Infected TV Tropes community -

Philosophy Zombie

I'M BACK, BABY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I posted a thread on TV Tropes in Lolcow. Apparently it's not true and honest, but I think the forums shit at least is going to be interesting to a few people.

The TV Tropes wiki forums—where tropers do their Important Trope Business like pointing out that a page is autistic and then not doing anything about it—and the "forums forums" are pretty segregated. Most of the forum users have long given up on contributing to the wiki in any meaningful way. In essence many of the wiki users see the forum users as the bottom of a seemingly bottomless and feces-filled barrel.

By the way, for years the only rule of the forums was "don't be a dick". There is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with such specific guidelines.

The "forums forums" are further segregated into different subforums. Think of the middle of your screen like the Chicago River in Chicago, or the equivalent in your region, whatever. Tropers from the left side rarely go to the right side of the forums and vise versa. Historically the two sides have hated each other (less so now though, the dividing line is less rigid now). Both sides are autistic, but the left side is like a pretentious, stupid asshole with Asperger's, and the right is more like that weird sped kid who runs around shouting random memes like a spastic. In the middle is the Media section, which is slightly less spergy than the other two sections, but not by that much.

The left side has three subforums: On-Topic Conversations—the "real world issues" forum, Writer's Block, and World Building, which no one posts in so it's not worth talking about. On-Topic Conversations and Writer's Block don't overlap that much, but the posters are similar. They are generally really politically correct and a lot less informed or talented than they think they are. OTC is strongly hated by the rest of the forums. Sometimes there is interesting discussion there, but generally the most prominent posters are the people who write the biggest walls of text and run their mouths; the Racism, Women's Issues, and Sexism threads in particular are huge SJW cesspools. TV Tropes is definitely in the Wrong Planet vein of not telling posters what huge douchebags they are, which leads to posts like this.

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/upload_2015-3-27_19-9-44-png.21595/

There are also a ton of threads that are just long lists of infodumps in lieu of actual discussion, which is either better or worse depending on how you think about it. (Seriously. If you look in, say, the Science Thread, virtually the entire 35-page thread is JUST THE SAME GUY posting articles he found. No back-and forth whatsoever. Only one person.)

As for Writer's Block... well, this could basically sum it up for you:

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/upload_2015-3-27_19-19-9-png.21598/

As for the right side, there's practically only two forums people use—Forum Games and Yack Fest, which is like a mix of Off-Topic and Inner Circle on the Kiwi Farms, except with a lot more 15-year-old girls running around, and a touch of Wizardchan in places. There are something like 5 shitposting threads just for different cliques. As Hellblazer once said about Inner Circle, it's a drool-coated ghetto McDonalds ballpit of autism. There's not much else to say except that until last year there used to be a sex thread called the Nunnery until someone (very understandably) thought it was creepy and reported it to Google, and Google was threatening the site owner's ad money so he nuked it immediately, and most of the posts aren't archived so unfortunately I can't show you anything.

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/upload_2015-3-27_20-7-48-png.21602/
from "Odd confessions"

edit: to clarify, this isn't about the site itself which people are saying is not lolcow-worthy, but the community of tropers behind it (but if you find something really dumb on the wiki, I have nothing against you posting it here).

Last edited:

Philosophy Zombie

I'M BACK, BABY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been on the forums and aside from a few people, it's primitive, loaded with people who have huge biases. anti-complaining (that's actually a rule).

The site itself is inoffensive. Nothing that would warrant constant discussion.
I would agree that the site itself can be entertaining aside from the semi-frequent entry that is exceptional, like ten entries for My Little Pony (for all of them you basically had to have persistent sexual thoughts about horses to think they were any kind of double entendre) in Accidental Innuendo or an entry in Insistent Terminology that said that you should never call a zoophile a bestial because bestials don't love their animals and only want to fuck them. I found all of that within the past year by the way.

The community is really the main problem, and the problems the wiki has are mostly due to the community being dumb as rocks, but if you never ever go into YMMV or WMG or whatever, you can be oblivious to them. Also once you know about how tropers are, you start to notice more autism in the main wiki.

I found TV Tropes as a preteen, although I didn't know about the forums for a few years. I never posted there because I thought I was too lowbrow for them, which I realize now is kind of the opposite of the truth. I still lurk mostly because many of the regulars fascinate me, and once in a great while there can be a decent conversation. Not that often though.

Last edited:

Philosophy Zombie

I'M BACK, BABY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(sorry I couldn't find a lot of hard evidence, the way TV Tropes is set up makes it extremely difficult to find older posts)

One of the OTC regulars visits Wrong Planet on a regular basis; while he might not be an out and out spergers supremacist, most of the time he sounds like one. He desperately wants autism to "spread" and there to be more autistic people because in his mind if there were more of them "neurotypicals" would have to notice the autistic for the geniuses they are. I remember at one point he said he would jerk off into the tap water if it created more autistics. He sees people with more severe autism than himself as WINDOWS TO HELL (said he "can't stand them", emphasis his) and readily admits that even though he realizes saying publicly that mentally disabled people discomfit you makes you kind of a jackass.

"normal people are disgusting"
upload_2015-3-29_15-52-51.png

He monopolizes the autism thread even though the other people there have called him out on it, and everybody already knows what he thinks because he basically repeated the same sentiment like 90 times. He refuses to take responsibility for his own future and blames his poor lot in life on how society is discriminatory toward people like him.

Once he turned the thread onto himself to rant about how he can't get a high-paying job because there aren't any disability services in his state. When the other regulars pointed out that he couldn't just wait around for someone to save him, and he wouldn't want to be placed by a disability agency anyway because they'll just put him in front of a screen to punch in numbers and use him as a cute little tax break with little chance of anything greater, he chimped out on them for being too harsh (read: not pitying him). He also complains that he doesn't have any friends in real life and can't make friends at work despite the fact that he said himself that he always eats lunch at his desk and never attends work functions or parties when those are two of the main opportunities to befriend coworkers—he explicitly mentions he is able to avoid those functions due to his boss giving him special treatment because of his autism.

Not the same guy, but I found this when I was looking for a good screenshot.

upload_2015-3-29_15-47-41.png

This is like the fine wine of stupidity. It gets more and more exceptional with age.

Attachments

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A billion years ago I'm running the video room at a nerd con. We're watching a movie where a ghost chick pulls a guy in a tree, in a franchise that already established its own bullshit magic space trees with sentience and powers and whatever ages ago. Sperg in the front exclaims how it's clearly a dryad. Then he spent the rest of the movie bitching about how it wasn't acting right for a dryad.

That's what I think of when I see TV Tropes.

That Guy

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I went on the TVTropes forum once . It's a shithole populated by SJWs and furries. They spend all their time sperging out about trivial shit like forum categories and tropes. Furthermore, it's got so many different little rabbit holes it's hard to find what you want. The mod team reminds me of FurAffinity in that they are laughably incompetent.

Stick to the trope pages, it's the only part of the site that's worth your time.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
During Fast Eddie's regime, posts older than 6 months are automatically deleted. Don't know about how things are done under new management.
Oh god, that guy... didn't he get rid of the page on Lolita (the book) because it's about paedophilia?

Made me laugh pretty hard, considering the TVTropes community...

S

SU 390

kiwifarms.net
I posted a thread on TV Tropes in Lolcow. Apparently it's not true and honest, but I think the forums shit at least is going to be interesting to a few people.

The TV Tropes wiki forums—where tropers do their Important Trope Business like pointing out that a page is autistic and then not doing anything about it—and the "forums forums" are pretty segregated. Most of the forum users have long given up on contributing to the wiki in any meaningful way. In essence many of the wiki users see the forum users as the bottom of a seemingly bottomless and feces-filled barrel.

By the way, for years the only rule of the forums was "don't be a dick". There is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with such specific guidelines.

The "forums forums" are further segregated into different subforums. Think of the middle of your screen like the Chicago River in Chicago, or the equivalent in your region, whatever. Tropers from the left side rarely go to the right side of the forums and vise versa. Historically the two sides have hated each other (less so now though, the dividing line is less rigid now). Both sides are autistic, but the left side is like a pretentious, stupid asshole with Asperger's, and the right is more like that weird sped kid who runs around shouting random memes like a spastic. In the middle is the Media section, which is slightly less spergy than the other two sections, but not by that much.

The left side has three subforums: On-Topic Conversations—the "real world issues" forum, Writer's Block, and World Building, which no one posts in so it's not worth talking about. On-Topic Conversations and Writer's Block don't overlap that much, but the posters are similar. They are generally really politically correct and a lot less informed or talented than they think they are. OTC is strongly hated by the rest of the forums. Sometimes there is interesting discussion there, but generally the most prominent posters are the people who write the biggest walls of text and run their mouths; the Racism, Women's Issues, and Sexism threads in particular are huge SJW cesspools. TV Tropes is definitely in the Wrong Planet vein of not telling posters what huge douchebags they are, which leads to posts like this.

There are also a ton of threads that are just long lists of infodumps in lieu of actual discussion, which is either better or worse depending on how you think about it. (Seriously. If you look in, say, the Science Thread, virtually the entire 35-page thread is JUST THE SAME GUY posting articles he found. No back-and forth whatsoever. Only one person.)

As for Writer's Block... well, this could basically sum it up for you:

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/upload_2015-3-27_19-19-9-png.21598/

As for the right side, there's practically only two forums people use—Forum Games and Yack Fest, which is like a mix of Off-Topic and Inner Circle on the Kiwi Farms, except with a lot more 15-year-old girls running around, and a touch of Wizardchan in places. There are something like 5 shitposting threads just for different cliques. As Hellblazer once said about Inner Circle, it's a drool-coated ghetto McDonalds ballpit of autism. There's not much else to say except that until last year there used to be a sex thread called the Nunnery until someone (very understandably) thought it was creepy and reported it to Google, and Google was threatening the site owner's ad money so he nuked it immediately, and most of the posts aren't archived so unfortunately I can't show you anything.

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/upload_2015-3-27_20-7-48-png.21602/
from "Odd confessions"

edit: to clarify, this isn't about the site itself which people are saying is not lolcow-worthy, but the community of tropers behind it (but if you find something really dumb on the wiki, I have nothing against you posting it here).

As a black person, this greatly depressed me reading this bit.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The worst stuff on tropes is fanfic-related shit. It didn't seem unreasonable to see fanfic tropes there when they were definitive or otherwise memorable on their own, but there seems to be a bunch of autists who obsessively document shit that completely doesn't matter. Sometimes, these are even pages created by the autist who wrote the autistic fanfic itself. And there are some genuine cows there who put crazy shit on their own personal pages.

Okay, that's wikigroaning that could be said about the real Wikipedia. But another thing is true of both communities. The actual product is useful/informative/entertaining and you can basically read without ever interacting with the incredibly toxic community. As on Wikipedia, you can look to the cited sources if something seems questionable, and it often is when many contested pages are basically just the current results of an ongoing edit war.

DirkBloodStormKing

Actual Lesbian Female
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

As a black person, this greatly depressed me reading this bit.
Not even black and I thought this was depressing.

He went so far left he started to loop.
It's things like this as to why Stormfront or SJW exist in the first place.

Red_Rager

kiwifarms.net
I guess when you have a website where the main purpouse is to over-analyze media for recurring tropes, you're going to attract some very interesting people.

Also, I heard over on 4chan that TVT has gotten "SJW".
To quote ED
...just as how deviantART breeds hack artists and FanFiction.Net breeds hack writers, TV Tropes breeds hack critical analysts.
Not surprising this place would become a breading ground for sjws.

Usually I go on "All the tropes" for my tropes fix, they advertise themselves as being censorship-free version of TVT. Don't know much about their community though.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino