The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Then report your issue in the Feedback Hub
lol no, I'm not going to register a Microsoft account for an OS I rarely used and already uninstalled a while back.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the hardware. The same exact hardware works just splendidly with other systems.
And Windows 10 works just as awful on every machine I ever used it on.

Maybe I'm just too spoiled with systems that aren't as god awful as Win 10.

• Agree
Reactions: moocow and hauser

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lol no, I'm not going to register a Microsoft account for an OS I rarely used and already uninstalled a while back.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the hardware. The same exact hardware works just splendidly with other systems.
And Windows 10 works just as awful on every machine I ever used it on.

Maybe I'm just too spoiled with systems that aren't as god awful as Win 10.
Did you just come into this thread to complain?

• Mad at the Internet

garakfan69

kiwifarms.net
I haven't been in the Linux community in a couple years after I stopped using it, but if this is the sort of snobby elitism the community encourages, I can see why only trannies use it now.
What's elitist about complaining? Or thinking that Win 10 is garbage and a step down from 7?
There's ton of Linux software I could complain about too but I don't think that would be appropriate in a Windows thread.

• Agree

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's elitist about complaining? Or thinking that Win 10 is garbage and a step down from 7?
There's ton of Linux software I could complain about too but I don't think that would be appropriate in a Windows thread.
I understand criticisms and therapeutic complaining, but if I have issues or difficulties with software, I usually try to learn how it works, how to configure it or replace aspects of it, and get input from other users on how they cope with it.
Not "wow X is shit and has always been shit and I'm indifferent to how it works for you"

Obviously I have enough criticisms of Linux to have completely stopped using it after using it exclusively for the better half of a decade, but I don't go around threads shitting up how much I dislike it. I shared some stories about how various software in the ecosystem has failed me and other people have offered helpful suggestions on how to handle my issues, which I accepted with kind, even though those suggestions won't really do any good for me anymore.

What you're doing is just outright shitposting and I feel inclined to tell you that I don't appreciate it. Not that I asked, but you didn't share anything about your hardware configuration, what version you were using, what you tried to do to fix it, what things like alternative shell replacements you tried, etc.. I told you that you could report your issue in Feedback Hub, that will automatically send your hardware configuration to MS so they could try to better support it. This is how a lot of bad configurations became usable for people.

Alternatively, if you're more than happy on Linux and don't want to use Windows 10 simply because you don't prefer it, why are you here.

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Windows 10's image was kind of muddied by the fact that they released it intentionally unfinished. Not to be lazy or greedy or any sort of bad intent. 10 was going to be a massive upgrade that changed the entire UX of the system. This was, and still is, going to take years. Across having to modify, update and rewrite dozens of different products. Instead of letting it fall into development hell and become the next Taligent while people were still pissed at Windows 8 and had no desire to move off Windows 7 (which they already saw was going to be the next Windows XP EOL crisis), they decided to release Windows 10 in a very much beta stage and allow people to give feedback on the system as it updated and matured.

I was with 10 all the way back when it was in preview. It was utterly unusable, the Start menu wouldn't even open. I've watched it evolve so much that it's now surpassed Windows 7 for me, in usability, performance, and even bugs. I hear far less people these days go "well it doesn't work for me" than I used to. Because Windows 10 is slowly crawling out of it's "beta-but-not-beta" phase and becoming a real, polished product.
Why the UX redesign? Multithreading or something to do with crossplatform UI design?

While I'm no expert I do know that removing Cortana speeds things up a lot.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why the UX redesign? Multithreading or something to do with crossplatform UI design?

While I'm no expert I do know that removing Cortana speeds things up a lot.
Marketing/chasing trends I guess. I don't know either really, I quite liked Aero and so did a lot of people. But they're dedicated to it, going back and changing everything to make it more consistent and fancy. UX isn't the only thing they're doing, they're also working on UWP and making it more of a multi-platform framework rather than just a shitty phone app framework as it was conceptualized in Windows 8. They made the current UX really nice though and I like the glass transparency they added to it, kind of makes up for a lack of Aero.
The change is also sort of a way to bridge 7 and 8. 8 was a failure, but they couldn't just go back on it, especially after introducing UWP, which they now have to support. They honestly did a good job with the technical-political restraints they put on themselves with having to make people like 8 while making it feel like 7 but also feel like a whole new system at the same time.
I don't know what technical improvements they made on the current explorer. What they did to it in Vista was the real big milestone, having invented WPF and rewriting some of explorer in it. Everything after was mostly just small incremental upgrades.

Fortunately they're removing Cortana, next version should have it removed, but you can download it in the Store if you miss it. I wish Cortana was useful, it was such a waste of potential.

garakfan69

kiwifarms.net
I understand criticisms and therapeutic complaining, but if I have issues or difficulties with software, I usually try to learn how it works, how to configure it or replace aspects of it
I do too. And I know most of the reasons behind my Win 10's problems already.
I wasn't looking for help to begin with. I just gave my opinion and experiences with Windows 10 to contrast yours.
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. In hindsight I should have elaborated sooner.

For example, the updates. Because I rarely use it, a ton of updates accumulate. And Windows Update being dog shit can't handle a ton of updates at once.
Am I going to boot into it every week just to install updates and shut it down again? Hell no.
Am I going to vent how shit it is? Yes.

Or why does right-click take forever? Because it's awfully programmed and has to scan a million different registry entries and file locations to build the file context menu. It was always like that but it has become even worse in Win 10.
I could buy some new super fast M2 SSD to mitigate this somewhat but I'm not going to throw away a perfectly fine working disk because Microsoft can't write basic shit efficiently.
And yes I experimented with alternative shells. Win 10 is worse for them.

If you want to convince me that Win 10 is not shit and it's just me being stupid (which does happen a lot), you can.
But I don't care enough to install Windows 10 again, register an account, download an app, send all my data to Microsoft, and wait for some fix I have zero confidence in getting.

don't want to use Windows 10 simply because you don't prefer it, why are you here.
Is this thread only for people who seek support for Windows 10 installations?

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do too. And I know most of the reasons behind my Win 10's problems already.
I wasn't looking for help to begin with. I just gave my opinion and experiences with Windows 10 to contrast yours.
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. In hindsight I should have elaborated sooner.

For example, the updates. Because I rarely use it, a ton of updates accumulate. And Windows Update being dog shit can't handle a ton of updates at once.
Am I going to boot into it every week just to install updates and shut it down again? Hell no.
Am I going to vent how shit it is? Yes.

Or why does right-click take forever? Because it's awfully programmed and has to scan a million different registry entries and file locations to build the file context menu. It was always like that but it has become even worse in Win 10.
I could buy some new super fast M2 SSD to mitigate this somewhat but I'm not going to throw away a perfectly fine working disk because Microsoft can't write basic shit efficiently.
And yes I experimented with alternative shells. Win 10 is worse for them.

If you want to convince me that Win 10 is not shit and it's just me being stupid (which does happen a lot), you can.
That's fair.

Unfortunately yes, you need an SSD for 10, it's a requirement. I should have mentioned that sooner. I don't see it as a big issue since pretty much every modern computer has an SSD, probably why 10 doesn't see it an issue either. I have a few HDD computers around the house that use Linux because of that, just an opinion but I consider HDD machines to basically be obsolete at this point, not much different from how stuff just doesn't work on old CPUs due to missing modern instructions. SSDs are mature and cheap now and have been out for a long time, most of my old machines are just laptops or formfactors that can't have an SSD.

I know what you're talking about with right-click, but I haven't noticed that myself. It might be an HDD-related issue as you assumed. I don't have too many Registry issues since I just don't install a lot of random software, so it behaves itself.

As for updating, I'll have to take your word for that, since the updates are accumulative, meaning updating every week should be the same as updating every year, so there technically shouldn't be a difference. But I feel the same way with Linux, I remember the time I nuked my Arch install for not updating after a few months, which is something all package managers share since they have to juggle dependencies and hope none of them get out of date instead of having any sort of side-by-side assembly support that Windows has had for the last two decades. I'll just chock this up to being the result of an unfortunate side-effect of software that has a constant update cycle.

I wouldn't call it "shit" just because of it's dependence on SSD, given it works great for me on an SSD, but I'll leave that up to be a personal opinion.

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
As for updating, I'll have to take your word for that, since the updates are accumulative, meaning updating every week should be the same as updating every year, so there technically shouldn't be a difference. But I feel the same way with Linux, I remember the time I nuked my Arch install for not updating after a few months, which is something all package managers share since they have to juggle dependencies and hope none of them get out of date instead of having any sort of side-by-side assembly support that Windows has had for the last two decades. I'll just chock this up to being the result of an unfortunate side-effect of software that has a constant update cycle.
Mint is really good about that, the first thing it does is check to see if a new software updater is available, and then it updates programs.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
4. How do I disable/remove telemetry?

5. How do I permanently and reliably stop automatic updates?
1. You can't. Telemetry is a kernel-level and system-level feature in Windows 10, with about a hundred fucking redundancies, in case you find one way to turn it off. Your best option is to pirate Windows 10 LTSC and IP Range Ban all Microsoft IPs at your router, and hope you didn't miss any. Don't fool yourself for a single second into thinking that Windows 10 was built for ANY reason, other than as spyware first, and an operating system second. That's objective fact, and you're just gonna have to live with it.

2. Install Windows 10 LTSC. It's a version of Windows designed for POS Systems, MRI scanners, and other machines that will almost certainly break with your standard six month update pack (which is to say, ALL machines, but these ones are important so they can't afford to break every six months, but I digress). It's a stripped down version of Windows 10 with most Telemetry removed, Automatic updates are not only disabled, but IMPOSSIBLE, and it has the base featureset of Windows 7. It's really just a net benefit to install it over regular 10. No Microsoft Store, no Cortana, no Purble Place, no Goodgame Empire, No Minecraft, No Xbox LIVE.

That said, if you actually give a shit about infosec, you have to be 100% fucking braindead to not have switched to Linux, Tails, FreeBSD, TempleOS, or something else, by now.

Last edited:

Occam's Spork

kiwifarms.net
Is this thread only for people who seek support for Windows 10 installations?
Well, it is the windows OS thread, but I hear what you're saying regardless.

If what The fool says is true about it being released as a testbed to the public and having them build it, I kinda understand after the shitty way 8 was handled. I can also see why they would just stick a part of nix* into the OS kernel itself, it makes it easier to interface with other machines that do run pure linux or BSD or what have you.

If you really want to tell ppl how much linux is superior to stroke your e-peen, there's a linux thread around here somewhere, I'm sure.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Citation Checking Project

Wokescolds of the world, unite!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Any of y'all "Seven forever" lovely individuals would install GNU LibreSeven if hypothetically it became a thing?

More than 10 years on from its campaign to persuade users to dump Windows 7 for a non-proprietary alternative, the Free Software Foundation (FSF) has kicked off a petition to urge Microsoft to open-source the recently snuffed software.

On the face of it, the logic seems pretty simple. On 14 January Windows 7 reached its end of life as Microsoft turned off the free security update taps with a final fix (which seemed to bork desktop wallpapers for some users).

"Its life doesn't have to end," cried the foundation. "We call on Microsoft to upcycle it instead."

Unfortunately, the FSF couldn't resist a final dig, saying the killing of the OS had brought to an end "its updates as well as its 10 years of poisoning education, invading privacy, and threatening user security."

Hey team, way to go on persuading the Redmond gang to do you a solid. Suggesting such a release would go some way to "undo past wrongs" may not be a persuasive argument for the Seattle suits, who probably saw Windows 7 as way of undoing the heinous deeds of Vista.

There is a precedent. Ancient MS-DOS and Word code has been opened up, and the Calculator app found in the current Windows 10 now lurks on GitHub. But an entire, relatively recent OS?

We can see some problems, not least the licensed components lurking in Windows 7 that would need to be either excised or open-sourced as well. Then there are the bits and pieces that the company would consider valuable secrets (large chunks of Windows 7 linger on in Windows 10 after all.)

And then there is the fact that Windows 7 is not actually unsupported. Three more years of updates are available for those who can pay. And with Windows (as well those parts of it licensed to third parties) still accounting for a sizeable chunk of Microsoft's revenues, we can imagine a very functional and highly compatible free version is not really in the company's best fiscal interests.

And let's be honest, who knows what might be lurking in that code. "Take that, Penguin fsckers!" anyone? It was a different time.

The Register contacted Microsoft on the off-chance that Windows 7 might be showing up on GitHub at some point soon, but we were told that the company doesn't comment on rumours and speculation. The Win 7 request from FSF is neither rumour nor speculation.

In any event, if open source is your thing, there are plenty of Linux distributions in a far better state of usefulness than what was around when Windows 7 first launched. And if there is that Windows app you just can't do without, the popular compatibility layer Wine received a bump to version 5 this week, replete with over 7,400 tweaks to allow you to inflict more Windows apps on your Penguin-tinged OS.

Still, never say never. If you told us 10 years ago that Microsoft would be about to ship a version of Windows containing the Linux kernel we might have sprayed precious beer from our nostrils.

So who knows what else might be coming down the line? ®

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1. You can't. Telemetry is a kernel-level and system-level feature in Windows 10, with about a hundred fucking redundancies, in case you find one way to turn it off. Your best option is to pirate Windows 10 LTSC and IP Range Ban all Microsoft IPs at your router, and hope you didn't miss any. Don't fool yourself for a single second into thinking that Windows 10 was built for ANY reason, other than as spyware first, and an operating system second. That's objective fact, and you're just gonna have to live with it.

2. Install Windows 10 LTSC. It's a version of Windows designed for POS Systems, MRI scanners, and other machines that will almost certainly break with your standard six month update pack (which is to say, ALL machines, but these ones are important so they can't afford to break every six months, but I digress). It's a stripped down version of Windows 10 with most Telemetry removed, Automatic updates are not only disabled, but IMPOSSIBLE, and it has the base featureset of Windows 7. It's really just a net benefit to install it over regular 10. No Microsoft Store, no Cortana, no Purble Place, no Goodgame Empire, No Minecraft, No Xbox LIVE.

That said, if you actually give a shit about infosec, you have to be 100% fucking braindead to not have switched to Linux, Tails, FreeBSD, TempleOS, or something else, by now.
to disable telemetry, all it takes is a Windows 10 Enterprise key (not LTSC or LTSB), and you can get them for $2.50 in the link in one of my previous posts

never install W10 LTSC, this is not good advice, you will run into weird edge cases all over the place because it was not meant for general consumer use. this is doubly true for laptops that aren't business models.

someone who cares about infosec should be following the work of CHEF-KOCH closely: https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/Windows-10-hardening (note that a windows 10 enterprise key is a requirement here)

lastly, if your machine is so old that it cannot support a SSD (and 120GB SSDs are like $20 so cost is not a barrier to entry) then you should probably be using something like Puppy Linux which loads the entire OS into a RAM disk.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: ??? and The Fool

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Any of y'all "Seven forever" lovely individuals would install GNU LibreSeven if hypothetically it became a thing?

More than 10 years on from its campaign to persuade users to dump Windows 7 for a non-proprietary alternative, the Free Software Foundation (FSF) has kicked off a petition to urge Microsoft to open-source the recently snuffed software.

On the face of it, the logic seems pretty simple. On 14 January Windows 7 reached its end of life as Microsoft turned off the free security update taps with a final fix (which seemed to bork desktop wallpapers for some users).

"Its life doesn't have to end," cried the foundation. "We call on Microsoft to upcycle it instead."

Unfortunately, the FSF couldn't resist a final dig, saying the killing of the OS had brought to an end "its updates as well as its 10 years of poisoning education, invading privacy, and threatening user security."

Hey team, way to go on persuading the Redmond gang to do you a solid. Suggesting such a release would go some way to "undo past wrongs" may not be a persuasive argument for the Seattle suits, who probably saw Windows 7 as way of undoing the heinous deeds of Vista.

There is a precedent. Ancient MS-DOS and Word code has been opened up, and the Calculator app found in the current Windows 10 now lurks on GitHub. But an entire, relatively recent OS?

We can see some problems, not least the licensed components lurking in Windows 7 that would need to be either excised or open-sourced as well. Then there are the bits and pieces that the company would consider valuable secrets (large chunks of Windows 7 linger on in Windows 10 after all.)

And then there is the fact that Windows 7 is not actually unsupported. Three more years of updates are available for those who can pay. And with Windows (as well those parts of it licensed to third parties) still accounting for a sizeable chunk of Microsoft's revenues, we can imagine a very functional and highly compatible free version is not really in the company's best fiscal interests.

And let's be honest, who knows what might be lurking in that code. "Take that, Penguin fsckers!" anyone? It was a different time.

The Register contacted Microsoft on the off-chance that Windows 7 might be showing up on GitHub at some point soon, but we were told that the company doesn't comment on rumours and speculation. The Win 7 request from FSF is neither rumour nor speculation.

In any event, if open source is your thing, there are plenty of Linux distributions in a far better state of usefulness than what was around when Windows 7 first launched. And if there is that Windows app you just can't do without, the popular compatibility layer Wine received a bump to version 5 this week, replete with over 7,400 tweaks to allow you to inflict more Windows apps on your Penguin-tinged OS.

Still, never say never. If you told us 10 years ago that Microsoft would be about to ship a version of Windows containing the Linux kernel we might have sprayed precious beer from our nostrils.

So who knows what else might be coming down the line? ®
These fucking morons don't realize the 7 kernel is very, very similar to the 10 kernel. Windows is a very slow-moving target and releasing 7's source would essentially be releasing 10. ReactOS entirely depends on Windows choosing stability and compatibility over any radical changes so they have a chance to catch up with it.

I would have made a joke about you being so paranoid that you should just install TempleOS and call it a day, but you literally did that for me.

Tags
None