Weight loss support thread -

clusterfuckk

My soul was empty...so I ate 2 ramens.
kiwifarms.net
Talk to me about your protein intake. Also when you say your knees are fucked and you are old are we talking 55+ and have you seen anyone about your knees?
I don’t measure protein per se; I just make sure I have one source of protein with each meal. I am 40 and my knees can’t handle the impact of running. I have arthritis in the knees

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
I don’t measure protein per se; I just make sure I have one source of protein with each meal. I am 40 and my knees can’t handle the impact of running. I have arthritis in the knees
Grab Loseit on your phone. It is a pretty unobtrusive app and it has pretty much all the foods nutritional info. No cost, not a lot of notifications, you can put exercise in and while it probably stalks you...what doesn't.

It is kind of important to know what you are eating daily.

40 isn't old...it is halfway to old.

RE: your knees is it diagnosed? Are you taking anything for it?

The reason I ask about your knees isn't a question of running it is more of expanding what you do in the gym. As HK said you can't target fat and compound movements can have greater benefits that isolating muscle groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: clusterfuckk

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Running and jogging is largely overrated for cardio, anyways. It's a pretty solid cardio, don't get me wrong, but it's not the be-all and end-all of cardio, and if you've got bum knees then it becomes essentially fucking worthless. If you clock in to the gym periodically and you're already a fan of arm exercises, check around to see if they have any battle ropes. Otherwise, there's plenty of other options. Swimming, biking, brisk walking, stair-climbing, etc. Cardio doesn't need to begin and end at jogging, but you can thank the 1980's for getting everyone obsessed with thinking it's the only/best available option.

Strawberry Pocky

That's how it is on this bitch of an earth
kiwifarms.net
I don’t measure protein per se; I just make sure I have one source of protein with each meal.
Hi hello. I missed your first post in the thread because I was already deep in conversation myself, but I REALLY wanted to make sure that I said congratulations on losing 90 god damn pounds.

One entire elbee more than 89! You've beaten a certain ~Queen of Moderation~ gorl raw and I'm sure her massive shelf ass is chapped and salty about it. Haha.
The 5-Bite diet is something I'm super familiar with too so big big fucking heaps of praise for soldiering through what I know is a brutal regimen. That takes serious willpower so way to go.

Protein is probably the most important Macronutrient out of the "Big 3" so you're already on the ball by making sure you have it at least once with every meal. If you aren't specifically measuring it out though, are you at least making sure it is the BIGGEST or most significant part of your dish?
Like, for example....if you are having fish, rice, and veggies for dinner. Half of your plate is tilapia/salmon/whatever, a third is veggies, and the rest is rice. I'm no badass expert, but its just what I've always been taught by the professionals and Nutritionists & Dietitians I've worked with.

(Real ones. Not...you know. Ones from Instagram. lol)

• Winner

clusterfuckk

kiwifarms.net
Thank you everyone.
I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my legs since I was 18. Mother has OA so doctor thinks I may end up being diagnosed as well but nothing yet thankfully.
I will check out the battle ropes suggestion. I have used the elliptical at times and the stationary bike.
I do make sure protein is the largest part of every meal.
Thanks again for all the advise/support!

FixinShibe

"If you don’t see it here, I didn’t say it." - OJ
kiwifarms.net
Put back that bottle of Dr Pepper Dark Berry, it's addicting and it will make you lose your commitment.

• Feels
Reactions: TerminalTryHard

Meat Poultry Veg

The staff of life
kiwifarms.net
My favorite "weight loss" plan is intermittent fasting because

1.) There are no restrictions on the types of food you can eat.
2.) It really helps train you to distinguish true hunger from the desire for mouth pleasure.

However I add the scare quotes because it's still possible to fuck up and gain a ton of weight doing IF (read all those Muslim forum posts complaining about gaining weight during Ramadan). What I find is that once I have made the discipline of restricting when I eat, I eventually "want" to give up junk food as well.

Strawberry Pocky

kiwifarms.net
It's still possible to fuck up and gain a ton of weight doing IF
Yeah dude, I'm glad you said this because I was going to point it out myself as well.
You say that with IF there aren't any restrictions with the types of food that you eat....? Well, sure. If you go ahead and decide for yourself "I'm going to eat literally anything that I want, as long as it is within this pre-set 8 hour window" then you are Intermittently Fasting. But you absolutely, can totally still gain weight - if you still eat more calories than you burn then it doesn't matter.

IF is great and has tons of health benefits and is a very useful tool, but that's all it is. It's a TOOL. The ultimate and ONLY factor as to your weight loss is going to be Calories-in-VS-Calories-out.....so if you overeat your calories and/or eat a shitheaping pile of junkfood garbage during your IF windows then you could easily gain.

Glad to hear that you know that it's not a magic wand and is still possible to fuck up. Increasing discipline and not wanting/craving junk food any more is awesome too.

Fatcat

fat cats are really nice cats
kiwifarms.net
I'd like to add that the IF is not just skipping breakfast it just reduces the eating window so you'll still need to eat the right amount of calories, I downloaded this app called Zero that keep track of your fasting and offers different type (24h, 16:8, custom etc) it's nice

• Informative
Reactions: Meat Poultry Veg

Strawberry Pocky

kiwifarms.net
In the last two weeks (basically from May 28th ish strait through until June 10th, today) something has erupted/snapped in my bullshit internal control center; I don't know if it's my gut or my brain but my binges that have always only ever been once-every-10/11-days breakdowns have been more frequent.

In the last two weeks I have binged TWICE per WEEK. Two times per week for two weeks.
I weighed myself this morning for the first time since this has happened and my weight rocketed up from 94 pounds to 102.5 pounds.

So now I'm in a state of mania...anger at myself and also confusion (how much of this weight gain is real weight gain, how much is bloating/water retention,/fluid/etc etc etc...how long until my weight will go back down to normal? What's happening to my body? All that typical ED/Ana-chan bullshit.

Sorry if this is shitting up the thread. Let me know what I can do to lose weight to get back down to 94 again, hopefully in the next few days or a week or so

It's HK-47

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We did that already and your response seems to have been binging twice as often. That's probably not going to help. Your weight can't go "back down to normal" anyways because it's already abnormal in the sense that it's much lower than it should be. Apart from a prolonged fast there's really not much that's going to instantly rip the weight back off in just a few days. You already have all the information you need, you just need to apply it, eat regularly, and stop binge-eating.

That's probably easier said than done for someone with an eating disorder, but there's no sense in pretending like there's some easy road just waiting to be discovered out there. The change has to come from you.

• Agree

Strawberry Pocky

kiwifarms.net
Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it.

I have some basic understanding of water retention and bloating being something that contributes to numbers on the scale going up so much higher in short periods of time, especially when binge eating is involved. I don't know if you have any knowledge about that?
I'm drinking hella black coffee and some just normal water, plus taking OTC potassium supplements since they are supposed to help flush out water and help against edema?
I dont know how much of my weight gain is TRUE/REAL weight or fat but obviously I'm hoping most of it is water, food waste and bloating. Any input would be very appreciated.

I'm going to just try my best to stay on my normal eating, activity, lifestyke regimen and see what my weight does...but ngl I'm hoping that "weight ripped eight off my body" as fast as fucking possible is exactly what happens

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Previously I've mentioned how I had started losing weight after getting a standing desk setup and stuff, then after dropping soy and corn I went from "oh hey you've been losing weight that's cool" to "I'm nicely trying to ask if you're dying". I've lately gotten a lot lazier about avoiding corn and soy and sure enough I've put on a bit around the stomach despite now biking a lot.

Strawberry Pocky

kiwifarms.net
Previously I've mentioned how I had started losing weight after getting a standing desk setup and stuff, then after dropping soy and corn I went from "oh hey you've been losing weight that's cool" to "I'm nicely trying to ask if you're dying". I've lately gotten a lot lazier about avoiding corn and soy and sure enough I've put on a bit around the stomach despite now biking a lot.
That's so interesting that simply avoiding (what you would think are only) small things like JUST soy would make such a big difference.
Is it especially hard? I'm not Vegetarian or Vegan and don't follow any kind of "special" diet at all....just restrict overall calories. But I'm toying with the idea of eliminating a couple of individual things in order to help general weight loss along, like processed/white carbs (chips, bread, rice, pasta, etc) and your success with ditching Soy is intriguing. But isn't there some kind of soy or processed or soy additive in a lot of stuff?

When you say you've stopped eating corn and soy, what exactly do you mean?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's so interesting that simply avoiding (what you would think are only) small things like JUST soy would make such a big difference.
Is it especially hard? I'm not Vegetarian or Vegan and don't follow any kind of "special" diet at all....just restrict overall calories. But I'm toying with the idea of eliminating a couple of individual things in order to help general weight loss along, like processed/white carbs (chips, bread, rice, pasta, etc) and your success with ditching Soy is intriguing. But isn't there some kind of soy or processed or soy additive in a lot of stuff?

When you say you've stopped eating corn and soy, what exactly do you mean?
Read your ingredient lists. No corn, no corn protein, no corn syrup, no corn sugar, no corn oil. No soy, no soy oil, no soy bean, no soy lecithin, no soy protein, and so forth. The functional end means I skip basically most frozen and premade foods because that shit is in like basically everything.

I have a doctor I work with who rants endlessly about corn and soy so I figured I'd try dropping them and it seemed to make a difference.
For all I know it's a coincidence from eliminating the prepackaged stuff and it's some preservatives in the packaging I'm skipping, but his rants were basically "corn fucks up your insulin and the way you process sugar" and "soy fucks with your hormones".

Soy and corn isn't really a small thing in modern USA food. It's crazy the amount of prepackaged shit that has it and corn thrown in for no good reason. Like most mayos and salad dressings are soybean oil guest-starring ingredients, it's fillers in frozen dinners, lots of stuff.

It's not like I suddenly became Paul Blart or something, but after a couple of months of random junk again I've gotten a bit of wobble on the middle.
I've also never tried incorporating just one of them back in, so it may be that soy or corn does it all and the other is a good boy who dindu nuffin, too.

Melkor

Kermit Suicide
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel like I'm utterly losing it because everywhere I go, it's either "just watch what you eat, exercise isn't mandatory" or "eat healthy AND exercise".

All I know is that there has to be a calorie deficit in order to lose weight and burn the stored fat on my body. r/fitness hasn't been much help either. :( I just feel stuck.

• Feels
Reactions: adorable bitch

clusterfuckk

kiwifarms.net
I feel like I'm utterly losing it because everywhere I go, it's either "just watch what you eat, exercise isn't mandatory" or "eat healthy AND exercise".

All I know is that there has to be a calorie deficit in order to lose weight and burn the stored fat on my body. r/fitness hasn't been much help either. :( I just feel stuck.
too be honest, in my experience; exercise is such a small part of actual fat loss. It is mostly to do with your diet.
At my heaviest I was unable to walk longer than 2 minutes (hello ALR). So I slowly worked my way up along with dieting. I still was not burning enough calories to make a difference if I kept eating the way I was previously. At most I would burn maybe 300 calories on a short walk.
So i think diet is 90% of it, and exercise should be incorporated to improve mobility and heart/lung function; but it is not 100% necessary to lose weight.
Once I lost 40 lbs with diet, I was physically able to exercise more. Sorry if this doesnt make sense.

It's HK-47

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's perfectly possible to loose weight purely by maintaining a calorie deficit, it's just that exercising--especially cardio--speeds up the process because the body's energy requirements go up in response to all the activity. Coupled with a calorie deficit, it means that the body still requires that new energy expenditure comes from somewhere, and if it can't get it through the food you're eating, it pulls it from available fat stores, instead. Say for example that you took three people who were exactly the same in every way, and every one of them did something different:

Person 1: Eats +500 Calories above their TDEE for one month.

Person 2: Eats -500 Calories below their TDEE for one month.

Person 3: Eats -500 Calories below their TDEE for one month, and power-walks for 30 minutes every morning.

The first person would gain weight, the second person would lose weight, and the third person would loose more weight than the second. Method 2 is still perfectly viable if you want to be lazy about losing weight, but not only does the third method speed things up, but you get all of the associated health benefits from routine exercise in the process.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino