kiwifarms.net
Back day for me today kiwi bros

Attachments

• C507ADF5-76C8-4675-9BD9-1D26A75C3FC7.jpeg
    C507ADF5-76C8-4675-9BD9-1D26A75C3FC7.jpeg
    607.2 KB · Views: 57

Fucky Chucky

kiwifarms.net
I'm starting up again with the starting strength routine. It's fun and its a good way to get back into the motions. It's full body, low impact, and it gives you somewhere to go whatever you're lifting. My last deadlift workout used 250 lbs because that was all the weights I had but I'm going down to 135 to start over and do all the exercises and overloads over again because I fell off the track. When I get to the end I'll decide to buy more weights, start over or do another program. It'll be good whatever the outcome.

TheCuntler

kiwifarms.net
I thought I’d post my workout routine. In general, my trainings are not long but quite intense (45 min). I won’t post any weight or reps because I don’t have a specific plan. I usually start with light weight and do a lot of reps. After each cycle of reps, I increase weight and lower reps. Usually I train until I must lower the weight considerably (at least I try, lol).

I used to train a lot and had a great physique, but things changed, and I stopped working out for almost 1 1/2 years. I’m back at it again (for 2 weeks)

Currently I eat 1500 kcal a day. It’s not that much but it works for me. I gained a few kilos and they must go now. As soon as I feel comfortable with the amount of fat that I have I’ll increase my diet to 2000. I count every calorie because that helps me to stay in check. I substitute snacks with fibrous fruits like kiwi (I eat the peal). This can really curb appetite or hunger. I try to consume all the vitamins and I recently started to add omega 3 and Vit D. I precook all my meals. Mostly chicken rich and protein rich vegetables. But I’m looking into alternatives. To reach the necessary protein amount I also use a protein shake. And Creatine of course.

I wake up at 4:40 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I have to go 40 min by train because the only studio that opens in the early mornings and is near me costs double of what I pay now. The others all open to late. I don’t like training when there are too many groaning, screaming retards around me that, under every circumstance, have to drop there weight from above the head.

On weekends and Friday, I wake up at 5:20

I run about 1km before almost each training.

Monday: Legs and abs.
For legs I rotate between legpress and squads, quad machine, hamstring machine (and for good measure a little bit of abductor and adductors). I finish the training with some weighted lunges. In the End I exercise my abs a bit.

Tuesday: Nothing

Wednesday: Chest

Just your normal chest exercises. I rotate between machine chest press (including inclined and declined), cable, machine and normal butterfly and dumbbell bench-press. I fucking hate normal bench press, so I don’t do it.

Thursday: Back and abs.
I rotate between cable row and lat pull down. For both exercises I do them “isolated”, one side at a time, and together. I get a pretty decent lower back workout by doing the cable rows with both hands and leaning forward while letting the weight go down. (I’ll probably include dead lifts at some point). Abs as usual.

Friday: I go running for 5km or so.

Saturday: Shoulders and neck

I rotate between shoulder press, front and lateral raise. I also include upright row (best fucking exercise). I don’t really train my back shoulders because I get those while doing the isolated lat pull downs. For the neck I stand and lean forward an do a similar motion as a dumbbell row. But with both arms at the same time and focusing more on the neck. And I don’t lean forward a much.

Sunday: Arms
Hammer and normal curls for bicep. I also do isolated curls at a machine. For triceps a mostly do triceps bar pushdown and scull crusher.

Last edited:

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
I'm starting up again with the starting strength routine. It's fun and its a good way to get back into the motions. It's full body, low impact, and it gives you somewhere to go whatever you're lifting. My last deadlift workout used 250 lbs because that was all the weights I had but I'm going down to 135 to start over and do all the exercises and overloads over again because I fell off the track. When I get to the end I'll decide to buy more weights, start over or do another program. It'll be good whatever the outcome.
I recommend doing Stronglifts over Starting Strength if you’re early in your lifting journey. I believe that form is incredibly important and 5x5 gives you 60% more volume than 3x5. Keep deadlifts 1x5. If you find that squats are too difficult to complete drop to 4x5 and then finally 3x5. I used linear progression routines such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts all the way up to a mid 400 deadlift and mid 300 squat. 3x5 just isn’t enough volume to progress reasonably on the bench press after a couple months. If your goal is aesthetics I recommend running a linear progression routine for a year or so and then transitioning to PushPullLegs. Starting off with a high volume/hypertrophy routine isn’t ideal because you won’t have the strength or conditioning to really utilize it. Remember that it’s tempting to eat a shit load and get strong as hell but dirty bulking is unnecessary and will lead to you putting on tons of extra fat you will have to burn off later. Keep your calories 500 above on a bulk and 500 below on a cut. If you find it difficult to reach a deficit add in some walking at an incline or some biking.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
I thought I’d post my workout routine. In general, my trainings are not long but quite intense (45 min). I won’t post any weight or reps because I don’t have a specific plan. I usually start with light weight and do a lot of reps. After each cycle of reps, I increase weight and lower reps. Usually I train until I must lower the weight considerably (at least I try, lol).

I used to train a lot and had a great physique, but things changed, and I stopped working out for almost 1 1/2 years. I’m back at it again (for 2 weeks)

Currently I eat 1500 kcal a day. It’s not that much but it works for me. I gained a few kilos and they must go now. As soon as I feel comfortable with the amount of fat that I have I’ll increase my diet to 2000. I count every calorie because that helps me to stay in check. I substitute snacks with fibrous fruits like kiwi (I eat the peal). This can really curb appetite or hunger. I try to consume all the vitamins and I recently started to add omega 3 and Vit D. I precook all my meals. Mostly chicken rich and protein rich vegetables. But I’m looking into alternatives. To reach the necessary protein amount I also use a protein shake. And Creatine of course.

I wake up at 4:40 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I have to go 40 min by train because the only studio that opens in the early mornings and is near me costs double of what I pay now. The others all open to late. I don’t like training when there are too many groaning, screaming retards around me that, under every circumstance, have to drop there weight from above the head.

On weekends and Friday, I wake up at 5:20

I run about 1km before almost each training.

Monday: Legs and abs.
For legs I rotate between legpress and squads, quad machine, hamstring machine (and for good measure a little bit of abductor and adductors). I finish the training with some weighted lunges. In the End I exercise my abs a bit.

Tuesday: Nothing

Wednesday: Chest

Just your normal chest exercises. I rotate between machine chest press (including inclined and declined), cable, machine and normal butterfly and dumbbell bench-press. I fucking hate normal bench press, so I don’t do it.

Thursday: Back and abs.
I rotate between cable row and lat pull down. For both exercises I do them “isolated”, one side at a time, and together. I get a pretty decent lower back workout by doing the cable rows with both hands and leaning forward while letting the weight go down. (I’ll probably include dead lifts at some point). Abs as usual.

Friday: I go running for 5km or so.

Saturday: Shoulders and neck

I rotate between shoulder press, front and lateral raise. I also include upright row (best fucking exercise). I don’t really train my back shoulders because I get those while doing the isolated lat pull downs. For the neck I stand and lean forward an do a similar motion as a dumbbell row. But with both arms at the same time and focusing more on the neck. And I don’t lean forward a much.

Sunday: Arms
Hammer and normal curls for bicep. I also do isolated curls at a machine. For triceps a mostly do triceps bar pushdown and scull crusher.
Hey buddy. I would recommend switching to PushPullLegs. It will give you some better exercise selection as well as allow you to hit some body parts twice a week rather than once. Chest and legs for example can need more volume than hitting it once a week. I also workout at a high intensity and run it on a Push Pull Legs Off Push Pull Legs Off split. Just use a 5 day split and throw it into your normal workout days. I think you would really like it and notice that its very effective.

TheCuntler

kiwifarms.net
Hey buddy. I would recommend switching to PushPullLegs. It will give you some better exercise selection as well as allow you to hit some body parts twice a week rather than once. Chest and legs for example can need more volume than hitting it once a week. I also workout at a high intensity and run it on a Push Pull Legs Off Push Pull Legs Off split. Just use a 5 day split and throw it into your normal workout days. I think you would really like it and notice that its very effective.
Mo: Legs then abs
Tue: Nothing
Wen: Chest then Triceps
Thu: Back
Fri: Running
Sat: Shoulders then Chest
Sun: Bicep then Back

Does this sound sensible? I did back twice because i want to make sure I stay up right (you know what i mean?) and leg only once because I am able to hit them the hardest imo. And I go for a run.

And thanks for the reply. I never tried this training before but it actually doesn't sound to bad.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net

Does this sound sensible? I did back twice because i want to make sure I stay up right (you know what i mean?) and leg only once because I am able to hit them the hardest imo. And I go for a run.

And thanks for the reply. I never tried this training before but it actually doesn't sound to bad.
I would try
Mon: Push (chest triceps shoulders)
Wednesday: Pull (Back Biceps)
Thursday: Legs
Sat: Push
Sun: Pull

then Monday start with Legs and repeat the cycle. So everyday won’t necessarily be the same workouts, you just maintain cycling through those workouts. See if this works for you. The hardest stretch would be the Saturday, Sunday, Monday without an off day but it’s certainly doable. If you feel like your body isn’t recovering don’t be afraid to take a day off. Always listen to your body. I modify this slightly by doing shoulders on leg day because I can hit them harder than doing shoulders and chest on the same day. This is a really popular split for people working on improving their physique and it allows 4-5 days rest between hitting the same body parts rather than a week or so. I know having an arm day is fun but this allows you to hit your arms specifically twice a week.
I am not going to get into sets and reps but I generally do something like this. Start with a exercise you can do heavy with lower reps and then do accessories lighter with more reps for a pump and to get a good stretch.

Push
Incline Bench (heavy low reps)
DB flat bench (moderate higher reps)
Cable Flies (lighter high reps, slow and controlled squeeze)
2 Tricep Exercises (I use Tricep rollbacks and rope extensions)

Pull
Barbell Row/DB Row you like (heavy)
Lat Pulldowns/Pullups
Low Row variation
(I tend to go heavier on most back work and do drop sets because I respond best to that)
2 bicep exercises (hammer curls, cable curls/concentration curls)

legs
Squats (heavy low reps)
Hamstring curls (moderate high reps to failure)
Leg Extensions (lighter to failure)
DB Shoulder Press (heavy)
Lateral Raises (moderate)
Rear Delt Flies (lighter higher reps)

This gives you good exercise variation. You can do cable lateral raises, rope rear Delts, any bicep or Tricep variation. Do heavier flat bench and lighter incline, dips, all sorts of barbell rows , use different attachments for cable pulldowns or low rows. It allows you to not get bored of the same workouts and try for PRs using new exercises. I keep track of everything and shoot for a couple more reps or 5 more pounds. Find a rep range that works for you and by the last set you should be going for failure on most exercises. Let me know what you think. Sometimes it might not fit into your schedule because I spend about 60-80 minutes at the gym. I’ve had better results with this then anything else for physique. Always listen to your body and warm up with rear Delts, rotator cuff, glute ham raises etc depending on the day. I used to never warm up and it makes a huge difference. If you’re ever feeling like you’re still exhausted but you don’t want to miss just go lighter and hit some more reps or take a day off. Any questions let me know happy to help.

TheCuntler

kiwifarms.net
I would try

then Monday start with Legs and repeat the cycle. So everyday won’t necessarily be the same workouts, you just maintain cycling through those workouts. See if this works for you. The hardest stretch would be the Saturday, Sunday, Monday without an off day but it’s certainly doable. If you feel like your body isn’t recovering don’t be afraid to take a day off. Always listen to your body. I modify this slightly by doing shoulders on leg day because I can hit them harder than doing shoulders and chest on the same day. This is a really popular split for people working on improving their physique and it allows 4-5 days rest between hitting the same body parts rather than a week or so. I know having an arm day is fun but this allows you to hit your arms specifically twice a week.
I am not going to get into sets and reps but I generally do something like this. Start with a exercise you can do heavy with lower reps and then do accessories lighter with more reps for a pump and to get a good stretch.

Push

Pull
Lat Pulldowns/Pullups
Low Row variation
(I tend to go heavier on most back work and do drop sets because I respond best to that)

legs
Squats (heavy low reps)

This gives you good exercise variation. You can do cable lateral raises, rope rear Delts, any bicep or Tricep variation. Do heavier flat bench and lighter incline, dips, all sorts of barbell rows , use different attachments for cable pulldowns or low rows. It allows you to not get bored of the same workouts and try for PRs using new exercises. I keep track of everything and shoot for a couple more reps or 5 more pounds. Find a rep range that works for you and by the last set you should be going for failure on most exercises. Let me know what you think. Sometimes it might not fit into your schedule because I spend about 60-80 minutes at the gym. I’ve had better results with this then anything else for physique. Always listen to your body and warm up with rear Delts, rotator cuff, glute ham raises etc depending on the day. I used to never warm up and it makes a huge difference. If you’re ever feeling like you’re still exhausted but you don’t want to miss just go lighter and hit some more reps or take a day off. Any questions let me know happy to help.
Thanks a lot. Ill give it a try. I'll have to look how it works out, because I never trained more then one or max. two muscle groups together on one day. I'll start the cycle tomorrow.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
I would try

Push

Pull
Lat Pulldowns/Pullups
Low Row variation

legs
Squats (heavy low reps)

And thanks for the reply. I never tried this training before but it actually doesn't sound to b
Thanks a lot. Ill give it a try. I'll have to look how it works out, because I never trained more then one or max. two muscle groups together on one day. I'll start the cycle tomorrow.
Yeah man i would give it a try. If you don’t like it you can always go back to what you like the best. The key is consistency. Whatever workout you can do without skipping days is the ideal one.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
Today my friends is leg day. Don’t skip leg day. I woke up 192 and am down from my quarantine heaviest of 208. I have over a decade of lifting experience and muscle memory has been a blessing getting back in shape. Trying to cut below 185 and see the effect on my physique and get deeper cuts in my abs. Then slowly bulk up from there.

Recently got into road biking and it’s by far my favorite form of cardio. I can burn 600 calories in about 50 minutes by just being steady and consistent. Averaging about 12 miles a day. I prefer adding cardio rather than cutting my calories significantly as I find it helps you maintain muscle mass better than just starving one’s self.

In my prime I had a 550 deadlift and 450 squat at 190 pounds. I am currently at a Planet fitness (lol) and am used to powerlifting gyms so it’s quite shitty. I have focused on just PPL and high volume work for my physique. I find powerlifting routines are ideal for beginners to maximize new strength gains and get in plenty of volume on the most important compound movements. Once you start stalling repeatedly and have enough strength to actually grow some muscle you can move on to a higher volume hypertrophy split. Starting off weak with high volume just won’t cause the same level of growth.

I am far from an elite strength athlete and never claim to be, but I am happy to shoot the shit with anyone here as I am passionate about fitness and want to keep this thread active. Let’s put in some work today.

Fucky Chucky

kiwifarms.net
I recommend doing Stronglifts over Starting Strength if you’re early in your lifting journey. I believe that form is incredibly important and 5x5 gives you 60% more volume than 3x5. Keep deadlifts 1x5. If you find that squats are too difficult to complete drop to 4x5 and then finally 3x5. I used linear progression routines such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts all the way up to a mid 400 deadlift and mid 300 squat. 3x5 just isn’t enough volume to progress reasonably on the bench press after a couple months. If your goal is aesthetics I recommend running a linear progression routine for a year or so and then transitioning to PushPullLegs. Starting off with a high volume/hypertrophy routine isn’t ideal because you won’t have the strength or conditioning to really utilize it. Remember that it’s tempting to eat a shit load and get strong as hell but dirty bulking is unnecessary and will lead to you putting on tons of extra fat you will have to burn off later. Keep your calories 500 above on a bulk and 500 below on a cut. If you find it difficult to reach a deficit add in some walking at an incline or some biking.
I can see why this workout routine could yield better gains but I've been out of the game for a while.
I'm not in competition and I will tolerate no possibility of injury.
I'm going to do this program until I plateau but this looks like a fun runner up, there's nothing wrong with picking up a more challenging program when this one is done. Thanks' for the heads up I'll look into it.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Who Wants a Body Massage?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've personally found I like and respond well to higher volume 'pump' work. Think what was going on in the Golden Age, they really tried to force as much blood into the muscles as they could, hence the pump.
My workouts are usually 4 exercises a body part, depends on the body part, with 4 sets that start at 14 or so and I up the weight so eventually it gets to 8 to 6 reps. This really builds a huge pump, and on my second and third exercises I bring in intensity techniques like Dropsets or Supersets with the same muscle, all that fun stuff. Then on my last exercises, I use a movement that really stretches the muscle like a Preacher Bench Curl or Dumbbell Flies.
Legs and back are a little different, because they're complex muscle groups with a lot of moments they're responsible for, but the basics are the same.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
I've personally found I like and respond well to higher volume 'pump' work. Think what was going on in the Golden Age, they really tried to force as much blood into the muscles as they could, hence the pump.
My workouts are usually 4 exercises a body part, depends on the body part, with 4 sets that start at 14 or so and I up the weight so eventually it gets to 8 to 6 reps. This really builds a huge pump, and on my second and third exercises I bring in intensity techniques like Dropsets or Supersets with the same muscle, all that fun stuff. Then on my last exercises, I use a movement that really stretches the muscle like a Preacher Bench Curl or Dumbbell Flies.
Legs and back are a little different, because they're complex muscle groups with a lot of moments they're responsible for, but the basics are the same.
I am doing something really similar to you. I have developed a base strength over the years as I was doing powerlifting training the first 6 or so years of my training. I just never developed a great chest and my back and legs were over developed compared to my chest arms and shoulders so I am doing some hypertrophy work to get things more in line. I enjoy it though. I’ll start off with a heavy compound and work in some accessories in the 8-15 rep range and my last sets I’m hitting failure on most exercises. Really brings the intensity to a peak and I have had good results.

Red Thief

Na-na-na-na-na!
kiwifarms.net
Pivoting into bodybuilding style lifts myself for a while. Finally broke the 500lb deadlift barrier for myself last month, tried to just keep going up on the big 3 and my body is really not feeling it. I'm not even really excited to hit the weights right now. But I figure a few weeks of pump chasing plus training for this toughman contest I signed up for will put my mind right, and then it's back to the big weights.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
Pivoting into bodybuilding style lifts myself for a while. Finally broke the 500lb deadlift barrier for myself last month, tried to just keep going up on the big 3 and my body is really not feeling it. I'm not even really excited to hit the weights right now. But I figure a few weeks of pump chasing plus training for this toughman contest I signed up for will put my mind right, and then it's back to the big weights.
Once I got above 500 pound deadlifts I noticed that my CNS took much longer to recover. I had to back down to once a week compared to every 5 days or so. At most I would have a Max effort day consisting of triples or doubles and then a lighter day deadlifting from a 2-3 inch deficit or pulling sumo to get some variations in. You can also do speed work with bands etc. One max effort squat day and one max effort deadlift day can get difficult to recover from once we get into those numbers especially if diet and sleep are not dialed in. Keep it up bro. 5 Plate deadlift is when I first felt like I was legit strong and it’s impressive to all normies.

Coelacanth

Your local living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
Finally graduated from lifting 2.5kg to 5kg. It feels surprisingly good to slightly get the soreness I got when I first started lifting again.

Something I wasn't expecting to happen was to find someone else who also does lifting. Turns out the fitness instructor my Mom goes to lifts weights so she and I got together and she gave me some advice on how to improve my routine. Feels good, man.

ChadThunderfist

kiwifarms.net
Finally graduated from lifting 2.5kg to 5kg. It feels surprisingly good to slightly get the soreness I got when I first started lifting again.

Something I wasn't expecting to happen was to find someone else who also does lifting. Turns out the fitness instructor my Mom goes to lifts weights so she and I got together and she gave me some advice on how to improve my routine. Feels good, man.
If you need any advice ask in this thread I have a decade of functional strength training experience. Just say what your goals are, your current experience, and the number of days you go to the gym and I can develop something productive towards your goals. Sounds like you’re just getting started so you will make progress and significant gains regardless of what you do. Remember the best workout plan is the one you complete consistently

RandyLahey

shit storm
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Today my friends is leg day. Don’t skip leg day. I woke up 192 and am down from my quarantine heaviest of 208. I have over a decade of lifting experience and muscle memory has been a blessing getting back in shape. Trying to cut below 185 and see the effect on my physique and get deeper cuts in my abs. Then slowly bulk up from there.

Recently got into road biking and it’s by far my favorite form of cardio. I can burn 600 calories in about 50 minutes by just being steady and consistent. Averaging about 12 miles a day. I prefer adding cardio rather than cutting my calories significantly as I find it helps you maintain muscle mass better than just starving one’s self.

In my prime I had a 550 deadlift and 450 squat at 190 pounds. I am currently at a Planet fitness (lol) and am used to powerlifting gyms so it’s quite shitty. I have focused on just PPL and high volume work for my physique. I find powerlifting routines are ideal for beginners to maximize new strength gains and get in plenty of volume on the most important compound movements. Once you start stalling repeatedly and have enough strength to actually grow some muscle you can move on to a higher volume hypertrophy split. Starting off weak with high volume just won’t cause the same level of growth.

I am far from an elite strength athlete and never claim to be, but I am happy to shoot the shit with anyone here as I am passionate about fitness and want to keep this thread active. Let’s put in some work today.
I agree. Heavy Squating and deadlifting are super underrated, they are needed for every type of athletic endeavor. If you wanna get big then squat, if you wanna be a better runner you need to squat, guys who want to look good need to squat heavy.

Last edited:

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
If you need any advice ask in this thread I have a decade of functional strength training experience. Just say what your goals are, your current experience, and the number of days you go to the gym and I can develop something productive towards your goals. Sounds like you’re just getting started so you will make progress and significant gains regardless of what you do. Remember the best workout plan is the one you complete consistently
What’s a good place to start? Right now I’m doing some basic dumbbell exercises (basic arm/back exercises and squats) maxing out at about 25lb 2-3 times a week and walking/jogging 5km every day but I want to shed a bit of weight (~200lb right now, wanna get to around 185) and want to try something a bit harder. Main thing putting me off is a complete lack of any experience with more advanced weightlifting so some firsthand perspective would be nice.