The Kpop thread. - LEGGO

FadeIntoBolivian

kiwifarms.net
Only thing gayer than Kpop superfans is ultra Kpop haters. Imagine being moved to anger and disgust over what amounts to glossy pop music.

That said, superfan checking in here. Got into the fandom via Red Velvet a few years ago. Went to Korea, an M Countdown taping, saw Shinee when they came to North America and again in Japan, etc.

The new Twice song is fantastic. Perfect way to nudge their concept a little more mature to match their age while still keeping their trademark fun factor. Black Eyed Pilseung have really been on a crazy run re: production credits lately, seems like everything they touch goes to #1 or top 10 at minimum.

Conversely, I like Blackpink good enough but man, if YG wants to cover his ass in the ongoing Seungri shitstorm, was the best they could do really a song that sounded like it was salvaged from deep in Teddy's hard drive in a folder called "\2NE1\DEMO2015"? I get what they're doing by making a splashy hard hitting trap beat song that gets people hype and putting a shit ton of english in it to advance what seems to be their attempt to make the group a for-real thing in the USA... but idk, this isn't my idea of K-Pop reaching a greater potential.

Favorite rookie song lately might be this. Feels like a more laid-back Orange Caramel type of sound/concept.

ATaxingWoman

Professional Tax Investigator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://lolcow.farm/m/res/27045.html#2787

Kataomoi00

Your Token Optimist
kiwifarms.net
Oh a kpop thread! Was thinking of making one a while back, but wasn’t sure if enough members liked kpop. :oops:
I’ve been listening to Park Bom’s new single and I honestly like it better than Spring. I just like the dreamy sound of it I guess.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net

I heard this lovely mashup back in 2015ish in one of Jim's older streams (I think it was the one he did on Twitch support trolling). Good times.

Bringing up my love for the K/DA music video might be redundant on my part at this point, though I do more than appreciate this mashup.

Kataomoi00

Your Token Optimist
kiwifarms.net
Anda’s work with Primary is pretty underrated in my opinion. Too bad she won’t get attention since she’s under YG Entertainment...

YooA

kiwifarms.net
Sulli, South Korean K-Pop Star and Actress, Is Found Dead

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/arts/music/sulli-dead.html

Sulli, 25, was known for being outspoken. She was found in her home on Monday, the authorities said, with no signs of foul play.

14xp-sulli-02-jumbo.jpg

Sulli, a former member of the South Korean girl group f(x), left the band in 2015 to pursue a solo career.

The actress, singer and former K-pop band member Sulli, 25, was found dead in her home on Monday, the police said. Sulli’s manager found her while checking her home in Seongnam after she failed to answer phone calls, said Kim Seong-tae, an official from the Seongnam Sujeong Police Department, accordingto The Associated Press. “The investigation is ongoing and we won’t make presumptions about the cause of death,” he said, adding that there was no sign of foul play. Officials did not find a suicide note, he said, and security camera footage at the home did not show signs of intrusion.

Sulli was known for being relatively candid in an industry that often rewarded glossy conformity, said Jeff Benjamin, the K-pop columnist at Billboard. “She really was an outspoken star in an industry that probably would have rather had her stay quiet,” he said. On Monday, some fans of the artist suggested that criticalcomments online had affected her mental health.

Sulli, whose legal name was Choi Jin-ri, did some acting as a child before she was recruited to join the girl group f(x) under SM Entertainment, one of South Korea’s major K-pop agencies. The band, which debuted in 2009, was quirkier than most other girl bands, which might have been a good fit for Sulli, Mr. Benjamin said.

She formally left the group in 2015 to focus on other things, including acting. She appeared in several films, and this year she became a host of a Korean television show whose title has been translated as “The Night of Hate Comments.” It featured celebrity guests poking fun at their experiences with online criticism and cyberbullying.

Sulli returned to music to release a solo album, “Goblin,” in June. The title song is about a person with dissociative disorder, which has also been called multiple personality disorder.

K-pop groups have grown in popularity over the past decade, transcending borders (despite language barriers) to spread in Europe, the Middle East and the Americas, helped in large part by social media platforms like Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.

In 2017, Sulli attended a memorial for another K-pop star, Kim Jong-hyun, 27, who killed himself after leaving a note that said he was overcome by depression.

- End of Article -
Sorry for the bad news, but don't know where else to post this where respects can be paid. Rest in Peace. Let's all hope our girls (whoever they may be) are living happy healthy lives.

heathercho

DON'T. RAPE. ANYBODY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I may really hate Kpop now, but when I didn't, I liked f(x)'s stuff. R.I.P. Sulli.

Aaaaaaaaand before her body is even cold in the ground, the conspiracy theories started crawling out of the woodwork.

EDIT: Could this blind item be related? https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2019/10/blind-item-3_14.html?m=1

Boa. She broke up with that sack of shit rapist Joo Won. The same one who got UEE all messed up (tho she was messy to begin with).

Sulli dying, whilst sad because she was young, was inevitable. Girl was crazy and fucked up on drugs so often. Unfortunately for all the high scores SK gets on its medicare system, they neglect mental health.

Death of K-pop star Sulli prompts outpouring of grief and questions over cyber-bullying
https://edition.cnn.com/profiles/julia-hollingsworth
By Julia Hollingsworth and Yoonjung Seo, CNN

Updated 0219 GMT (1019 HKT) October 16, 2019

Seoul (CNN)

She was one of only a few celebrities to be publicly pro-choice when South Korea legalized abortion this year, was open about her own mental health struggles and insisted women shouldn't have to wear bras if they found them uncomfortable.

Those actions won 25-year-old K-pop singer Sulli praise -- but also made her the subject of harsh online criticism.
Now, a day after her apparent suicide, her death has prompted an outpouring of grief and calls to curb the cyber-bullying stars can be subject to when they stray outside the K-pop industry's traditional norms.

The body of the former member of girl group f(x) was discovered by her manager in her house in Sujeong-gu, Seongnam, south of the capital Seoul, on Monday afternoon local time, police told CNN. In a statement Tuesday, Sulli's agency SM Entertainment said the star's family was planning a private funeral, adding that relatives were "grief-stricken by this unexpected sad news."
According to the Seongnam Sujeong Police, a postmortem could be conducted as early as Wednesday. News of her death had an instant impact across the industry, with other SM Entertainment groups Super Junior and SuperM, as well as former f(x) bandmate Amber Liu, all announcing they would cancel upcoming events.

Sulli, 25-year-old K-pop star, found dead at home in Seongnam, South Korea
From being candid about her own relationships -- unusual in the world of K-pop, where stars are encouraged to keep quiet about romance -- to being openly pro-choice and an advocate of the "free the nipple" movement, Sulli was known for subverting expectations of female K-pop stars.
But her opinions often made her a target of online trolls, particularly by anti-feminists, said CedarBough Saeji, an expert in Korean culture and society at Indiana University.
"She was brave," Saeji said on Tuesday. "The fact that Sulli repeatedly did things that misogynists didn't like, and refused to apologize, is how she really stood out."
Saeji said that in South Korea, K-pop stars were expected to apologize publicly when they failed to meet the high -- and sometimes unrealistic -- standards expected by the industry. But Sulli refused to change, even appearing on a TV show that featured K-pop stars discussing the challenges of negative online comments.
"That society would criticize her so heavily just for showing individuality in a way that did not conform exactly to Korean social norms, that's just so incredibly sad," Saeji said.

"I'm so sorry that she didn't have people supporting her in the same way that she was supporting -- in her own quirky way -- gender equality in Korea. She was also being a voice, and being a proponent, for larger issues in Korean society."
As of Tuesday, three petitions had been lodged on the Blue House petition site, all demanding tighter rules for cyber-bullying.
South Korea's entertainment industry has become one of the country's biggest exports in the past decade. But K-pop stars -- who often train for years before they debut -- are subject to intense pressure, which has been linked to a mental health crisis in the industry.
K-pop megastar Jonghyun, whose real name was Kim Jong-hyun, took his own life in Seoul in December 2017. And singer and actress Goo Hara, formerly part of girl band Kara, apologized to fans after being found unconscious at home in May 2019.
The singer had posted the word "Goodbye" to her Instagram account, prompting a flood of comments from concerned fans.
How to get help: In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. The International Association for Suicide Prevention and Befrienders Worldwide also provide contact information for crisis centers around the world.
Yoonjung Seo and Shin Jae-eun reported from Seoul, South Korea, and Julia Hollingsworth wrote from Hong Kong.

This attitude is a huge part of it. With western eyes on the K-pop world, you have people like Canadian White koreaboo Cedarbough Saeji, ignoring that Sulli's "speaking out" was a symptom of her untreated mental issues and not because she was subverting "cultural norms". These types ignore that mental illness is a real thing and just think being whoever you feel like is the best way to go.
That's why you have a troon attempted suicide rate of 41%. They never want to address the underlying condition.

Korea's history with mental illness is terrible, it's not going to improve anytime soon in a stupid climate like that.