The Urbit Thread - Why you shuold use Urbit, and so should your mom

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
Yes, because they only accept Ethereum and don't really care who you are. They are as anonymous as your wallet.

You can just as well run services on Urbit and make them invite only. No one can discover them that way. There might be entire communities and economies on urbit I know nothing about because it's private and isn't exposed in any way.
again, if i want a sekrit club why not just host a bbs on my own machine, spool up an aws or azure instance, or otherwise do something much more immediately controllable and owned By Me™ instead of using Discord Wannabe #42069

TheSkoomer

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah
kiwifarms.net
Wow, it's just like the dark web, but with a financial disincentive for people to use it. What could possibly go wrong?
Also: blockchain, like anime, was a mistake.

Just host shit on Tor/I2P, like a normal person.

Coolio55

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> KIRBY DANCE
kiwifarms.net
Wow, it's just like the dark web, but with a financial disincentive for people to use it. What could possibly go wrong?

Don't forget all the galaxies he premined for his friends

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
again, if i want a sekrit club why not just host a bbs on my own machine, spool up an aws or azure instance, or otherwise do something much more immediately controllable and owned By Me™ instead of using Discord Wannabe #42069
Running one kind of service is okay-ish. You have to remember that for us spending an hour every couple of weeks doing maintenance is easy, probably, because we're technical people. My aunt isn't going to maintain shit. Add to that a suite of services to run and maintain. I don't want to worry about updating binaries, versions, downtime, consistency, it's a mess. Urbit is a single statically linked binary which does all of that. You barely need any technical know-how to ru

If you don't want to pay for something better, don't complain when all you're getting is crap. Tying it to the eth network wasn't so bad when it wasn't so damn expensive. Would you have said the same thing if it cost only 10$?
Don't forget all the galaxies he premined for his friends
Good luck finding out who owns the galaxies today. You can just look at the addresses. tbh I don't care.
This sounds like such a shill that now I wanna use the service less. And I've only now just heard about it.

Shit sounds too good to be true, fam.
There's a lot of shit to complain about. It can be slow, there are very weird RAM limitations, if you communicate with not-up-to-date instances as a group host it can freeze your ship, hoon looks like cthulhu dragged his balls across a page.
The reasons it sounds too good to be true is because you got used to everything being shit.

TheSkoomer

kiwifarms.net
If you don't want to pay for something better, don't complain when all you're getting is crap.
You're making some pretty big assumptions there...

Neither Tor nor I2P are "shit."
And I2P has the added benefit of a barrier to entry; that it takes some configuration to get it working, which keeps the retards out. Tor makes it too easy.

Technical abilities are a better barrier to entry than money. Any retard niggermonkey can scrape together ten dollars to join a secret autist club with software that is made to be easy for niggers to understand.

• Autistic
Reactions: 419

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
if It’s free and open source, why the fuck should I pay for it?
It keeps out the scammers and bots. You're not paying for the land, you're paying for the fence.
You're making some pretty big assumptions there...

Neither Tor nor I2P are "shit."
And I2P has the added benefit of a barrier to entry; that it takes some configuration to get it working, which keeps the retards out. Tor makes it too easy.

Technical abilities are a better barrier to entry than money. Any retard niggermonkey can scrape together ten dollars to join a secret autist club with software that is made to be easy for niggers to understand.
That rather depends on who you want to keep out. I don't want to keep out some interesting journalist who is on there because MSM want to censor them; or some researcher who is on there because their views contradict Fauci's. It's pretty elitist (in the bad way) to assume software knowledge is the inherent dividing line between the people I want to associate with and those I don't. Also, people who write bots have the knowledge to configure this sort of stuff so it's no barrier to them creating a few million bots any time they want. But if the cost is $10 to make an account that's nothing to any adult but certainly changes the prospect of running up another few million bots as the old ones are detected and banned / ignored.

In short, you haven't thought it through.

TheSkoomer

kiwifarms.net
It keeps out the scammers and bots. You're not paying for the land, you're paying for the fence.

That rather depends on who you want to keep out. I don't want to keep out some interesting journalist who is on there because MSM want to censor them; or some researcher who is on there because their views contradict Fauci's. It's pretty elitist (in the bad way) to assume software knowledge is the inherent dividing line between the people I want to associate with and those I don't. Also, people who write bots have the knowledge to configure this sort of stuff so it's no barrier to them creating a few million bots any time they want. But if the cost is $10 to make an account that's nothing to any adult but certainly changes the prospect of running up another few million bots as the old ones are detected and banned / ignored.

In short, you haven't thought it through.
Words words words,

Don't care; still using TOR and I2P.

Coolio55

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> KIRBY DANCE
kiwifarms.net
Is this shit just future somethingawful?

E: Also, just noticed. When I said galaxies a few posts above I actually meant universes.

Last edited:

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
Explain the butthurt of going back to posts you read and rating them dumb just because someone disagreed with you?
1623157056524.png

Is this shit just future somethingawful?

E: Also, just noticed. When I said galaxies a few posts above I actually meant universes.
Don't think so, nothing is public by default and it costs money

Green Banana

kiwifarms.net
To all the people hating on Hoon you're overlooking the fact that there are ways to pronounce all those weird symbols
so this
Code:
|=  [email protected]                                               ::  1
=/  [email protected]  1                                          ::  2
|-                                                      ::  3
^-  (list @)                                            ::  4
?:  =(end count)                                        ::  5
  ~                                                     ::  6
:-  count                                               ::  7
$(count (add 1 count))
isn't what you're thinking when you learn to read properly, you're actually going "bartis end-tis-pat tisfas count-tis-pat 1 barhep ket-hep pal list pat par wutcol tis-pal end count par sig colhep buc-pal count pal add 1 count par par" which is way easier to understand.

That's a desperate rationalization. It's not like MS Windows being proprietary keeps it from being used by ransom ware. Paying for a walled garden just means your paying and you're blocked in by walls. In this garden your safety is not guaranteed and some learn that the hard way.

Green Banana

kiwifarms.net
That's a desperate rationalization. It's not like MS Windows being proprietary keeps it from being used by ransom ware. Paying for a walled garden just means your paying and you're blocked in by walls. In this garden your safety is not guaranteed and some learn that the hard way.
The parts of urbit that correspond to Windows are free and open source. The part that corresponds to your 'live' account is what costs, except it's an NFT that can't be taken from you.

Not sure how a ransomware attack on an urbit would work, since all packets are signed with an identity that is baked into the ship.

Again the reason why you pay for your planet is because you now own an address on the network ie. a domain name, forever. The reason you buy a star is because you're selling planets at market rates, or perhaps bundled with hosting, or maybe distributing software.

You cannot be b& or v& by a central agent on the network, but also if you are a bad actor individuals can cut you off. It's not policy but incentive that keeps scammers from buying tons of planets, and running their reputations into the ground. If they wanted to resell those planets, it would be at a loss.