World Volkswagen to end production of the Beetle in 2019 - Should call it the Rolling Stone at this point, it's come back that often

• The Kiwi Farms is running a Fediverse Node, which is like Twitter but decentralized between many individual providers, similar to email. Feel free to sign up and follow me. There are many more services we federate with, and you will see all that content with one account. (Feedback thread.)

Maintenance is concluded.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45516677

Volkswagen is ending production of its Beetle in 2019, closing the door on one of the world's most iconic car designs.

The German company said output would end at its plant in Mexico next July after production of celebration models.

The Beetle has its roots in Nazi Germany with the creation of a "people's car", but went on to star in a series of successful Disney films as a vehicle called Herbie.

But sales, particularly in the key US market, have fallen in recent years.

Consumers in the US have increasingly turned to larger cars such as crossovers and sports utility vehicles.

Volkswagen, in the wake of the diesel emissions scandal and huge investment in electric vehicles, says it will look to slim down its model range with a greater focus on family and electric cars.

The company say the final Beetle models will be available in both coupe and convertible styles.

Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe iconic design found fame in the 1960s as Herbie in The Love Bug - a character revived in 2005
"The loss of the Beetle after three generations, over nearly seven decades, will evoke a host of emotions from the Beetle's many devoted fans," said Hinrich Woebcken, chief executive of Volkswagen Group of America.

The Beetle was originally designed in the 1930s by legendary engineer Ferdinand Porsche - a name now synonymous with fast cars - at the behest of Adolf Hitler, who wanted to see a cheap and practical mass-produced car made available to the German people.

But the outbreak of war would stall its production, as military necessity took precedence.

The plant would be severely damaged, then fell into the hands of allied forces - who were eventually to play a large part in its recommissioning.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionIt was intended as a family saloon for the average German worker
Production began to take off in the late 1940s, and by 1955 a million of the cars were driving on German roads.

The design would find international fame in the 1960s and '70s in films featuring Herbie the Love Bug, a racing car with a mind of its own.

It was also popular with the 1960s counter-culture, who extolled the Beetle's small, practical, but aesthetic qualities.

Production of the Beetle has ceased, and then been revived, several times over the decades.

The "New Beetle" redesign of the 1990s stormed the US market, selling more than 80,000 in 1999.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionIn recent years its production moved away from Europe to Mexico, closer to its key US market
The company is already thought to have reviewed a possible model revamp and options for electric versions in recent years, before deciding on its abandonment.

But Mr Woebcken didn't completely rule out that the model could one day be resurrected: "Never say never."

Volkswagen sold 11,151 Beetles during the first eight months of 2018, down 2.2% from the same period a year earlier.

US consumers looking for a small Volkswagen vehicle overwhelmingly prefer the Jetta sedan, or the Tiguan compact sport utility vehicle.
Shitty cars anyway tbh.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
This makes me upset. I've always hoped that even with safe spaces being enforced on us that as an old granny I'd still be able to see kids play "Slug Bug" in the backseat. This better not be the end of the Beetle for good.

Also I kinda always envisioned myself driving a pink Beetle. I dunno, guess it's the kind of car that "speaks" to me.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This makes me upset. I've always hoped that even with safe spaces being enforced on us that as an old granny I'd still be able to see kids play "Slug Bug" in the backseat. This better not be the end of the Beetle for good.

Also I kinda always envisioned myself driving a pink Beetle. I dunno, guess it's the kind of car that "speaks" to me.
Just have to play 'Mini Punch' instead...

• Feels
Reactions: The Last Stand

Derp Potato

Just a Spud doing spud things
kiwifarms.net
Maybe they can finally focus on developing a newer engine than a 2.0 rehash that I believe was only a rehash of the 1.8?

Are they still having constant problems with the 2.0T? I've never paid too much attention in to VW; much bigger fan of Porsche and Audi wagons.

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Last Stand

The Dilettante
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Awww, I love the design of the car. It looks cute. At least my friends have a rare breed of car. Bless them.

• Agree
Reactions: Lunachu

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's more or less because besides VW's reputation taking a hit from emission scandals and shit reliability before that, the major markets are turning towards SUVs/crossovers. New SUV sales are up again like it's the early 2000s/late 90s and the MPG ratings are better than they used to be. Used cars are crazy cheap right now, while even older SUVs hold their value. In America, people also tend to buy pickups with cabs so big they have the seating space of a passenger car. Ford and FCA are halting car sales that aren't sports cars, while GM is trimming down car production. Even luxury sports car brands are building SUVs, like Porsche, Lamborghini, and even Ferrari.

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
Yeah it's as much of a Beetle as the Jetta was a Jetta after the 1990's. Volkswagen is dollar store sweatshop toy tier garbage now.
It's typical retro revivalism, selling a perversion of something famously popular for being cheap but reliable for multiple times the price. BMW's Mini Hatch is the same, and they even experimented with some mutant variants a couple years back.

• Agree
Reactions: CWCissey

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
I don't see how this is a big deal. Car companies retire models all the time. The 1st gen beetle was iconic, they used that to hype the 2nd gen at the turn of the millennium, but I don't even remember hearing about the 3rd gen until I started seeing them on the road one day.

You want a compact? Buy a corolla. No big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: Marvin
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino