Weight loss support thread -

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not about the calories, it's about the mental effort. Too much. I eat food that makes me happy and fills me. Math can suck my baaaaalls. I don't want the act of eating to be a next source of depression.
you need @It's HK-47 to whup your ass into shape
Also, one of the best things you can do to help you stick to a new nutrition plan isn't to completely hack out all of the foods you used to enjoy, but find ways to keep taking a hatchet to the calories that go into those meals at any available opportunity. One of my biggest weaknesses used to be tuna melt sandwiches, and when I buckled down to make the change and commit myself to permanently losing excess body fat, having to give those up would have floored me.

I refused to give them up, so instead I sat down and pored over different ideas until I found a way to both reduce the calorie cost for each sandwich, and still keep the portion sizes hefty enough to where it didn't feel like I was eating a Polaroid of a sandwich. The size and portions for each tuna melt changed alarmingly little, but the number of calories in each of the new sandwiches became almost 1/4th of the original.

Original Tuna Melt Recipe

1 Can of tuna, in oil (160 Calories)
~3 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise (300 Calories)
4 Slices of generic white bread (80 Cal. per slice, 240 cal. total)
2 Slices processed American cheese (60 Cal. per slice, 120 cal. total)
Roughly 1 Tsp of butter per side of each sandwich (~400 Calories!)

Calorie Total: ~1,220 or ~610 Calories per sandwich.
New Tuna Melt Recipe

1 Can of tuna, in water (100 Calories)
~1 Tbsp Greek Yogurt (~5 Calories, if even.)
1 Tbsp Vinegar (0 Calories)
A sprinkle of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (~5 Calories, if even)
4 Slices of Oatmeal Bread (45 Cal. per slice, 180 cal. total.)
1/2 Slice processed American Cheese per sandwich (60 Calories)
Spritz of cooking spray per side of each sandwich (0 Calories)

Calorie Total: ~350 Calories or ~175 Per sandwich.
Just in this one meal alone I was able to hack out an enormous 850 calories just by adjusting the recipe, finding a way to use and season Greek Yogurt as a stand-in for mayonnaise, and removing butter altogether. I can't say that the recipe doesn't taste profoundly different, because it does, but the point remains that after awhile my tastebuds slowly began to acclimate to the new recipe until I'd reached the point where I actually prefer having it that way, now.

Either way, I was able to keep one of my favorite foods in the roster, and I did this sort of thing to every single thing that I used to eat. If you keep making these small adjustments over and over again to the sorts of foods that you know you already love, you can very easily incorporate them into your new eating habits while taking massive chunks of their original calorie counts out of the equation.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Who Wants a Body Massage?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve finally lost 30 pounds from when I was my heaviest last year, and I’m 10 pounds lighter than I’ve been in years and feel great. I’ve basically been just slowly and steadily losing and exercising a lot, and I’m very happy with the way my body looks and feels.
The biggest issues were my love of ice cream, and my love of salty crunchy things like chips. The ice cream is relegated to cheat meals, and for salty crunchy things I’ve switched from tortilla chips to Smartpop or pickles, because those have much less calories.

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
It's not about the calories, it's about the mental effort. Too much. I eat food that makes me happy and fills me. Math can suck my baaaaalls. I don't want the act of eating to be a next source of depression.

You don't have to log your intake down to every single calorie. Just make a rough approximation about how much you're eating vs how much energy you're expending, and make the former less than the latter. Hell, you can figure out how much is a good amount through simple trial and error. Set up a consistent eating plan, adhere to it for a few weeks, and see if you're consistently dropping pounds. If not, make it a bit lighter until you are.

Fjöreskin

kiwifarms.net
My tits are spilling out of my control. Great for tit enthusiasts.......not so great when I realized it's because I gained 30lbs and I can't fit into anything that isn't a sportsbra and sweats. I gain all my weight in my chest, arms, armpits, stomach, and back. Like an upside down pyramid. Bought a swimsuit about a month or two ago, began swimming laps after pools opened last week......it fit when I purchased it but my fat spilled up and out in a very indecent way. My armpits wiggle if I move too hard. Fuck. I'm writing this to remind me to suck it up and get back in shape. Re-downloaded my calorie widget for phone homepage 2 days ago. So far so good. Good luck to every other lazy bastard out there on the same journey.

lurk_moar

Certified Lab Tech and Fatphobe
kiwifarms.net
I started to work out ninety minutes a day on my days off stretch. I am now 142 lbs. I never dreamed that I would be this thin.

I went swimming for the first time in like forever. Holy moly I am not so buoyant anymore. It takes a lot of work to stay above water. I remember when swimming and treading water used to be easy as pie, but not anymore. I had absolutely no difficultly free diving unlike when I was a fat fuck when I could not get down even with a ten-pound weight belt. I will work more on my swimming technique. I think I might just do the snorkel, mask, and fin 300-meter swim test instead of the 200-meter unassisted one.

YoungHustle

💊 edgy 🏳️‍🌈 gay 🧠 not okay
kiwifarms.net
I started to work out ninety minutes a day on my days off stretch. I am now 142 lbs. I never dreamed that I would be this thin.

I went swimming for the first time in like forever. Holy moly I am not so buoyant anymore. It takes a lot of work to stay above water. I remember when swimming and treading water used to be easy as pie, but not anymore. I had absolutely no difficultly free diving unlike when I was a fat fuck when I could not get down even with a ten-pound weight belt. I will work more on my swimming technique. I think I might just do the snorkel, mask, and fin 300-meter swim test instead of the 200-meter unassisted one.
I had an ex so skinny the fucker couldn’t float. You’re not alone, and remember, when going by boat- always travel with a fat chick.

Brussels Sprout

Call any vegetable
kiwifarms.net
I moved during the pandemic and muh FiTnEsS JoUrNeY so I'm just starting to see friends and family again and they're all absolutely shook by how small I got. Ngl the asspats feels good, man.

None of my gotdamn clothing fits though. I have to buy all new stuff which is not as fun as it sounds.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
Okay, I decided it's time last week. Exercising five days a week and on a strict 1500 calorie a day diet. I realized...other than the occasional false hunger pangs and the weird feeling of being satisfied as opposed to full (which I deal with using water or dark leafy greens if they turn out not so fake) it's not so bad. I can still eat what I like, provided I'm careful with portion sizes and I just feel...better in general. Hell, I went out to eat TWICE Sunday and I stayed within my caloric intake. First time in YEARS I've taken leftovers home from a restaurant. Goal is to maintain the diet until July 4th and then allow myself a 2000 calorie day. It is a holiday, after all.

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
Okay, I decided it's time last week. Exercising five days a week and on a strict 1500 calorie a day diet. I realized...other than the occasional false hunger pangs and the weird feeling of being satisfied as opposed to full (which I deal with using water or dark leafy greens if they turn out not so fake) it's not so bad. I can still eat what I like, provided I'm careful with portion sizes and I just feel...better in general. Hell, I went out to eat TWICE Sunday and I stayed within my caloric intake. First time in YEARS I've taken leftovers home from a restaurant. Goal is to maintain the diet until July 4th and then allow myself a 2000 calorie day. It is a holiday, after all.

It really is surprising how easily it all falls into place once you get the good habits locked in.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
It really is surprising how easily it all falls into place once you get the good habits locked in.
Oh, they're not locked in yet. But forcing myself to eat like a human being instead of horking it all down like a starving dog goes a long way towards feeling full. I'm actually surprised that I have the amount of willpower I've exhibited, though. I thought it'd be way harder.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kiwis, I'm fat.

I have a solid idea of what to do (if it's wrong, then I'll learn from my own mistakes).

Give me your advice on stopping snacking/supplementing snacking. My usual idea is sandwiches (just basic bread and kielbasa stuff). I suspect that my carb intake already adds to my sedentary life. How should I wean off it and what were your method to stop yourself from snacking?
Have you given intermittent fasting a go? Essentially, giving yourself a set schedule- say 3:30pm thru 11:30pm- to which you will confine your consumption of food. Even if you consume a similar amount of calories in the time period to what you might otherwise, this can aid in forcing the discipline to actually have a proper meal, whatever that meal may be composed of, rather than snacking.

Now, if you have an absolute feast of sweets and breads when you break your fast, it won't really help that much. But combine that with cooking and freezing proper meals in appropriate quantities (I don't know about these multi-cooker things, seems like a bit of a gimmick- but 'slow cookers' are great if you don't want to waste a bunch of time fussing over waiting for things to cook just right) and you may find more success fighting the snacking habit.

Not a local

Susser
kiwifarms.net
When I started the year off I was 185 at 6'0. After struggling back on the path for the first two months I'm now at 165. It always feels good to check the scale at the end of the week and see what your progress is. Good or bad it's a wonderful motivator.

@biophonic - I'd keep at it. You seem to be doing well, and there's no reason to really stop. If you find your weight dropping to low you can always bulk your 1 meal, or start eating two meals. Both will limit weight lost from intermittent fasting.

Uncle Warren

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you're ever planning on a weight loss bit, potassium chloride is your friend. Legit been feeling really good since I made a half gallon jug with it and a bit of sea salt.

If you like food that fills, then perhaps increasing your fiber intake will do you good.

The V

kiwifarms.net
From my personal experience:
  • Sugar free gum is a must if you have sweet cravings.
  • A way I stopped eating ice cream was to freeze regular yogurt, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and I would have something close enough to the real thing. (I've only tried this with yoplait).
  • If the above doesn't work, Weight Watchers have a great low calorie ice cream bar, the Giant chocolate fudge bar. A bar is 3.5 oz, and 90 calories.
  • If you're using a personal piece of exercising equipment, like a stationary bike, I recommend watching a horror movie or playing a horror game while using it, as it's an easy way to get your adrenaline pumping.
  • Shoes that have good support will go a long way.
  • This might be a me thing, but if I stretch after exercising, I'm far less likely to get muscle cramps.
  • In regards to reusable water bottles, there are a lot where the longer the water sits in the bottle, the worse the water tastes, even when you wash the bottle repeatedly. I have found a way to avoid this:
  1. Add vinegar and baking soda (3:1 ratio) in the bottle, let it sit for 40 minutes. (The amount you need depends on the bottle size, but if the mixture overflows, you're using too much.)
  2. Add hot water to the vinegar/baking soda let that sit over night.
  3. Wash the bottle out with dish soap and hot water.
  4. You now have a water bottle that won't make the water taste awful. (I had to do this twice with a 100 oz bottle.)
Edit: forget a few things.

Last edited: