• ”I'm not your lolcow. Your MY lolcows.”

Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Dio Brando, May 18, 2015.

1. I got plenty but I'll start with my spergy Dragonball opinions
    I generally prefer to watch english dubs, but DBZ is not one of them. Nostalgia be damned I grew up with it to, but Funimation had no idea what the hell they were doing. It's a fun time capsule to look at, but it's a completely amateur effort on it's own merits. Masako Nozawa is the absolute best voice for Son Goku, because nobody can compete with her level of dedication and passion for the role.

Bruce Faulconer is a complete hack, fraud, and doesn't deserve the respect he gets. Regardless of your opinion on his music( I prefer Kikuchi's and Yammato's music and all) his ego and treatment of his team is inexcusable. Most of the tracks in the american soundtrack weren't even done by him, and the fact that he continues to get credit, and money from them is disgusting. Scott Morgan, Mike Smith, and Julius Dobos deserve most of the credit.

Kid Goku vs Tenshinhan was the best fight in the entire franchise.
    ALL of the Broly movies suck even by DBZ movie standards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    #1041 SuicideIsPainless, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    SuicideIsPainless

SuicideIsPainless Worse than you think

kiwifarms.is
  2. Goku vs Cell begs to disagree. And for once even the anime looked great (some parts at least)

Human Institute Director

Human Institute Director Tactical Espionage Education

kiwifarms.is
  3. I am getting really burned out from the monster girl genre (if you can call it a genre), because it’s fucking everywhere.

Also, I really hate Maid Dragon and don’t care what anyone else has to say- it’s another one of those series that will be forgotten about within half a decade, and for good reason. It was partially ruined by Spergs quoting the show, but I’m also put off by the art style as well.

Oh and fuck RE:Zero while we’re at it too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Venus

Venus Local trap

kiwifarms.is
  4. Most comedy anime is trash. It's either:

-overly-repetitive
    -unfunny random-access humor
    -reference humor (I clapped when I saw it!)
    -in the cases of "self-aware" light novel adaptations, the self-awareness only goes as far as pointing out something is cliche, but still using the cliche unironically.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    #1044 Kinkshamer, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Kinkshamer

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  5. I still wish they had gotten him back for the dub of GT. Mark Menza's soundtrack choice of the same DUGGA DUGGA DUH guitar riff every five seconds with ambient string plucks was flat out terrible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Coster

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  6. I’d take Bio Broly over GT thank you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Vex Overmind

Vex Overmind I killed XXXTentacion

kiwifarms.is
  7. What's good about the both of them is that they both end, but this means different things. GT, of all four DB anime, has probably the best ending episode/scene that ends on a legitimately heartwarming note. That final "until we meet again guys" as Goku zooms off with the Nimbus consistently sends chills down my spine. Despite my criticism of Menza, his music actually worked really well for this. To GT's credit it actually attempts something unique even if it doesn't quite get it. Bio-Broly is the unoriginal result of Takao Koyama, the screenwriter for the Z movies, being unable to think of a more imposing villain than him. This isn't speculation, he actually said that's why he wrote three Broly movies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Coster

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  8. Hell why was that movie created I'm the first place? The only remarkably decent one I can think of is Fusion Reborn: Janemba was an actually cool villain with very creative abilities.

Vex Overmind

Vex Overmind I killed XXXTentacion

kiwifarms.is
  9. and if that wasn't bad enough every episode opened with this gem

Oh let's not forget this ad taking shots at the fansub watchers

• Winner Winner x 2
    SuicideIsPainless

kiwifarms.is
  10. Classic!

kiwifarms.is
  11. All of a sudden, this video makes so much sense to me.

• Like Like x 2
    Kari Kamiya

Kari Kamiya Herding the nigger cattle in loving memory.

kiwifarms.is
  12. It was bad yes, but more entertaining than any of their more serious dubs that came out later, though given that I watched the show on and off I'm sure the voice acting would get old.

How exactly did Bruce treat the crew? I only know of his music, which never really fit the goofier atmosphere of DBZ between fights.

I will say that even now Funimation has no clue what the hell they're doing:
    [​IMG]

Man, they really hate fansubs dont they? I remember Funimation going bonkers at One Piece fan subs and I'm sure they've done it with others too. Thats what turned me off them, they pretend to be anime fans, but in the end they're business sharks, arguably worse than 4Kids.

kiwifarms.is
  13. I've tried my best to get into anime, but I can't stand most of it. To me, the banality, fan-service, and strange products of cultural difference seem to make the medium very difficult for me to enjoy or access. The only exception to this has been Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and I think I've only come to love that series because it seems to go out of its way to be as 'western' in tone and sensibilities as is possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kinglordsupreme19

kinglordsupreme19 Diurnal Dominance Dispenser

kiwifarms.is
  14. It was way more of a collaborative effort with his team than he let's on. A lot of tracks Scott Morgan and Mike Smith wrote and composed weren't credited towards them in his releases of the soundtrack.

Capture.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
    SuicideIsPainless

kiwifarms.is
  15. Do you know how common things like this are in the music score industry?

Steamboat_Bill

Steamboat_Bill Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee

kiwifarms.is
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    kiwifarms.is
  16. Exactly like that. Hell nobody knew Ron Wasserman did the music for the first 2 seasons of DBZ until 2014. Signing over the rights I get, but I don't think at the very least getting proper recognition for their work is too much to ask.

That's really why Scott Morgan is so outspoken is because Faulconer continues to not mention his team even in more recent interviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    SuicideIsPainless

kiwifarms.is
  17. Side question, but have you seen any of Funimation's other dubs? If so, what's your opinion on them?

Both the dubs and company in general. because I don't have too high praise of them. Especially with their "Simulcast" decision as of late.

Jewelsmakerguy

Jewelsmakerguy (Cheesy 80s music intensifies)

kiwifarms.is
  18. I like pretty much all of the ones I've watched in full. But I haven't watched any of their most recent simulcast dubs so I don't have much of an opinion of them. All I know is about the gamergate line in prison school, and the muh patriarchy jokes in Dragon maid which caused a massive shitstorm. I can't say I really cared that much since I didn't have much interest in either of those shows, but it was still a pretty dumb decision to insert that shit into their dubs.

I'm keeping up with Dragonball Super's dub and I like it so far. Good balance of faithfulness and localization without going too overboard with it. Uhhh Overlord season 1 was really good especially Momonga's VA, so was Michiko and Hatchin, and I liked what I've seen of Attack on Titan from the few episode I watched on Toonami. Yeah not much else to say other than I think their other ones from my childhood still hold up like Yu Yu Hakusho(which had a great bluray release), and FMA 2003 pretty well. Outside some rereleases their current catalog doesn't interest me that much and their streaming service has a lot to be desired but their dvds/BDs are pretty reasonably priced and competently made for the most part.

For whatever reason DBZ can't get that same treatment. Cropped picture with over-saturated DNR'd footage just sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    SuicideIsPainless

kiwifarms.is
  19. Not all sets look like that, that's just the Remastered Funi sets. The Dragon Box is the better release, just expensive as hell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Coster

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.