Weightlifting for Kiwis - Discussion and support regarding the art of swole

Hollywood Hulk Hogan

nWo 4 LyFe
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As far as grips and different barbells, have you tried rack pulls? I like to do those first when I'm getting used to a new gym and the barbells feel weird. Helps get you used to the barbell and locking out while deadlifting.
I've done rack pulls, but generally I prefer deadlifts since the lockout is not my biggest issue since I do sumo pulls.

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
As fun as this whole High Intensity stuff is, one thing I'm noticing is that it really is heavy on the CNS. I work out during my lunch break, and it's kinda hard to remain alert for the rest of the day.
Did 85 kg bench presses for five reps plus three assisted reps today. Considering that before the lockdown I was doing 90+ kg for 3-5x5 sets...

nigger of the north

kiwifarms.net
I don't just like weightlifing - I appear to be almost passionate about it.

Within 2 weeks I've lost seven pounds and my family keep asking me what's my secret. Holy hell I wish I'd started weightlifting sooner.
Ain't that the truth.

I 'worked out' in a manner of speaking throughout my twenties, but didn't get serious until I was 29, almost 30. The amount of time and effort I put into it has basically superseded all of my other hobbies. And you know what? I'm not even mad that the fact.

I got a friend into serious lifting about a year back, and the exact same thing happened to him. It's nuts.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As fun as this whole High Intensity stuff is, one thing I'm noticing is that it really is heavy on the CNS. I work out during my lunch break, and it's kinda hard to remain alert for the rest of the day.
Did 85 kg bench presses for five reps plus three assisted reps today. Considering that before the lockdown I was doing 90+ kg for 3-5x5 sets...
CNS burn is real. Legit take some time off. Sprinters suffer the worst cns wear and legit do nothing for maybe one week a month or so. For lifting depends on your routine and perhaps can still do cardio dips etc.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Who Wants a Body Massage?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I really fell in love with bodybuilding and exercise once I started actually having people comment on my progress. It's a bit egotistical, but it felt really nice. I also really became obsessed with just learning about it, and experimenting with different modalities.
What has definitely made my physique and performance go from "gym bro" to "this nigga is serious about the gym" was taking the smaller, oft neglected muscles and movements as seriously as bigger lifts. Rear deltoid movements like flies really make your shoulders look 3D, and make your back look much more balanced. And for building detail and honestly surprising results, finishing off Chest and Back Day with heavy Dumbbell Pullovers makes a huge difference. It really develops the serratus, adding a lot of detail to the midsection, and finishes off the upper chest and upper back real good.

Last edited:

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
CNS burn is real. Legit take some time off. Sprinters suffer the worst cns wear and legit do nothing for maybe one week a month or so. For lifting depends on your routine and perhaps can still do cardio dips etc.
I think it's not full-on CNS burn, just intense physical exhaustion combined with CNS exhaustion. The routine is only three days a week, and just like half an hour of training each time. Probably need to get used to the intensity.

nigger of the north

kiwifarms.net
I think I really fell in love with bodybuilding and exercise once I started actually having people comment on my progress. It's a bit egotistical, but it felt really nice. I also really became obsessed with just learning about it, and experimenting with different modalities.
What has definitely made my physique and performance go from "gym bro" to "this nigga is serious about the gym" was taking the smaller, oft neglected muscles and movements as seriously as bigger lifts. Rear deltoid movements like flies really make your shoulders look 3D, and make your back look much more balanced. And for building detail and honestly surprising results, finishing off Chest and Back Day with heavy Dumbbell Pullovers makes a huge difference. It really develops the serratus, adding a lot of detail to the midsection, and finish off the upper chest and upper back real good.
So many people neglect the accessory exercises. I mean, 90% of guys in any gym anywhere pretty much only do chest and biceps. Beyond that, it's rare to see someone training all of their body equally, focusing on both compounds and accessories. Of course, one supports the other, and allows for continued progression.

I know when I started paying more attention to my rear delts, my pressing ability saw greater progress, not to mention the aesthetic gains.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Who Wants a Body Massage?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I finally got my strict muscle up on the rings, and I'm pretty pleased with that.
I really need to work on my false grip, but it's a start. My plan is to just occasionally do a couple every so often throughout the day, incidental training, so I can really get used to the movement.
The transition is the hardest part, and the false grip.

Last edited:

Justtocheck

Alhamdullila he shall be boiled.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I finally got my strict muscle up on the rings, and I'm pretty pleased with that.
I really need to work on my false grip, but it's a start. My plan is to just occasionally do a couple every so often throughout the day, incidental training, so I can really get used to the movement.
Be very careful with those; my left shoulder paid a price for trying to be an amateur gymnast. But rings are awesome tho.

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
Nice. I wanted to play Rugby for a while, did a course with the local team when I was in uni, but then tore my cruciate ligament at like the first proper training with the team after the course. Then I finished my degree and moved, and just when my knee was finally in proper shape again and a Rugby team in this city formed, the Coof hit and closed that shit up.
Don't think I'll get back into Rugby, though. Maybe boxing. Or swordfighting. Some form of civilised ultraviolence.

/edit: I don't think I ever had sore muscles for three to four days this consistently from bench presses. Single heavy AF set with a few assisted reps at the end until you're dead, then a few drop sets until you can't lift the empty bar anymore. Then incline dumbbell presses and butterflies in a similar fashion.
Feels good man.

Last edited:

BSC

My pussy was cancelled
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
MATI rant incoming.

I swear to god if I see one of you faggots doing exclusively bicep workouts in a squat rack at my gym, I am going to rip off your head and take a protein-heavy shit down your still-spurting neckhole. You can literally do the same workout ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE GYM. Nobody is impressed by your lumpy, dadbod having ass doing bicep curls (poorly) in the squat rack.

/rant

TLDR: mfw it's leg day, none of the squat racks are open, and I see some retard standing in one of them doing curls.
angrypepe.gif

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
MATI rant incoming.

I swear to god if I see one of you faggots doing exclusively bicep workouts in a squat rack at my gym, I am going to rip off your head and take a protein-heavy shit down your still-spurting neckhole. You can literally do the same workout ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE GYM. Nobody is impressed by your lumpy, dadbod having ass doing bicep curls (poorly) in the squat rack.

/rant

TLDR: mfw it's leg day, none of the squat racks are open, and I see some retard standing in one of them doing curls.
View attachment 2264669
I hate people doing bullshit in the squat rack. My gym only has one squat rack, but it's usually free when I need it. Haven't seen anyone doing curls in there in ages.

Coelacanth

Your local living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
Yesterday was interesting. I finally got the chance to show my parents how the barbell works and how I put it together - even did a set of squats and bicep curls for them. Thankfully I was able to take it with me on my vacation. They were impressed.

It was also yesterday that I faced up against my first really big challenge. We're staying in Cornwall for the week - and if you've ever been there, then you'll most likely know how steep the cliff pathways can get. It's a deathfat's worst nightmare. We had to get some supplies from the corner store at the very base of the village we're staying at, which is a five minute trek down and twenty minute trek up. I was nervous and silently praying that I'd built up enough stamina and strengths to make it back without my parents going to get the car.

I needed a break halfway, but I scaled the entire thing. I'm super pleased to say the least!

lurk_moar

Certified Lab Tech and Fatphobe
kiwifarms.net
Because of rona and because my germaphobe intensifies, I refuse to step foot in a gym now.

I had seven-pound dumbbells for the longest time. After my tenure raise along with overtime pay, I broke down and bought ten, twelve, and fifteen-pound dumbbells. On Amazon Prime Day, they were selling this awesome adjustable weight set with a kettlebell, dumbells, and barbells. I really do not like the dumbells of this set. They are too wide for me which made me break down and buy more dumbells. I love the kettlebell and the barbell of that set.

Since I am on a high protein diet, let's see how fast I gain. Cardio makes me exhausted before work, but I feel fine lifting for a half hour. I think that I will try to do weight lifting on my night shift rotations because I do not work out during those times.

Mepsi Pax

kiwifarms.net
^Half hour's too short. If you're getting a full workout (say completed sets of 5-6 different exercises) in half an hour, you need to raise the intensity. Aim for an hour including stretches and stay busy. I usually spend about 1.5 hours total on weights and very little of that is idle time (walking back and forth between supersets, changing weights or machines).

Do you guys really not tell people to get out of the rack when they're misusing it? It's been a while since I've seen anyone abuse the squat rack, but back in the McGym days, I'd go right up to them and tell them I needed to use it. I wouldn't yell at them, I'd just make a statement while pointing at various objects (always confuse your enemies) and give them the look. If they played dumb I'd suggest they could do that anywhere else. Your mileage may vary if you don't look like a veteran, but at the same time the only people who curl (or whatever) in the rack are newbies and dweebs.

EDIT: Read back to the previous page.... jeeeeezus big lifts with no belt? Hulk it's no wonder you're all fucked up conceptually. I don't think I've EVER seen serious lifters squat or dead heavy with no belt. If you're down at 2 plates for warmups, sure. Otherwise, it saves your back. That shit's no joke. Straps are fine if you're not gonna compete, I always use them for deads and heavy shrugs because my hands just don't keep up.

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I gotta disagree. You can bang lifts fast and be done esp if pre loaded bars etc. I'm quite fast and home gym so need to move rack etc. Straps never belts gotta move at a point or danger risks . I did some 4xx deads beltless in mid 20s. So I dunno HHH age health etc. But if huge better safe and I'm kinda no strap till 600 range.

• Agree
Reactions: BSC

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
^Half hour's too short. If you're getting a full workout (say completed sets of 5-6 different exercises) in half an hour, you need to raise the intensity. Aim for an hour including stretches and stay busy. I usually spend about 1.5 hours total on weights and very little of that is idle time (walking back and forth between supersets, changing weights or machines).

Do you guys really not tell people to get out of the rack when they're misusing it? It's been a while since I've seen anyone abuse the squat rack, but back in the McGym days, I'd go right up to them and tell them I needed to use it. I wouldn't yell at them, I'd just make a statement while pointing at various objects (always confuse your enemies) and give them the look. If they played dumb I'd suggest they could do that anywhere else. Your mileage may vary if you don't look like a veteran, but at the same time the only people who curl (or whatever) in the rack are newbies and dweebs.

EDIT: Read back to the previous page.... jeeeeezus big lifts with no belt? Hulk it's no wonder you're all fucked up conceptually. I don't think I've EVER seen serious lifters squat or dead heavy with no belt. If you're down at 2 plates for warmups, sure. Otherwise, it saves your back. That shit's no joke. Straps are fine if you're not gonna compete, I always use them for deads and heavy shrugs because my hands just don't keep up.
Isn't the belt mainly there to increase pressure, not to support your back? I've only been using the belt for the heavy working sets above 315 lbs for squats. Not because of my back, but just to increase abdominal pressure.
Never actually used it for deadlifts, nor straps.

Also, 30-45 minutes is fine for a good workout, depending on what you're aiming for. With high intensity you can be done quite quick. 45 minutes including light warm up and cool down and stretches should be fine. It's actually what I'm currently doing for the most part.

• Agree
Reactions: BSC