Victor Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, et al. (2019) - Vic's lawsuit against Funimation, VAs, and others, for over a million dollars.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Tomorrow is Thursday and it's the final day of the courts totally not a rule but is a rule deadline. Bust out the ouji boards and 8 balls.
I'd say that would mean either tomorrow or the week after but if it's neither, then it could be any time really. I believe the half-assed survey of some recent decisions from the court didn't really show a strict adherence to the "rule," with some rulings coming in over a year after submission.

blackbat4

Tard Wrangler
kiwifarms.net
If this gets reversed, I'm curious how Ron will react. Before the appeal ruling he was always able to say "I can call him a sexual predator, it's free speech! Why do you think my TCPA passed?!"

Will he keep making the statements, despite loosing the TCPA, surely he's not THAT dumb..

If this puppy gets reversed, it's pretty much confirmed that this type of statement is not protected by the TCPA, and it's up to the trial court to confirm if the statement has merit, or if the statement is defamatory.

If it passes the trial court, could Vic go after the likes of Lauren Cooper and Marzgurl? Or would they be protected because they were just parroting what they heard?

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If this gets reversed, I'm curious how Ron will react. Before the appeal ruling he was always able to say "I can call him a sexual predator, it's free speech! Why do you think my TCPA passed?!"
One of the possible weird outcomes is if it's reversed but Vic has to prove his case to the actual malice standard, Monica is brought back in because if her statement was false, she had to have known it to be false, but Ron gets out because he can claim he actually believed what he said because of what he was told.

If so, Ron would have completely fucked over his "fiancee" because the case was largely brought not because of the initial accusation but Ron's own frenzied activities. Or he could get off on defamation but be on the hook for tortious interference.

Divine right to rule

Per asperga ad astra
kiwifarms.net

Will he keep making the statements, despite loosing the TCPA, surely he's not THAT dumb..

If this puppy gets reversed, it's pretty much confirmed that this type of statement is not protected by the TCPA, and it's up to the trial court to confirm if the statement has merit, or if the statement is defamatory.

If it passes the trial court, could Vic go after the likes of Lauren Cooper and Marzgurl? Or would they be protected because they were just parroting what they heard?
Ron doesn't even seem to realize WHY he won the suit. He constantly behaved like they won on their facts and evidence, and because they spoke the "truth".
He has so little grasp of the legal process he went through, that he numerously showed Nick filings of his lawyer, or from Funimation's lawyer as gotchas, behaving like they were findings of facts from the court.
He doesn't even understand the bad arguments that lawtwitter makes, and constantly comes up with his own retarded theories.
Ron is a complete idiot.

Terrifik

kiwifarms.net
1624506784172.png

1624506816353.png

Guess we find out tommorow if SOP is pushed back because Covid trumps any law. The SOP might go into effect this December.:cunningpepe:

Last edited by a moderator:

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Ron is way to narcissistic for suicide. My money is on him waiting until Ty, Vic and Nick are in the same venue, and then he will try to kill them.
Fortunately he is a retard, so it will most likely be suicide by cop in the end.
Nah, Twitter and his thread suggests that Ron wants to fight Nick now and meet him in Knoxville for an MMA fight or whatever. Even if he'll probably fail the blood test and be confirmed as HIV-positive. But maybe paying a lawyer with his super insurance will make that issue go away, who knows.

私は誰?
kiwifarms.net
If this were a regular case, with pretty much just sane filings, there would be a reasonable chance. With some of the filings being bloated dumpster fires, however, it may not be as easy. So yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Yang avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
There is a lot to wade through here. Along with one deeper underlying legal issue? If TCPA applies in this case, then what doesn't it apply too? And has it effectively removed all defamation laws in Texas?
The TCPA and related processes in other states/federally aren't supposed to let off people who have done actual defamation, particularly where damages are involved. By accepting the TCPA motion, Judge Chupp was basically saying there's no prima facie case that Mignogna had suffered any damages from the defendants' actions. Beard and his firm's motion for appeal is trying to show that there were in fact damages in the form of him being dropped from cons and replaced as a voice actor for his characters, and thus it was improper to throw the case out before it started. They just need to prove it at a prima facie, or superficial, level; evidence that proves it can be shown at the full trial.

The TCPA and related are supposed to protect people who have not defamed people and/or haven't done any damage to them. So if I call you a rapist, I'm probably defaming you, but unless you can prove that I've actually done some sort of damage to you with these words I could probably get away with it. Thus, busy courts are theoretically spared from having to bother with that case. Of course, different states have different specifics.