Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
What are you talking about? Twilight Princess was the only game that leaned a bit too heavily into this, and is in fact that only Zelda game that made a hero related to the OoT Link (and, iirc, the only one that explicitly has two Links be related at all). Unless you're saying that any over the shoulder semi-linear Zelda game is just a complete rip-off of OoT, the games in this style all played decently different and had fairly unique mechanics in their dungeons. Especially Wind Waker. I get that OoT is overrated, but just as grating is people incorrectly thinking that every game that Nintendo put out after OoT is just an unoriginal clone, because that wouldn't bode well for the trends that BotW was chasing after. You sound like you have the opposite problem of buying into the hurr durr Zelda needs to be designed exactly like Zelda 1 because that game was completely open (it wasn't, you did have to play certain dungeons in order) train of thought.
Wind Waker had traditions and references by characters on how like\unlike WW Link was to the HoT, even the villagers of that era waited around for him to come back instead of someone new taking initiative to fight Ganon; all of the stuff with TP, the heavy resemblance of Demise to Ganondorf in SS, the centering of a whole timeline and it's branches around the events of Ocarina and it's time traveling rather then any other game that includes it. Even the devs stated in an interview around the time BOTW came out that it had to move on from Ocarina, so it wasn't just a bunch of games that chanced to have some of its tropes, they were actively still trying to emulate it until that time.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

80's-90's vidya music copies chord progressions, melodies and even entire solos.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Part of it might have had to do with the N64's stiff analog stick. That damn stick is bad. I have to push so much force into it just to make the character run at full speed.

I personally like Ocarina, I feel as though it isn't terribly hindered by the analog stick (Majora on the other hand gets hit pretty bad).
I definitely think that was a part of it, since I played it on Wii VC and found it much easier to play. Unfortunately, by then, what made the game unique wasn't quite as unique anymore, so it wasn't quite the same.

I think another factor might be age. I was well out of high school when OoT came out, so it was a very, very different sort of controller than what I was used to growing up. It worked for SM64, since the controller was practically designed for the game, but I had trouble with a few other games on N64 because the controls just didn't feel natural to me. I imagine people on here in their late 20's/early 30's who grew up with N64 games probably don't have that experience.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I definitely think that was a part of it, since I played it on Wii VC and found it much easier to play. Unfortunately, by then, what made the game unique wasn't quite as unique anymore, so it wasn't quite the same.

I think another factor might be age. I was well out of high school when OoT came out, so it was a very, very different sort of controller than what I was used to growing up. It worked for SM64, since the controller was practically designed for the game, but I had trouble with a few other games on N64 because the controls just didn't feel natural to me. I imagine people on here in their late 20's/early 30's who grew up with N64 games probably don't have that experience.
I'm a bit weird because I bought my N64 in the early 2010s and I bought an Ocarina cartridge sometime in high school and I find myself enjoying it the most that way. I've played it on VC (which was my first experience with it) and on 3DS, but honestly I kinda prefer it on original hardware, despite my dislike of the N64's analog stick.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm the kind of guy who has a higher tolerance for that kind of thing despite barely being alive when the N64 was still being used.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wind Waker had traditions and references by characters on how like\unlike WW Link was to the HoT, even the villagers of that era waited around for him to come back instead of someone new taking initiative to fight Ganon; all of the stuff with TP, the heavy resemblance of Demise to Ganondorf in SS, the centering of a whole timeline and it's branches around the events of Ocarina and it's time traveling rather then any other game that includes it.
None of that is what I'd call an absurd amount of references to OoT (outside of TP, but even that game wasn't too bad; it had fairly unique ideas too), Wind Waker ends up being a completely different type of story compared to OoT. By your very same logic, BotW is the ultimate hack game because it has an absurd amount of costume references, map references, etc, and almost none of it is fitted into the story as a serious addition like the games you mentioned. More importantly, you yourself said the timeline was an afterthought. You can't blame those games for the timeline because they came out as singular games that had nothing to do with the Hyrule Historia timeline.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wind Waker ends up being a completely different type of story compared to OoT.
That's why I loved Wind Waker, its story ended up feeling like a complete anti-OoT. So many iconic things about the franchise, like Hyrule and the Triforce, are just fucking gone. Even Ganondorf is killed off for good.

The Great Sea still kinda blows though lol

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I actually like the Voltorb Flip games that replace the slot machines in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Slots are fun, but once I learned the trick to Voltorb Flip, I could consistently get the last stages to get the coins I needed and enjoyed it more than the slots. But I'm also more fond of puzzles so there's that.

• Feels
Reactions: Violence Jack

The Last Stand

We're back! Did you miss us?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
3. I think games that are single-player only or offline only should become obsolete. You can always get more out of a game playing online with others or multiplayer with others locally. I think there should always be a communal element to video games. i don't mean to say that there can't EVER be any single player modes and offline modes, just that they should always come packaged with other options too.
I actually prefer the option of having a single player only game or a multiplayer only game. Most multiplayer centric games nowadays try to shoehorn in a "single player" which is mainly killing bots in multiplayer maps and boom done.

Around the seventh gen, most AAA games would have both single and multiplayer experiences that felt like a complete package. Now, it seems like one is more favored than the other and it feels like how much of your money is being used with buying the game.

Unfortunately, online multiplayer is ripe with monetization and "live services" where you can't even play online without a "social aspect" being shoved in to try to incentive you to buy more stuff.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's funny that when people start talking about 3D Mario games they always say 64, odyssey, galaxy and even sunshine. But everyone ignores the piece of shit that's 3D World.

Fantastic graphics and soundtrack though. It's a shame when only the captain toad levels are good, so much that even Nintendo acknowledged it and released a solo game inspired by it.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
It's funny that when people start talking about 3D Mario games they always say 64, odyssey, galaxy and even sunshine. But everyone ignores the piece of shit that's 3D World.

Fantastic graphics and soundtrack though. It's a shame when only the captain toad levels are good, so much that even Nintendo acknowledged it and released a solo game inspired by it.
Honestly I liked 3D World, mostly because it was the 3D Mario game I always wanted as a kid, one that was basically a 2D Mario game but in 3D.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
One thing I
Borderlands 3 has amazing gameplay. But the story is shit and the story characters are also shit.
I'd say my favorite thing about Borderlands is the setting. I love the mix of mega corporations running everything and rednecks in space. I liked the idea that bandits were just prison labor that got cut lose when the corporation pulled out because profits ran dry and they just went insane and terrorized the other colonists and set up Pandora as the backwater hell hole it is. I liked how the first game set up most of the area as being what the corporations left behind with landfills and abandoned infrastructure everywhere. There was something about how desolate it was that really applied to me. The sequels kind of diminished some of that though.

The Last Stand

We're back! Did you miss us?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The PlayStation 2 was a good console, but overrated in perspective. Never mind the surplus of shovelware, or weak hardware compared to its competition. But with the fat PS2 often having disc read errors.

It should have been more widespread than the Xbox 360's circular disc scratches, considering the PS2's popularity.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
My favorite genre of games are SP action games like God of War and Darksiders. A lot of the time, I prefer a fun ten hour campaign over something that requires a couple hundred hours to get everything out of. RDR2 is an awesome game, but I would want to take a couple of days worth of vacation pay so I can truly dive into that monster again.

Tism the Return

tfw you understand all the Rick and Morty jokes
kiwifarms.net
Castlevania is fucking boring, like really boring. All those games have going for themselves is good music and controlling nicely, which is less of a positive and more of a basic quality-of-life feature.

• Feels
Reactions: Mexican_Wizard_711

RLS0812

Just A Fox
kiwifarms.net
Zelda games are very repetitive now-a-days .
Collect the magical do-dads by doing a ton of fetch quests and platform jumping ... talk to the magical people ... do more fetch quests and jumping ... fight the big bad guy ( not Ganondorf usually ), do more fetch quests, round 2 of fighting big bad guy ( Ganondorf level 1 usually ) ... run around some more ... temporary kill the big bad guy ( Ganondorf usually ) ... win game.

I would like to see a main-line Zelda game were Link just does normal elf stuff instead of saving the world from impending doom.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino