Victor Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, et al. (2019) - Vic's lawsuit against Funimation, VAs, and others, for over a million dollars.

Kendrick

Do not believe anything I say.
kiwifarms.net
You're crazy. It's just a random fee. Small crap like this gets missed all the time, and the courts seem to file "Ok you did the thing" notices a few days late anyway. If they wanted to throw the case without getting sued for incompetence, there are better ways than a blatantly obvious "refusal" to pay $10.

Having said that, sometimes stupid people really are that stupid, and I will laugh for days if they ignore this to the point where it screws up their appeals.
At this point I expect lemon to have in his contract "All fees from the court for filing will have to be paid by you", and they're waiting on MoRon to pay up that 10$.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Surely no lawfirm on the planet could be this incompetent.
:optimistic: :optimistic: :optimistic:

Have you even watched these morons in action?

Wouldn't this open them up to getting sued by their own clients, though?
Actionable legal malpractice requires two things, which are a failure to live up to an objectively reasonable professional standard in the practice of law (which failing to pay a filing fee after being specifically ordered to do would qualify as) and prejudice to the client or someone they owe a duty of care to.

Since nothing is likely to happen as a result of this, except maybe another bill, it wouldn't be actionable.

Even if they didn't pay it after the tickler letter, and we don't know that.

LuNaS

kiwifarms.net
Don’t be surprised if there’s yet another extension.
Honestly I think it depends of each individual firm, MoRons would look a bit bad asking for another extension after the last one and the leniency with the payments not being on time, so of course they are going to ask for another extension.

Marchi's lawyer might ask for it if his strategy depends of the other defendants.

Funimation could ask for another extension but honestly it wouldn't help them much, because they don't have good foundations for their response so stretching things out would only be useful for patting the bills.

I could see them using the CoVid as an excuse for an extension but somehow saying "I was too busy being home not doing anything to sit at home and write a document" seems like a very flimsy justification.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I think it depends of each individual firm, MoRons would look a bit bad asking for another extension after the last one and the leniency with the payments not being on time, so of course they are going to ask for another extension.

Marchi's lawyer might ask for it if his strategy depends of the other defendants.

Funimation could ask for another extension but honestly it wouldn't help them much, because they don't have good foundations for their response so stretching things out would only be useful for patting the bills.

I could see them using the CoVid as an excuse for an extension but somehow saying "I was too busy being home not doing anything to sit at home and write a document" seems like a very flimsy justification.
We'll find out next week.

• Agree
Reactions: 774, Riku and LuNaS

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

They don't really need an elaborate justification to ask for an extension, even an additional extension, especially if the other side doesn't oppose it. Just a reference to the complexity of the case, logistical issues, and other boilerplate shit will do. The Wu flu may not specifically make filing a brief more difficult but it certainly is an embuggerance for all other aspects of legal practice and they'll be sympathetic. I won't be surprised either way.

At least with Wick Phillips they may not be particularly motivated to be energetic if they aren't being paid.

Tags
None