Weeb Wars / Animegate / #kickvic / #vickicksback - General Discussion Thread

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Isn't it 'Yan-kee'? Delinquents who idolize thuggish behehavior in America? There's a specific term for him, though, as it sounds like he's just a gun otaku. Can't remember the name, but they have one for it. It amounts to something like 'gun weirdo'.
He's definitely more of a gun otaku than anything; he has a collection of replica guns and empty magazines. But he also has a lot of interest in American films, particularly from the 70's and early 80's. And he was pretty obsessive about recreating Chicago accurately, even though I don't think he'd ever actually been there when he created Riding Bean or Gunsmith Cats. I dunno, I always felt like he was fond of America in general, though that might just have been the fact that we can own guns.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
That said, I suppose I'm rather longwinded on this in particular because it's difficult for me to grasp that even outside these named players, there are potentially many people like them that are so childishly malicious that they'd go out of their way to not do their job and spread disgustingly false rumors about people they don't even know... and they managed to cause something of community-wide note instead of just being immediately defenestrated as society intended.
It's a way to goldbrick and dodge responsibility. Form your little clique and feed it resentment and rumors. Then, when you get called out on your bullshit, rally the troops to defend your honor. A safe-space work story as old as time.

Probably a reason all these "highly-qualified" people are available to spend all this time volunteering at cons. They can't hold a day job. Something a few cons have learned the hard way.

Dopey Cunt

Let Flygons be Flygons.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oi, I'm a verbose person...

That said, I suppose I'm rather longwinded on this in particular because it's difficult for me to grasp that even outside these named players, there are potentially many people like them that are so childishly malicious that they'd go out of their way to not do their job and spread disgustingly false rumors about people they don't even know... and they managed to cause something of community-wide note instead of just being immediately defenestrated as society intended.

It's one thing to behold particular people in this and look at how ridiculous they are. It's another to face the possibility that this childishness not only is a systemic issue in the anime con circuit and anime industry as a whole, but that it plagues the adult segments of the community and snowballs into heinous situations like Weeb Wars.

It's one thing to say that Jennifer Lynn Hunt more than likely has BPD, or that Rial and Edwards are lying idiots, or that McConnell is... also a lying idiot, and I'm still coming to terms with disparate parties willing to lie with each other (like McConnell, who more than likely had no ties with Rial and company prior to WW). That there are plenty of people like them running around in cons, as any level of management? That's something new to chew on... and it's borderline incomprehensible.

you got at least a hundred billion of those, and you lose about 33 times that much in skin cells when you drag your finger across your arm for a bit :P
Clearly.
It's as @MagicalHopStep said before, the problem was with the fact that they were surrounded by people who encouraged and enabled their behavior instead of having people with some fucking integrity about them. Everyone wanted to be in on the cliques and friendcircles to the point where they allowed and helped facilitate corruption and reprehensible behavior. They've been doing it behind the scene for so long, that it got this bad and now we're essentially having GamerGate 2.0 over here. Even after Vic wins his lawsuit, there's clearly a fuck ton of corruption and collusion going on in the VA dubbing and convention scene and I won't be surprised if people start looking into things further and rooting out exactly how bad this cancer tumor goes.
And hey...a few thousand is still a few thousand too many.

Zero Day Defense

(Get crazy with the Cheez Whiz!)
kiwifarms.net
May be late to this, but it seems like Funi may be using a song Vic created. If this is done without his permission isn't that a licensing/intellectual property breech?
My understanding is that they're using a cover made by Vic. Presumably, they were authorized to make that cover in the first place. So, he wouldn't be able to litigate over it.

Genkoda

A fluorescent African American government worker
kiwifarms.net
May be late to this, but it seems like Funi may be using a song Vic created. If this is done without his permission isn't that a licensing/intellectual property breech?
That honestly depends. You have the song in question?

Dopey Cunt

Let Flygons be Flygons.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It could be that Vic may have signed something giving all rights to the song to Funi so they are able to use it without any problems but yes, folks are aware that his song is being used. We just don't know to what end or why they would use his song after the horrible and blatantly malicious treatment they gave him.

Third Eye Upward

kiwifarms.net
So do we have anyone else with an interesting con story that they'd like to share? Doesn't have to be the Pulitzer prize winning material @EriMin is giving us, heck you don't even have to had worked at the con an attendee story is just as good. I've already shared a few if mine throughout the thread, and so far this has been a riot.
Hey guys, new here. first post, probably last. Hope I'm doing this right. Just wanted to chime in, as a lurker, and say thank you to the community here. As a fan and supporter of Vic, I've been following this thread, and Its been amazing. I'd like to share a Vic story.

Anime Central 2018 (Anime convention in Chicago)

My daughter and I where blessed with the opportunity to attend this convention, we had a great time. Vic's Panel was one of our highlights. Vic was down to earth. Rather than sit on stage as the other voice actors do, he came down and took the time to wire mic cords together to give himself enough length to be able to walk around the room. He was one of us, he was our friend, he was the "life of the party" guy that drew everyone's attention for the time that flew by.

After the Questions and Answers, characters voices, anecdotes, he handed out some merch, and ended on a slightly more serious, but honest attempt at real impact in an observation of modern negativity and our ability to be positive and loving in spite of it.

Also, He wore some pretty cool pants that day :)

Jub-Jub

kiwifarms.net
I will begin to doubt all I have heard about Japanese corporations supposedly being extremely concerned with losing face and honor if they are not deeply offended by this very American and very public degradation of their properties.
Everything is just speculation at this point, but people saying that Toei isn't paying attention have forgotten the KC shenanigans (Jap VA was pulled and Sabat told to get fucked). So far i think almost everybody is getting fired, with Sabat and Schemmel holding on buy a thread, due to being the main DB voices. If either is in Round 2 then they are gone too and Funi is likely merged with the other studio Sony owns.
...is Toole comparing the Target Parking Lot to a fucking Mariott owned hotel in the centre of NYC?
I think the date is before the Mariott was named and the only info was times square.
Probably not if he has the same contract as the defendants have provided. All materials made for Funi by the employed are Funi's property.

Reactions: ConSluttant

Dopey Cunt

Let Flygons be Flygons.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey guys, new here. first post, probably last. Hope I'm doing this right. Just wanted to chime in, as a lurker, and say thank you to the community here. As a fan and supporter of Vic, I've been following this thread, and Its been amazing. I'd like to share a Vic story.

My daughter and I where blessed with the opportunity to attend this convention, we had a great time. Vic's Panel was one of our highlights. Vic was down to earth. Rather than sit on stage as the other voice actors do, he came down and took the time to wire mic cords together to give himself enough length to be able to walk around the room. He was one of us, he was our friend, he was the "life of the party" guy that drew everyone's attention for the time that flew by.

After the Questions and Answers, characters voices, anecdotes, he handed out some merch, and ended on a slightly more serious, but honest attempt at real impact in an observation of modern negativity and our ability to be positive and loving in spite of it.

Also, He wore some pretty cool pants that day :)
Welcome, welcome. I do hope you enjoy your stay. That was a wonderful story.
It's also a testament to all the other stories people who have had actual encounters and dealings with Vic tell in which he was nothing but kind, supportive and lively. People love him because he makes painstaking efforts to connect and be there for his fans and for any one else really, regardless if they are his fans or not. He has a lot of charisma and is able to win the hearts of many. Even now after he is going through all this, though his doesn't say much besides to spread peace and love, people all over the world rally to his side in support of him.

Bessie

can't shake the other head
kiwifarms.net
Is this the same one?
Description box said:
Vic's Q&A Panel on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at Anime Central. Unfortunately some parts of the panel were cut due to size constraints or batteries, or in my case, phone calls and texts because I was using my phone to record.
Edit: Also, thank you for signing up and sharing that. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
it's the DBZ Kai opening. I think.
"When Dragon Ball Kai was licensed in North America in 2010 as Dragon Ball Z Kai, Funimation recorded "Dragon Soul" in English, with lyrics written by Brina Palencia. The uncut DVD/Blu-ray Disc volumes feature a different singer for each release. Part 1 is sung by Sean Schemmel, who also does the voice of Goku and King Kai. Part 2 is sung by Justin Cook, who also does the voice of Raditz. Part 3 is sung by Vic Mignogna, who also does the voices of Broly and Burter, his version was also used for the Nicktoons and The CW airings of the show. Part 4 is sung by Greg Ayres, who also did the voice of Guldo in Dragon Ball Z Kai. Part 5 is sung by Sonny Strait, who is also the voice of Krillin. Part 6 is sung by Brina Palencia herself, who also does the voice of Chiaotzu and Puar. Part 7 is sung in a trio by Sean Schemmel, Justin Cook, and Greg Ayres. Part 8 is also sung in a trio by Vic Mignogna, Sonny Strait, and Brina Palencia."