The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Post about Windows, ask questions about Windows.

1. I recently heard that large chunks of it are being open sourced. Is this true? Are they significant?

2. I know of Cygwin, which allows you to use a *nix terminal in Windows. Are there other things which replace parts of Windows, such as the desktop environment?

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
tl;dr

So what does all of that mean? Here's what Windows Core OS is, at its core:

• A universal base for Windows products.
  • Allows Microsoft to build new versions of Windows for different device types quickly and efficiently.
  • Shares components and features where it makes sense.
  • Features faster updates.
  • Is the future of Windows on new and unique device types.
  • Doesn't replace legacy Windows 10.

As I mentioned in my initial Windows Core OS write up back in 2017, this is a big deal. It's the future of Windows, and Microsoft is playing the long game here. While Windows Core OS won't immediately take over, in 10-15 years, things will definitely be different. By then, Windows Core OS may be the primarily Windows platform, as it evolves and matures to be as such. We'll update this article frequently with new information as it becomes available. What are your thoughts on Windows Core OS? Let us know in the comments.

Nanook Rubs It

The Naughty Eskimo
kiwifarms.net
I was just about to start shitting all over Windows 10, but null has already done it for me

Windows 10 has been known from the beginning to have big security flaws. Not to mention the user interface is just horrible compared to previous versions. I'd literally rather use Windows Vista than Windows 10, if for no other reason than I wouldn't have to look at this disgusting, horrible, half-assed apple-esque shit:

Personally, I use Windows XP x64. However Windows 7 is still a good alternative (if you get a slightly older version and turn off updates), as a secondary option.

However, EVEN WINDOWS 7 WON'T ALLOW YOU TO USE BEAUTIFUL GIF WALLPAPER!

Citation Checking Project

Wokescolds of the world, unite!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2. I know of Cygwin, which allows you to use a *nix terminal in Windows. Are there other things which replace parts of Windows, such as the desktop environment?
There's Windows Subsystem for Linux that is built-in. It's Ubuntu in a paravirtualised container. (kinda) (I think). Check https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-install. People I know say it's decent.

Also the latest version of Microsoft Edge from 2 days ago is now based on Chromium, just like Google Chrome and Brave. That's interesting news. We've lost something in terms of web engine diversity imho, but so be it.

And don't forget, in spite of the naysayers, MS Windows is still the most popular Desktop OS of all time ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Yotsubaaa

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
KDE made some efforts to port their desktop to Windows. I tried it years ago and it was very buggy, maybe it's better now.

There's also stuff like bb4win and its forks, which replaces the graphical shell with a *box like WM. But AFAIK it doesn't work on Windows 10.

But it does. Windows could use animated gif wallpapers since Win98.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Windows Subsystem for Linux that is built-in. It's Ubuntu in a paravirtualised container. (kinda) (I think)
That's WSL2, WSL(1) is an API wrapper over the WinAPI. They're both supported products and both have their own usecases, WSL2 doesn't replace WSL1. You can use which ever one you like. Obviously WSL doesn't have all the functionality of WSL2 but if it does what you need, then it uses less memory (since it isn't an entire VM).
Should be noted WSL2 is still an Insider thing and not in the released for 1909, but WSL is.

Windows 10 has been known from the beginning to have big security flaws. Not to mention the user interface is just horrible compared to previous versions. I'd literally rather use Windows Vista than Windows 10, if for no other reason than I wouldn't have to look at this disgusting, horrible, half-assed apple-esque shit:
I really hate faggots like you that beg people to use an outdated, unsecured OS because "uuuh it looks ugly". Politics is no reason to try and convince people to run a piece of software that could be exploited and potentially ruin their lives. For the love of god if you insist on your hatred for 10 then just ask people to install Linux or something. I missed Aero after 10 came out, but I installed it anyway and put up with it and got used to it and now I don't even miss 7 with all the improvements and tools 10 came with. I'm not some pussy bitch who foresakes productivity because "uuh the colors clash, so gaudy". I also learned it's functionality and how to disable anything I wasn't satisfied with through Registry settings and Group Policy policies, because I'm not some fucking Eloi.

Looney Troons

i need that money i really do i need that money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact: when Red Dead Redemption 2 launched, it was riddled with issues. Some redditor decided to go in and remove some recent security updates for Windows, and had success in hiding his mouse cursor in-game when using a controller. This “fix” apparently worked for a large number of people, so much so that R* adopted this as potential troubleshooting issues for other adjacent issues for their game. Yes, Rockstar has advised people to uninstall security updates/hotfixes in order to get their game to run. Priorities, I guess. I have a screenshot of it on my computer, but could just as easily find an archive.

I only use Windows for gaming nowadays, but it’s clearly the product of H1B developer mills, and has been since 8. Win10 works fine, I guess. I don’t do anything stupid, keep updated, and keep a fairly clean inventory of applications currently installed - ensuring they’re also updated. It boots, and I can play games. I’m not sure if I’d ever trust Windows Server to host externally-facing webservers. Speaking of, I remember this whole “Windows <3s Linux” campaign a few years back where Windows was allegedly going to adopt an Ubuntu kernel. I do know Insiders were able to play around with it in developer mode, but did anything actually come of that? What was it like?

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of, I remember this whole “Windows <3s Linux” campaign a few years back where Windows was allegedly going to adopt an Ubuntu kernel. I do know Insiders were able to play around with it in developer mode, but did anything actually come of that? What was it like?
That's Windows Subsystem for Linux. If you're on 1909 (run winver to check) you can use WSL1 right now. You'll need to go into Features and turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux and then restart, then you can download Ubuntu from the Store. It's not Linux, it's just an API wrapper. It has tools like APT and stuff, but no systemd and is missing some /dev stuff that Windows doesn't have a direct analogue to. WSL2 is an actual full Linux in a hypervisor, but it's for Insiders only right now. And yeah, WSL is pretty cool. It's more than just a VM, it actually fully integrates with the OS and they share your OS filesystem. It's a very well-designed system and blows similar concepts like WINE out of the water.
MS<3Linux was more than just running Linux apps on Windows though. It also involves porting software to Linux, which brought about .NET Core, PowerShell Core and VSCode, among other things.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was just about to start shitting all over Windows 10, but null has already done it for me

Personally, I use Windows XP x64. However Windows 7 is still a good alternative (if you get a slightly older version and turn off updates), as a secondary option.

Use this if you want Windows 7 and higher to have a shell that is sane and accessible.

Nanook Rubs It

The Naughty Eskimo
kiwifarms.net
Not Windows XP. It has Zero security flaws.

(EDIT:
Use this if you want Windows 7 and higher to have a shell that is sane and accessible.

What sort of animal are you?

"Oh boy let me take all the worst aspects of Windows 10 and puts them on a perfectly good Windows 7"

Deplorable.

That said, you just learnt me a knowledge: I had no idea custom shells were a possibility until you just mentioned that. That's beautiful. I always wanted that to be a thing, but I guess since I didn't know the term "shell" it made it a lot harder to find. Thank you, you horrible monster.

Last edited:
Tags
None