fremen are supposed to symbolize Arabs and the Atreides would be "colonial Europeans". The guy in the video says he's made several videos on this topic, apparently.

EDIT not that the author is at all interested by race, this is done to frame the discussion of power and economy, with "melange" being the analogy to oil.

• Informative Informative x 5
    #8 Wake me up, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Wake me up

kiwifarms.is
  9. I'm not bothered by this. White people are necessary to help other races get their shit together.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Feels Feels x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    drtoboggan

drtoboggan Please, call me Mantis.

kiwifarms.is
  10. Usually when the woke crowd REEEEs at Dune it's to call it homophobic. Because the guy that likes little boys according to them shouldn't be portrayed as a villain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    2odastream

2odastream r/Drama queen

kiwifarms.is
  11. Rey is powerful because she's white, Harry Potter is powerful because he's white, He-Man is powerful because he's white, Falkor the Luckdragon is powerful because he's white.

This guy's last name is BERLATSKY, I wonder what he looks like!

[​IMG]

No way!

• Winner Winner x 8
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 2
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    #11 SelmaHendersen, Feb 10, 2019
    kiwifarms.is
  12. What is this, TV Tropes ragebait mad libs? He even misspelled Fremen.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  13. The Fremen symbolize Arabs and lead a jihad of rape and conquest across the galaxy in the name of their spiritual leader.

The woke clickbait writes itself.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Feels Feels x 1
    #13 The Shadow, Feb 10, 2019
    The Shadow

kiwifarms.is
  14. Do you have to be exceptional to get a job at the Escapist now?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    REGENDarySumanai

REGENDarySumanai Man of excellent taste

kiwifarms.is
  15. They changed the definition of racism so as to make it racist to not turn everything into a racial issue. Colorblindness is white privilege.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  16. I think my favorite part of the article was near the beginning when it was listing other examples of whitey being evil, namely C3po "appropriating" Ewok culture. That's something I think is even too outlandish to be in an Onion article. It doesn't make sense for a multitude of reasons. I haven't seen Return of the Jedi in awhile, but wasn't their whole thing they thought he was God because he was gold plated?

• Agree Agree x 6
    kiwifarms.is
  17. Dank Herbert, triggering from beyond the grave.

• Feels Feels x 1
    #17 The Shadow, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    The Shadow

kiwifarms.is
  18. Ok guys, first and foremost:

This is 'The Escapist' we're talking about here. A publication so terrible it hired Movie Bob twice. A publication that only exists because of Zero Punctuation. Of course anything written in it is going to be shit.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  19. Can we PLEASE not have a Dune movie come out in this fucking political climate?

Yes, Dune is one of those series that can lend itself to some creative casting.
    However, it turns really rams home the “deconstructing your heroes” thing in the later books.
    The Fremen once they get power become murdering rapists, Alia and Paul take turns being terrible and cynical tyrants and Jessica literally runs away to Caladan to get away from her responsibilities.

Frank Herbert took himself seriously enough as a writer but he had no such things as “authors darlings” or self inserts in his books to protect.

This will generate such salt, if ever adapted faithfully, from both sides of the political spectrum...

• Informative Informative x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  20. I thought of "Do they really want to release Dune now?" in a different context- it really tears down the idea of heroes, in an age when pop culture overwhelmingly embraces black and white depictions of good and evil, something that ultimately points out the flaws in this line of thought seems a rather hopeless uphill battle.

• Feels Feels x 4
    The Shadow

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.