• "we have an Italian OP telling us about an all Asian film crew interviewing an autistic tranny. Say what you want about this part of the internet but its damn diverse."

The Mining Pit

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by Null, Sep 25, 2017.

Forum Guidelines
  • Have common courtesy. Do not directly attack other users. We're all on the same team.
  • Handle problems like an adult. Personal matters involving others (including staff) should be handled privately. Post in the Talk to Staff board, use conversations, or email us at [email protected]
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. Don't post for attention. Further the conversation in some way.
  • Don't gimmick post. Accounts taking on a gimmick personality are annoying. Please stop.
  • Don't sockpuppet. If you create a second account to avoid problems you will be banned and ridiculed. See: handling problems like an adult.
  • Do not plea for sympathy. Don't make posts about how you are leaving the forums. Just leave.
  1. I just want to note on Chrome on a potato, my system slows to a crawl even with the miner on 0%.

On the same potato on Vivaldi, it continues to work fine even if I set it at the default 30%. I think Chrome spawning a separate process for each tab really fucks up its ability to cope with the miner interface on each tab. Either it's actually still mining on Chrome at 0%, or just the interface itself fucks up Chrome (especially on potatos with limited CPU and RAM).

I'm not sure if you could get more out of it by enabling GPU mining, but probably not easily, since you'd have to use separate code for all the kinds of GPUs out there. Also gamers who leave their browsers up while playing would probably suffer.

AnOminous

AnOminous LOOK UPON ME! I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.is
  2. webassembly is the first step in making web decent, aka fast. Once it's mature maybe I will look into making web applications. For now though, web uses way too much javascript for my liking. It's ugly and slow, the faster it's out the better.
    What we need is a ressource monitor for browsers telling you which tab/script is using cpu/memory/sound/bandwidth and kill/restrict the things that use too much. Google saw it, browsers become more and more entire operating systems. Imagine if windows started restricting which program could run based on cpu usage instead of offering the task manager.
    Can we please go towards "tools that work" instead of assuming everyone is an idiot this time?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    DNJACK

DNJACK Part of the EDF communauty
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  3. No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.is
  4. And yet Chrome doesn't have the functionality of other similar operating systems, or at least pseudo-OSes. When we first started this, I had to spend a couple hours just to figure out crude, convoluted ways of figuring out exactly what was sucking up CPU. Even with the (somewhat neat) Javascript console in Chrome, it's pretty opaque.

You can't really directly tell how many resources a script is using (at least not any easy way I could figure out although I'm dumb at this shit). The closest I could get was stopping the script, using something like top to track usage, then starting it and seeing what lit up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  5. Didn't think it was worth mentioning at the time but Kaspersky freaks out when you visit this site, I had to whitelist it to get it to stop spazzing. It did it when we were with Coinhive and I had to whitelist again when the responsible domain changed.

Yes yes, cue the FSB jokes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    Slick Bridges

Slick Bridges Your mother and I are worried sick.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  6. I just got a warning in Safari Version 11.0 (11604.1.38.1.7) OS El Capitan that the website was using too much energy so it was reloaded. System wasn't otherwise running slowly, activity set to 10% because old macbook.

Ariel

Ariel Sorbet
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  7. The problem is that you are using Safari.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    A Hot Pizza

A Hot Pizza GODLIKE!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  8. Untitled.png
    shift-escape in chrome. It's built-in. It makes sense, really.

• Informative Informative x 5
    DNJACK

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  9. I see it also works in Vivaldi.

FataBataRang

FataBataRang Retieval Mankind's Batman

kiwifarms.is
  10. Well, damn, I'm a dumbass. Apparently under OS X you need to go into the More Tools menu.

AnOminous

kiwifarms.is
  11. Noticed that I had a bit of a bump in CPU usage for a few minutes, didn't know what caused it, but decided to see if the site had it's miner back up and sure enough it does. Bit of an increase from before in terms of overall CPU usage, but nothing too major for me. Some people will notice it if they're used to running a lot of tabs on Chrome.

Currently CPU usage is around 54% on average. I tend not to see any more than 20% here.

Edit
    Seems that my old AMD here wanted to turbo boost for a bit while here which had caused some problems. Still seeing 20%-45% CPU usage, but these random spikes are common with this thing. Problem on my side seems to be fixed after I did some work on my side and put the miner to 10%. This laptop no longer wants to overheat.

#531 Anonymus Fluhre, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Anonymus Fluhre

Anonymus Fluhre Don't weep for the stupid, youll be crying all day

kiwifarms.is
  12. So out of curiosity. How much am I making money wise if I have my tab open for about 8 hours a day and have the activity up to %100?

DildoGaggins

DildoGaggins Autismo Magnifico

kiwifarms.is
  13. Independently it's not much, but that hardly matters. You can use this calculator to figure it out.
    http://whattomine.com/coins/101-xmr...0.0&fee=0.0&cost=0&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

At 50hps 24/7 for a month it generates about $2.50 right now for the site. Most contributors are doing less than half of that. What matters is that a thousand people are doing it.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Null

Null WON'T YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE

kiwifarms.is
  14. Running 12 threads at 30% seems like a bad configuration to me. You'd probably get more hashes and less performance hit if threads were reduced but more active. The developers responded to "how many threads" over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4b9w1l/mining_how_many_threads/

kiwifarms.is
  15. The thread switching performance impact should still be minimal.

DNJACK

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  16. I left it open for 4-5 days on a locked tab to try and get the high score.
    I think it reached as high as 55-60 million hashes but the browser window crashed ):

• Feels Feels x 3
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    neger psykolog

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  17. Just block Chrome from using the website then no one will have issues

and you are doing them a favour

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    Luigi

Luigi In the nights, dream delight

kiwifarms.is
  18. Capture11123.PNG

finally a worthwhile use for my cpu

• Like Like x 5
    • Feels Feels x 2
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  19. The bitcoin miner seems to be infected with a malicious line of code insulting a prominent and successful British politician.

• Like x 2
    • Feels x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • DRINK x 1
    Dynastia

Dynastia bad person
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  20. Started getting warnings about this site from my anti-virus. Someone may have filed a complaint about the site mining. It just comes up as "OtherMalware"

• Feels Feels x 1
    Anonymus Fluhre

Anonymus Fluhre Don't weep for the stupid, youll be crying all day

kiwifarms.is