Weightlifting for Kiwis - Discussion and support regarding the art of swole

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Longstory short after restarting my weight lifting regimen I have decided to create a thread for all kiwis interested in getting started lifting, or experienced lifter kiwis interested in sharing advice for newbies. Basically if anyone wants to offer up their workout plan for constructive criticism or asspats, ask questions about how to start or what to focus on, or just idley brood over the fact they are not yet Arnold schwarzinigger in terms of bulk.

To start us off (and what will probably be the only post in this thread) here is my current workout plan. Its a highly modified StrongLifts focusing on low reps and high weight compound exercises.

6KBOaP1.png

basically i do this three times a week (monday, wednesday, friday) and try to increase the weight by 2.5kg whenever I can. I started off at like 50kg accross the board back three years ago, but i unfortunately I had a tendancy to get to a certain level and then give up for months, thus losing my progress so had i stuck to it I would probably be at a decent bit higher weight. Its majorly hard work at the moment but im sticking to the regimen fairly well so far. If anypony has constructive criticism to give or anyone else want to talk about their regimen feel free to plonk it on this thread

(also if you wondering why the squat weight is so low, i got crappy knees)

Also if anyone wants to ask about or discuss equipment that will be fine too, especially since that shit is pricy as fuck, and advice on what kind of weights/barbell and what kind of weightstand to get will probably be useful

Last edited by a moderator:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoy weight lifting and I think we have a thread on it, or loosely towards it. I enjoy sports and anything I had my time into lifting and my stuff sucks now as I play Rugby and Basketball, while being stronger always makes you better, I find it really sucks enough out of me and my old bones I have to do lighter stuff less impact so my games are top.

The bug of being "big" hit me again I'm seriously considering the big buy I need to DIY of a cage, I have the bar, and plates and lots of other stuff, cages just are a heck of a buy.

But also I know a cage at home will change my goals and I'm really happy playing sports being social making contacts and getting better at something fluid.

Squats were always my best and go to, damn near 500 at my peak. I managed to get in to the 1000 club with a comical barely 200lb bench lol. It's always been my by far weakest lift and I've seen docs, trainers, nothing is wrong I just have some damn bird chest.

Christy Mack

kiwifarms.net
only pay for the power rack, the barbell, and the weight plates

everything else could either be made yourself or isn't that important in the first place

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
only pay for the power rack, the barbell, and the weight plates

everything else could either be made yourself or isn't that important in the first place
I agree, funny you mention making your own stuff, every place I've ever lived I had a pull up bar and my rule was when ever I pass it I rip till failure.

Perhaps it's getting old but now it's in my basement store room.

For cages, I've heard Atlas isn't a bad way to go, but I rather spend the money do it right it'll be home use only. I don't think anytime soon (but don't want to rule out) going up to high 300 low 400 range on lbs.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan

nWo 4 LyFe
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
consequence of doing a bunch of different crappy workout regimens over the past twoish years and having crappy knees. I have been fairly quickly making the weight back up with the squats though so this will probably look quite different in a few months

My bench press is dogshit, but my squats and deads are pretty decent. I also have long ass arms which kinda screws me. My squat max is 385, dead is 425, bench is 250 and OHP is around 160 (haven't maxed in a while but can do 155 for a few)

Coconut Gun

He's the gun member of the coconut crew
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are the best weights to buy and exercises to do to start lifting at home? I just wanna look good and couldn't give less of a shit about functional strength.

Autopsy

kiwifarms.net
What are the best weights to buy and exercises to do to start lifting at home? I just wanna look good and couldn't give less of a shit about functional strength.
You can do about all of the entry-level building you need with a bench (flat or decline, variations of exercises let you utilize either fairly well), a medicine ball, pairs of 10lb and 25lb weights, a decent understanding of how to do full range exercises, and a lot of sore nights. If you're just looking to trim you may not even need weights at all, a mixture of bodyweight exercises and isometric exercises is more than enough.

kinglordsupreme19

Diurnal Dominance Dispenser
kiwifarms.net
Had to take a break for 6 weeks because of some surgery, planning on easing myself back into my routine tomorrow. I started around 18 months ago on Sean10mm's Stripped 5x5 routine, and so far I have had pretty consistent progress from it, but have taken around 4-5 month or two month long breaks for various reasons. Here are my maxes.

BW: ~95kg

DL: 160 x 5
SQ: 130 x 5
BP: 90 x 5
BBR: 70 x 5
MP: 60 x 5

I switched out 5x5 for DL at the advice of a particularly fit friend who recommended to just warm up from 100kg below at 20kg intervals up to a single 1x5 set. Worked great, especially since it allowed me to just put all my natural grip into that set rather than exhaust myself and have to use straps on my final set.

The Shadow

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
kiwifarms.net
If you're just starting out you don't necessarily need a set of weights immediately. There's a lot of good bodyweight exercises you can do without having to spend anything. Solid push-ups and squats will never be a bad decision.

Broseph Stalin

Smoke a Fed for St. Herkster
kiwifarms.net
Alright, so I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've looked everywhere, but I think I'd like to ask for y'all's opinion.

I'm trying to lose weight (More like lose fat, mainly) but put on muscle. I've read that a combination of BCAA and protein supplements (Such as whey) could work but A) It sounds like some kind of bro-science which might fuck up my guts and B) I'm trying to avoid supplements as much as I can. I'm half-tempted to try it but a lot of the forums, articles, etc. that I've read tend to stay more towards the opinion of, "You either lose weight and lose muscle or you gain muscle and lose weight" with there not really being much of an in-between.

Any advice on how to tackle this? Or am I just going to have to focus on losing weight before working on getting swole?

BCAAs are already found in most protein sources, supplementing just lets you get more of them without having to eat 15 steaks a day.

There's nothing wrong with supplements as long as you're taking them for a reason. Read medical literature regarding these supplements and their effects. Studies and shit. Ignore marketing copy from the manufacturer.

Getting swole and lean can happen in tandem, the more muscle you build the more calories you consume. At the end of the day you need to consume more energy than you take in. Start by minimizing bad stuff you eat in general, soda, beer, etc. Eat at least 1.5g of protein for every kg of body weight you have. Try to avoid eating too much fatty food because that can easily push you into caloric surplus which isn't conducive to cutting fat

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright, so I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've looked everywhere, but I think I'd like to ask for y'all's opinion.

I'm trying to lose weight (More like lose fat, mainly) but put on muscle. I've read that a combination of BCAA and protein supplements (Such as whey) could work but A) It sounds like some kind of bro-science which might fuck up my guts and B) I'm trying to avoid supplements as much as I can. I'm half-tempted to try it but a lot of the forums, articles, etc. that I've read tend to stay more towards the opinion of, "You either lose weight and lose muscle or you gain muscle and lose weight" with there not really being much of an in-between.

Any advice on how to tackle this? Or am I just going to have to focus on losing weight before working on getting swole?

Honestly this is one of the major reasons I started lifting. Just the protein and BCAA on their own probably wont fuck up your guts unless you have some kind of allergy to an ingredient, and replacing carbs in your diet with protein (and fat) is a standard Keto thing that can work really well for a lot of people in terms of weight loss, but fundamentally these supplements will have no real relation to weight loss, only for your muscles and workouts.

the most important thing for me was to keep lifting heavy relative to my current strength, and use the supplements to recover/prepare for a session. Its not a question of losing fat OR gaining muscle, since by lifting heavy weights you both burn off a fair bit of fat immediately, and will continue burning it for the rest of the day since your metabolism goes into overdrive. Also the bigger/more developed your muscles are, the more fat they will burn.

In terms of supplements I tend to take a BCAA drink just before I start, then after im finished have a whey/caesin/creatine smoothie (with a fcktunne of spinach). However just about everyone I know has their own individual times of taking them (often caesin is taken before bed, since its a slow release protein that syncs well with sleep) so this will be down to your own experimentation

Nazi vegeta

kiwifarms.net
I was able to do it at the same time, without having to take any supplements.
Maybe I'm just lucky that I have good genetics and I build mass easily, but trying doesnt hurt.

in 8 months, I had gone from 89 kg very few muscle, to 83kg mostly muscles and I'm 1.75cm tall.
My fat percentage If I had to guess, was not higher than 16-17%, after those 8 months.
This was 10 years ago, when I was in my early 20s.
My trainer had me doing high intensity/resistence training, with low rest in between. I started with basic 5x5 then evolved slowly into stuff like 10reps(30sec rest)10reps(30 rest) 10reps (2 sec rest) and 2 last reps with the max weight I could handle, all his X2 for every muscle group, for example.
I also took long walks and used to do 30 mins of very slow tapis roulant, after I finished training, almost every time.

It's hard, but it's doable.

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was able to do it at the same time, without having to take any supplements.
Maybe I'm just lucky that I have good genetics and I build mass easily, but trying doesnt hurt.

in 8 months, I had gone from 89 kg very few muscle, to 83kg mostly muscles and I'm 1.75cm tall.
My fat percentage If I had to guess, was not higher than 16-17%, after those 8 months.
This was 10 years ago, when I was in my early 20s.
My trainer had me doing high intensity/resistence training, with low rest in between. I started with basic 5x5 then evolved slowly into stuff like 10reps(30sec rest)10reps(30 rest) 10reps (2 sec rest) and 2 last reps with the max weight I could handle, all his X2 for every muscle group, for example.
I also took long walks and used to do 30 mins of very slow tapis roulant, after I finished training, almost every time.

It's hard, but it's doable.

yeah. I personally found suppliments helped after I got to 200 pound lifts, but folks shouldnt fall into the trap of thinking they need suppliments to have any chance of success or that they should take all the suppliments they can get. as with all things its dependant on your own body and your own bio mechanics

kinglordsupreme19

Diurnal Dominance Dispenser
kiwifarms.net
If you're just starting out you don't necessarily need a set of weights immediately. There's a lot of good bodyweight exercises you can do without having to spend anything. Solid push-ups and squats will never be a bad decision.

If you want a good bodyweight exercise routine, my recommendation is Charles Bronson's Solitary Fitness. These have clearly worked in his case, and having done it myself for a couple of months 3 or so years ago I can attest that it's pretty good. He also is remarkably knowledgeable, and his insanity also makes the book an interesting read at times.

Firstly, there's the phenomenon of baby gains; for your first few months especially, you will develop pretty well in strength even if you are running a caloric deficit. Secondly, there is the fact that increased muscle mass increases your metabolism and thus will make future weight loss easier. Third, your goal should always be fat reduction rather than weight reduction - if you were to manage to eat at perfect caloric equilibrium during a programme, then you'd probably see over time your body weight remain the same-ish but you switch from fatmode to leanmode.

My recommendation is that you should aspire to a 500ish kcal deficit a day while following a lifting routine mixed with 20 mins of HIIT. The increased lean mass and test will do wonders for your confidence and figure.

As for sups, think of them as catalysts that expedite your development rather than core ingredients. If you want the speediest and most efficient transformation, I'd recommend a whey+BCAA mix before a workout and a larger whey+creatine mix after a workout. Also, good multivitamins really expedite recovery. If you can also source a large quantity of Vitamin D (through dedicated supplements), that also tends to increase the speed of your progress.

How do I do bench presses if I don't have any friends who will save me from crushing myself to death?

Just go to the gym and either ask one of the staff to spot for you or a guy resting between sets to help you out. People at the gym are generally extremely friendly and supportive (most of them have been where you're at), and are happy to lend a hand. I frequently ask total strangers to spot for me; just make sure you're willing to do the same for them.