Weight loss support thread -

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Such as, do you believe net carbs is a thing. Should one go off of carbs or net carbs? I just ignore net carbs and focus on the amount of carbs listed on the items. I try to keep it within 50-100 grams of carbs per day. With one cheat meal per week or I'll go insane with rage.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
Such as, do you believe net carbs is a thing. Should one go off of carbs or net carbs? I just ignore net carbs and focus on the amount of carbs listed on the items. I try to keep it within 50-100 grams of carbs per day. With one cheat meal per week or I'll go insane with rage.

100g is not low-carb. Net carbs are all that matters, because sugar alcohols are inefficiently catabolized and fiber isn't metabolized at all, and neither one ruins fat adaptation.

Gangster Talk

kiwifarms.net
What real difference is there between "low carb/high fat" and "high fat/low carb" if you're not trying to go into ketosis? After reading a bunch of bullshit websites and a scientific study determining weight loss was exactly the same regardless of low carb/high fat or the opposite, I'm wondering if it's worth sweating macros much at all as long as they're generally balanced, you're meeting your TDEE goals, and your protein is high enough if you're trying to do strength training as well.

One of these bullshit sites claims 20/40/40 is "Low Carb Moderate Fat", a diet with the "health benefits of low carb" intended for a "slower transition to keto". Then it claims that "25/40/35" is only intended for bodybuilding and could lead to weight gain if you're not lifting as well. Really, does a 5% increase in carbs and a 5% reduction in fat really fucking matter? What is that, a piece of toast instead of a side salad?

I've been doing 20% carbs, 40% protein, 40% fat to meet some arbitrary goal of around ~100 carbs and near bodyweight in protein. I've lost 40lbs and 3% bodyfat so far (took a good minute before BF% started dropping though) so I feel like it's working and I generally like what I'm eating, but I'm wondering if there would be any change if I swapped the fat % and the carb %.

Bleacher

kiwifarms.net
Should cardio be done before or after weight training? I've been doing cardio first but I feel like it isn't quite working. I am pretty new to all of this.

Dave Meltzer

kiwifarms.net
Should cardio be done before or after weight training? I've been doing cardio first but I feel like it isn't quite working. I am pretty new to all of this.
Afterwards. You burn more fat that way and it helps redistribute your blood which builds up in the muscles you just worked out. Plus you'll have more energy to put into weight training by doing it first.

Bleacher

kiwifarms.net
Afterwards. You burn more fat that way and it helps redistribute your blood which builds up in the muscles you just worked out. Plus you'll have more energy to put into weight training by doing it first.
Thanks friend, I was doing cardio first and wondering why my reps were so shit, big galaxy brain right here.

• Feels
Reactions: Local Fed

Angel Dust

Insidious Bitch Snake
kiwifarms.net
I apologise in advance if this goes a bit rambling. So currently I'm in the lower 160s, within 10lbs of what my doctor says would be an ideal weight and within 25 of my overall goal weight. This time last year i was around 230. My problem currently is i find myself hating my body more now than when i was much heavier. It's like I feel heavier now then i did last year. I see Chantal or amber in the mirror. I certainly hated my body when I was fat(ter) but it was more of a passive hate, and now it's more active. I feel like a blob in everything I wear and can't see any positive change even tho I know it's there. I have absolutely no desire to regain weight mind you, i just keep hoping the lower the scale goes the more I'll like what I see but that's just..........not happening. It's been bumming me out.

• Feels
Reactions: the sister fister

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I apologise in advance if this goes a bit rambling. So currently I'm in the lower 160s, within 10lbs of what my doctor says would be an ideal weight and within 25 of my overall goal weight. This time last year i was around 230. My problem currently is i find myself hating my body more now than when i was much heavier. It's like I feel heavier now then i did last year. I see Chantal or amber in the mirror. I certainly hated my body when I was fat(ter) but it was more of a passive hate, and now it's more active. I feel like a blob in everything I wear and can't see any positive change even tho I know it's there. I have absolutely no desire to regain weight mind you, i just keep hoping the lower the scale goes the more I'll like what I see but that's just..........not happening. It's been bumming me out.
Do you have stubborn body fat in spots that just won't go away? You can try a slimmer belt around that spot or even cool sculpting. I remember when I was at my lowest weight (165 lbs) I still had a little belly. The lowest I had ever weighed at my life, when I was starving myself when I was 16, was 155 lbs and there was still a gut.

Not everyone can look like a super model. Some of it is just genetics.

the sister fister

BRING ME THE GYPSY GIRL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am in the same boat too, I also see whale-sized like Amber and Chantal. Even if we don't like how we physically look, at least we know we're much, much physically healthier now compared to them.

• Feels
Reactions: Angel Dust

Slowboat to China

Drinking Toilet Duck
kiwifarms.net
Question for the health and fitness Kiwis, and my apologies if this gets a little powerlevel-y. I mentioned previously that I'm eating mostly protein-rich stuff these days--a lot of lean chicken and dairy. My calorie target is under 1800 per day, and I've been hitting that for over a month now ... albeit with one cheat day on the Fourth of July, because 'Murica, goddammit.

But I've noticed that some days I'm not really hungry at all. I'll have a turkey sandwich or something and then just have no appetite for the rest of the day. That ought to be a good thing, but it's a little alarming, because it's never happened to me before. I've clocked a few 400-calorie days and am starting to wonder if my blood sugar's going wonky. Is this worrisome? Should I be trying to eat more on days when I'm not hungry and at very low calories? Or is this just me being a recovering eatbeast and having a skewed sense of what's normal for actual human beings?

• Feels
Reactions: Fascist Ferret

SickNastyBastard

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Question for the health and fitness Kiwis, and my apologies if this gets a little powerlevel-y. I mentioned previously that I'm eating mostly protein-rich stuff these days--a lot of lean chicken and dairy. My calorie target is under 1800 per day, and I've been hitting that for over a month now ... albeit with one cheat day on the Fourth of July, because 'Murica, goddammit.

But I've noticed that some days I'm not really hungry at all. I'll have a turkey sandwich or something and then just have no appetite for the rest of the day. That ought to be a good thing, but it's a little alarming, because it's never happened to me before. I've clocked a few 400-calorie days and am starting to wonder if my blood sugar's going wonky. Is this worrisome? Should I be trying to eat more on days when I'm not hungry and at very low calories? Or is this just me being a recovering eatbeast and having a skewed sense of what's normal for actual human beings?
So to answer this better, I would need to know about your goal. From a pure weight loss standpoint, you're fine. Don't eat if you're not hungry and aren't having a problem with energy.

Reactions: Slowboat to China

Spl00gies

Leader of the Clit Stroking Society
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Body Dysmorphia is a thing, it's possible to get too obsessed and overly focused on weightloss and body image. If you're losing weight or not overweight, you shouldn't feel like a blob or see one in the mirror. If you're getting smaller but feeling/seeing bigger, this sounds disordered.

Be safe with your goals, kiwis and if it starts to negatively impact your life, don't be afraid to seek some support or advice from health professionals.

This is a generally wholesome thread and I really like to see kiwis reaching their fitness goals and sharing advice.

Keep it up guys.

Slowboat to China

Drinking Toilet Duck
kiwifarms.net
So to answer this better, I would need to know about your goal. From a pure weight loss standpoint, you're fine. Don't eat if you're not hungry and aren't having a problem with energy.
Yep, just trying to drop some pounds and get more exercise for general health. I found a couple of articles that said a keto-esque diet can reduce hunger, so maybe that's it ... I dunno. It surprised me because when I was trying to do 1200 a day, I was always ravenously hungry and fell off the wagon/cheated a LOT. Now, though, I might clock 1200 in a day, still have 600 in wiggle room and be going "Meh, I'm good." Which feels weird. I guess it really does matter how you spend those calories ...

@Slowboat to China get a consult from a dietician before you die
Too late. Doctor says I have COVIDiabetes and Hyper-AIDS. If only I had practiced health at every size, this wouldn't have happened! Alas ... Dying ... I can see the light ... Mother!

• Horrifying
Reactions: Mr. 0

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
@Slowboat to China I wouldn't worry about your lack of appetite just yet. I have similar days when I'm less active. On the days where I'm doing cardio and weights I'm absolutely ravenous all day long. That appetite can even spill over into my rest day. Over the winter I do much less cardio and I find myself eating only out of habit instead of trying to appease my appetite.

Reactions: Slowboat to China
Tags
None