Weight loss support thread -

Fliddaroonie

I'm a spooky ghost! Whooooo!!! Ectoplasm!!!!
kiwifarms.net
Other than it also cover generalised knee pain, and that osteoarthritis is the 'wearing out your knees' that everyone seems so worried about...

I don't trivialise the need to get stuff right. If you're in pain, stop, build slowly, and never try to do too much too soon. But it's simply inaccurate to suggest that running is inherently unhealthy or bad for you.
It is over a certain weight. The force pn your feet and knees will feck them right on up

lurk_moar

Certified Lab Tech and Fatphobe
kiwifarms.net
On losing 57 pounds and counting, I rarely take naps now. My PMS does not make me feel like a half-decayed zombie anymore but a fatigued and functional human being. I used to get the worst brain fog but not anymore. Why didn't my doctors tell me losing weight would make me feel less tired? I was tired all the time and all of my labs namely CBC, BMP, iron, transferrin, ferritin, TSH, FT3, and FT4 would all come back perfectly in the reference ranges. Doctors were stumped why I was so tired all the time. When you are obese, you have low levels of inflammation which makes you tired all the time. Doctors do not order them CRPs and sed rates unless it is an inflammatory condition or autoimmune disease.

What I have been noticing. My body likes to store fat on my face and quickly lose it. Places where I have lost weight the most include face, boobs, wrist, waist, and thighs. Granted, I did not go down a cup size but several band sizes. I went down an apple watch size. I used to wear XL scrubs, they were tight. Larges are too large on me. Now, it's time to break down and buy mediums. I can finally wear that medium-sized lab coat. My stomach used to be a nice, smooth, pot belly, now it looks like my small intestines are trying to escape.

My goal weight for December 2021 is to weigh in the 120s. My ultimate goal weight is to weigh 100 pounds. I shared my goal with my fellow loser coworker who had weight loss surgery. She was all like BMI charts are incorrect and wrong. Lurk_Moar, you should not weigh 100 pounds. Um, I did not ask for fatlogic.

I am still 41 pounds too fat, I am afraid. I am over halfway to my ultimate weight loss goal. My ultimate goal is to go from 198 to 100 pounds, to lose 50% of my body weight. I lost 28% of my bodyweight already. If I can be a loser, so can you fellow farmers. No matter how frustrating those plateaus are keep on going. Never give up. Remember your goals.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
I have an update too. It's been one month since I snapped and went on 1500 calories a day. So, how did I do?

-First goal achieved. I'm officially under 350 elbees. First weigh in was 357, this morning was 347. I didn't weigh myself Week 1 so that's about 10 pounds in three weeks. Second goal is 325. As a side note, I was a little depressed last week when I went from 351 to 354 (I hadn't fallen off the wagon, which was what depressed me). Apparently it's normal for weight to fluctuate in weird ways, at least according to some people I know who went on Weight Watchers.

-Used to get nasty headaches once or twice a week. That is over, and the ONE I actually had this month worth mentioning was nowhere near severe and was dealt with easily with aspirin.

-Had a nasty fat man hacking cough that would pop up once or twice a day. Now pops up a few times a week, and only when I'm exercising. I stop coughing much faster when it happens, and it's never accompanied by vomit.

-Work uniform is looser. Not just the pants: I can keep my shirt buttoned to the top all day comfortably, my tie no longer bothers me (it's a clip-on, so the knot used to press into my throat). I swear my blazer is bigger on me too. While I'm at it, I have more room in chairs.

-Progressed much faster in my exercise regimen. Before, I had issues keeping up even after a couple of weeks without restricted calories. With the restricted calories, I was able to do even hated exercises like Side Step Squats and Sprawls for the full amount of time Week 3. Muscle soreness dissipated much faster too!

-Seeing muscle definition in shoulders, neck, tris, and forearms. Legs have actual definition and aren't just round pillars. I can feel my abs through my belly fat when I suck it in, and my gut hangs over my waistband less. My head looks less round and the double chin is receding. Fat pocket on the back of my head is smaller.

-Eating a LOT less. My stomach shrunk enough that limiting my intake and portion control happens more or less automatically now. I also eat much slower and can actually savor what I eat. Fast food is beginning to become unappetizing. Spending less eating out in general and cooking more. Groceries last much longer as I have much more leftovers.

So from here, the new goal weight is 325 (ultimate is 225, but I'm setting intermittent ones to keep me motivated). I have a test I want to try this week: normally I'd eat a pan of homemade enchiladas in one day. I want to see if I can stop myself after eating a single one (I'm extremely confident I'll manage it).

lurk_moar

kiwifarms.net
I finally did it. I was at a plateau for three weeks. Now, I am 140 lbs.

My weight lifting has seen modest gains. I am so happy that I broke down and bought a barbell and added new dumbbell weights.

I used to avoid working out on the night shift, but I learned that lifting weights and the stationary bike is a lot less exhausting than stationary bike plus treadmill. Walking on a treadmill on an incline is definitely a workout. I can power walk on flat ground just fine, but walking briskly on a treadmill can definitely be a lot more difficult.

YoungHustle

💊 edgy 🏳️‍🌈 gay 🧠 not okay
kiwifarms.net
I’ve gotten good advice here, so y’all are my normal-people-on-the-internet fitness advice group. It’s been hotter than a fat man’s balls around here day and night for a week. I’ve been really enjoying starting to run, but I can’t do it in this weather and there’s nowhere inside to run. I got a weighted jump rope, but I don’t feel like I’m getting the same cardio benefit. Is that in my head from not covering distance, or what?

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
I’ve gotten good advice here, so y’all are my normal-people-on-the-internet fitness advice group. It’s been hotter than a fat man’s balls around here day and night for a week. I’ve been really enjoying starting to run, but I can’t do it in this weather and there’s nowhere inside to run. I got a weighted jump rope, but I don’t feel like I’m getting the same cardio benefit. Is that in my head from not covering distance, or what?
Based on my Google-fu, 10 minutes of constant, vigorous rope jumping is about the same as running an 8-minute mile. 30 minutes of that can burn 372 cals for a 155 pound person, so provided you're keeping to similar time points and activity level it's all in your head.

longjohn

kiwifarms.net
It's incredibly vain, but I wanted to go down a few dress sizes and get my firm tummy back. Put on a lot of weight after I got really sick last year. Of course my fat couldn't store itself it more flattering areas and it changed my body shape completely. 30 lbs doesn't sound that bad on paper, but since I'm getting older and I'm short, it just makes me look super stocky.

Not at my ideal size yet, but I have been weight lifting semi-regularly and started getting more consistent with my gym visits.

I have anxiety at the gym though. Anyone have any tricks to combat that? I go late at night to avoid the crowd but I still feel off. It's been a while since I've been to the gym and the normie place I signed up to thinking it would be more casual somehow feels more judgmental than other, more serious gyms I've attended in the past lol.

Local Fed

"Buddy, don't be a fuckin hero, buddy"
kiwifarms.net
I have anxiety at the gym though. Anyone have any tricks to combat that?
Just remember that no one really cares about you. I'm inferring you're a woman based on your post so you may have the occasional guy try to flirt or something, but for the most part everyone is there for a reason, to workout and leave. Wearing earbuds and getting kind of 'lost' in what you're doing really helps too. Maybe find a good podcast or audiobook if you're more into that than music.

Meiwaku

キウィフルーツの赤い乳首猿
kiwifarms.net
It's incredibly vain, but I wanted to go down a few dress sizes and get my firm tummy back. Put on a lot of weight after I got really sick last year. Of course my fat couldn't store itself it more flattering areas and it changed my body shape completely. 30 lbs doesn't sound that bad on paper, but since I'm getting older and I'm short, it just makes me look super stocky.

Not at my ideal size yet, but I have been weight lifting semi-regularly and started getting more consistent with my gym visits.

I have anxiety at the gym though. Anyone have any tricks to combat that? I go late at night to avoid the crowd but I still feel off. It's been a while since I've been to the gym and the normie place I signed up to thinking it would be more casual somehow feels more judgmental than other, more serious gyms I've attended in the past lol.

In the gym, every fit body is made from their own hard work. The people you see around you who are built or have a pilates butt so tight it sucks the fabric of the leggings in started as a normie. Nobody knows better than fit people that you're LITERALLY self-made. Nobody is born with gunz, nobody is born with back muscles to rival adonis. What you're looking at isn't judgement, it's people who have done the work and recognize that every newbie in the gym, fat or thin, was once them.

Nobody goes to a gym to gawk or make fun of you. You go to the gym to work. Even if it has the most serious looking lifters and fittest tightest assed only sports bra and short shorts wearing pilates instructors.

Everyone, especially in the modern day and age, is tuned out focusing on themselves. Every fat person in the gym is actually a blessing because I damn sure guarantee you in a UK or US population where 1/3-1/4 are overweight, that some of your fittest looking people were once indeed, fat. Perhaps even morbidly obese. Gym people like seeing fat people in the gym. It shows you're trying.

You didn't get fat overnight, you're not going to get thin overnight. Gym people know this too, better than normies do.

Don't be intimidated. They were once you too.

lurk_moar

kiwifarms.net
To longjohn.

How I began my fitness and weight loss journey.

First of all during Spring semester of 2018. I was disgusted that I was so fat that I would work out in the community college gym. I did not stick to this very long due to the fact that I felt uncomfortable with people gawking at me. My diet was still terrible despite adding protein shakes.

Enter Spring semester 2019. I was at my internship where I would then begin to mall walk and use the Gazelle a bit more. I do a lot of walking.

College graduation. I got a job as a lab tech where I am very active. I bought a Gazelle and stationary bike. I walk half a mile to work back and forth. I worked out occasionally and lost about ten pounds.

Beginning of 2020. I am kind of disgusted by obese patients and their laundry list of health problems. They inspire me to finally do something about it. A travel tech was all like I used to be fat just like you until keto. My program director hated keto, and despite her collecting masters degrees like Pokémans, she confused diabetic ketoacidosis for ketosis. I began a very high protein diet and bought myself a treadmill and rowing machine. By July I am at 157. I plateau and give up.

In 2021, I gained ten pounds. I went back on my very high protein diet again. I still used the same exercise equipment that I have. I have been on this diet for six months. I went from 167 to 140. For the for first time in forever, I am no longer at an obese BMI. I was really inspired this time because I want to get my open water certification in December. I planned on going to Los Algodones in December 2020, but rona hit and plans changed for the better.

Now for my home gym, I bought a barbell set, assorted dumbbells, some kettlebells, and an elliptical that I always wanted.

I feel better working out at home because the only person I am competing against is myself. I am only comparing myself to my past self. I feel much more comfortable at home and seem to get a better workout.I bought a little bit of exercise equipment at a time not all at once.

Fitness and weight loss is a journey. I love to go on Reddit for inspiration on weight loss. My favorite subreddits are loseit and progresspics. Please do not let any naysayers influence you.

Last edited:

chrononaut

kiwifarms.net
im making decent progress. lost my appetite a week ago which makes it easier to eat at a deficit. i no longer get that dopamine rush from eating takeout. wonder what happened...

I think I strained or tore some part of my shoulder earlier this month. Probably because all the exercises I do are arm-intensive (lifting, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, yoga). It is fine now. Fucking hurt though. Like my trap muscle/shoulder felt like they were on fire.

think

kiwifarms.net
I am currently on a 30 day water fast after reading into it for some time. I have supplements and vitamins on standby in case, but my daily activities are not rigorous enough to require large caloric intake. The heaviest I have ever weighed is 215lbs and I took that down to around 180lbs after aggressive juicing of fruits and vegetables around 5 years ago. This time around I'm currently 180lbs and at a 24 BMI. The focus is trimming the BMI down and getting a bit more slim.

I personally enjoy running and basic pushups/inverted sit-ups but I will not be exerting myself heavily during this. My personal friend had great results doing a water fast and he's back to eating normal food and has kept a significant amount of weight off.

Ketosis is something I've been in before and I'll plan on maintaining that after this water fast. Here's a pretty interesting video on the subject of water fasting that encouraged me to try it:

Ugandan discussions

kiwifarms.net
I have anxiety at the gym though. Anyone have any tricks to combat that?
You may find that the best trick is to do something else. That's not to say the gym isn't useful, but the industry functions on the back of people who pay $30 per month to be reminded that they haven't been the gym for months, and you might get more out of investing that in something you will do.

Despite the strong reservations of some on this thread, for sustainable weight loss and lifestyle change there are few activities better than running and it has the added bonus of being much cheaper, and available right outside your front door.

With running, cycling, the gym or most other things, you'll rapidly find that no-one is interested in anything other than what they're doing. There's a camaraderie among participants in any such activity, so you're much more likely to get support and encouragement than anything disparaging.

fat venus

we have been hurt and aboundoned in the past
kiwifarms.net
so i posted this in "deathfat encounters" thread
Screenshot_20210718-094321_Chrome.jpg

because i had just gotten new info about my weight: i had hit 121kg (267lbs)
which meant that at my short height, my bmi was 44.4

i have had problems with excess weight for about 15 years now, but hitting a new record high was very alarming. and i am very out of shape, unless "round" counts as a shape
i get out of breath easily. my feet hurt. summer heat is unbearable. my mobility has been decreasing, i cant squat, circulation spontaneously cuts off from my limbs bcus veins just collapse on themselves from outwards pressure. gross.

and i have two children. at this rate, i wont see them grow up.

my first act was to stop chugging energy drinks daily. another weigh-in after 3 weeks showed that i had gone down a few kgs, to 118 (260lbs). bmi 43.3

i am trying to document my eating, but damn i have never been the type to keep any kind of diary. so i forget.

my next weighing is in 4 weeks and i want to be down to 110kg (243lbs) by then. i have increased my activity level, but overall my habits are so shitty its gonna be a real job to unlearn that.

eventually, my long-term goal is to be 80kg (176lbs). i had my body composition measured in 2015, when my LBM was 58kg (128lbs). going to get measured again, later this year, to know where i stand now.

on a positive note: i know i will succeed. there is no other choice.

rydoo

kiwifarms.net
I am currently on a 30 day water fast
Ok. A bit extreme and you're going to have fatigue and headaches without electrolytes.
This time around I'm currently 180lbs and at a 24 BMI.
That is way too "normal" of a body comp to be doing a 30 day water fast. 30 day fasts are something I'd recommend to people like the ralphamale, boogie, Wings, or (after hearing his latest stream vod) our dear feeder himself.
You are going to lose a LOT of muscle. Just do 72 hour fasts. You could even do them rolling (meal between fasts, then back to fasting).
What you are describing sounds like an eating disorder, if you are truly 24 BMI.

Last edited:

think

kiwifarms.net
Ok. A bit extreme and you're going to have fatigue and headaches without electrolytes.

That is way too "normal" of a body comp to be doing a 30 day water fast. 30 day fasts are something I'd recommend to people like the ralphamale, boogie, Wings, or (after hearing his latest stream vod) our dear feeder himself.
You are going to lose a LOT of muscle. Just do 72 hour fasts. You could even do them rolling (meal between fasts, then back to fasting).
What you are describing sounds like an eating disorder, if you are truly 24 BMI.
Could be, I'm just doing it to see if I can do it. I have been using electrolytes and I'm about to hit day 10 and it's working well so far. I've read about the muscle loss before and that's something I have an idea about, but no facts. Day 3 was the most difficult but I made it through. Anyway, I'll continue on for now because I feel fine with the proper supplements.

Dave Meltzer

kiwifarms.net
We must be losing weight at same rate since we were both 199 at the same time and now 191 at the same time. I really kicked up the physical activity the last month. 3 out of every 4 days I do an ab routine that has 20-25 exercises. I walk now after every meal since it helps with digestion. Anywhere from 6-14 miles per day. I use a gps app to track distance. Did a total of 200 miles for the month. Plus I'm doing weight training doing each muscle group twice a week.
Thought I would revisit this thread 1 year later. Right now at 171. I plan on checking back in 2 years since 95% of diets fail within 3 years. I plan on being in that 5% which means my work isn't done.