• ”He's fat! I'm thin!”

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Art & Literature' started by AtroposHeart, Jun 18, 2013.

1. I love books about urban legends. There's so many good ones.

Oscar Wildean

Oscar Wildean Stephen Fry's gonna take some think-twink's ass.

kiwifarms.is
  2. I ordered a few books of the True to life Hamilton High stories because I wanted to reread a few of the ones I loved as a teenager and read a few of the ones that I never got to read. They've been pretty good so far.

Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.is
  3. Brunvand's books on the subject are pretty great. Big on the analysis and how an urban legend spreads in popularity and changes from place to place. Although it's also a product of its time (this one was written in the 80's) and still insists on applying Freudian analysis and terminology.

• Like Like x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow Literal wasteland ghoul, boss

kiwifarms.is
  4. I just finished reading River in Darkness by Masaji Ishikawa, another North Korean defector. This one happened to be a half-Korean, half-Japanese whose father was tricked into repatriating to North Korea from Japan. This is probably one of the only North Korea memoirs I've read that doesn't have the obligatory "the state made us give them our poo" paragraph(s). Instead, toward the end, we're treated to Ishikawa talking about the acorn-induced constipation prevalent through the famine in the 90s ("You have to shove your finger in your anus and scoop out the concrete shit", he writes). Not the most interesting book aside from that.

I'm currently reading The Stars between the Sun and Moon by Lucia Jang. Not deep enough into it to say anything more than her childhood was absolute shit, mostly because of her family's abuse rather than the general shittiness of being a child in a North Korean family with low songbun. I've a feeling that'll happen pretty soon.

TheAmazingAxolotl

TheAmazingAxolotl Meglio fascista che frocio.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
  5. My two copies of Blood Meridian and American Terrorist: Timothy Mcveigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing should arrive here soon.

Is it possible to read 2 books concurrently? Keep in mind I've rarely read books before because I lacked interest in them growing up, but now the interest in reading them got me excited, so since No Country For Old Men is one of my favorite films, the author in question got me interested in reading books.

For the other book in question, I'm just fascinated with Timothy Mcveigh and the bombing.

Edit:

Copy of Blood Meridian came by today. Fucking introduction to the book spoiled the fucking book for me, thanks asshole.

#1125 Zaragoza, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Zaragoza

Zaragoza Gotta Get A Grip

kiwifarms.is
  6. Plum in the Golden Vase. A Chinese Classic that is basically just Ancient Chinese NSFW Water Margin Erotic Fanfiction.

firestoopscience

firestoopscience Ancient Chinese Sex God/ Maker of Fake Walls.

kiwifarms.is
  7. I'm reading this thread dummy. /s

But seriously I'm reading this book called Nothing to Envy. It's a recollection of stories from North Korean defectors about their lives during the 90s famine and how they defected to the South.

d12

d12 What a thrill...

kiwifarms.is
  8. After finishing Demons I'll have completed all 5 of Dostoevsky's great novels

9. I'm getting close to finishing American Terrorist, I'm real disappointed they omitted the execution of Timothy Mcveigh, but then again the authors who co wrote the book weren't allowed in his execution and the book was released a few months before his execution. This book is incredibly engaging especially in the chapter where it focuses on the media circus surrounding his capture and the personal effects it had on his family.

I also ordered a couple more books, The Foundation Trilogy, Ghosts of Onyx, Starship Troopers and Ender's Game.

Zaragoza

kiwifarms.is
  10. Bruce Catton's "The Civil War". It's excellent and authoritative despite being close to 60 years old (granted, shocking new information about that conflict is unlikely to come out in that time). It's also RIDICULOUSLY dense, it has so many things going on (it covers the leadup, the conflict and some of the aftermath in ~300 pages!) and I'm taking notes to keep track of people and dates.

The Shadow

kiwifarms.is
  11. Ive been studying the art of war and the book of five rings

the autist of dojima

the autist of dojima JUDGEMENT.HAS COME.TO YOU

kiwifarms.is
  12. I finished Still Alice, which was an interesting fictional read on Alzheimer's. Now I'm getting back into reading the Diary Of Anne Frank.

Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.is
  13. Taking a break from studying the blade?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    The Shadow

kiwifarms.is
  14. Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

kiwifarms.is
  15. American Terrorist sounds kinda cool, or anything about the OKC bombing in particular. That was a god damn sad event, but just seeing how insane McVeigh was has always interested me. I don't know, maybe just psychopaths make me wonder what's going on inside of there.

I've been to the museum/memorial in Oklahoma City, as a matter of fact. Very touching and beautiful place to visit, definitely go if you're ever in OKC.

Give Her The D

Give Her The D LOTTERLY A SHATPEST

kiwifarms.is
  16. I recently finished reading 'Without Conscience' by Dr. Robert D. Hare, the man behind the Hare Psychopathy Checklist. It offers a glimpse of psychopaths, how they are the way they are, some experiences with them, how they function, and how to spot them. It's rather insightful, especially if you're into psychology. There's one part where it discusses a politician having his lies exposed by a journalist, and people were still ensnared by him.

As for the next books, I plan to finish up '1984' and start on 'The Republic of Pirates' by Colin Woodard.

Shway

Shway Rounding up illegal space aliens.

kiwifarms.is
  17. I just finished reading the book, he wasn't insane and didn't suffer from any mental disorders growing up, in fact when you read as to how normal, compassion and empathetic he was to his fellow soldiers, animals and random passersby throughout the book, you begin to wonder as to what happened to THAT Timothy McVeigh than the one in April 19, 1995. His intentions for the bombing was to fight back against the federal government for what they did at Ruby Ridge and Waco, he hated how they operated and legitimately believed in that he was fighting the good fight. That's the scary part about Timothy Mcveigh. Though I highly recommend picking up the book if you're interested in reading more about him. Now, I'm off to read less depressing shit after reading that and Blood Meridian. : )

Zaragoza

kiwifarms.is
  18. The Shahnamah by Ferdowsi.

soy_king

soy_king Now with 1000% more estrogen!

kiwifarms.is
  19. Starship Troopers

• Like Like x 1
    Zaragoza

kiwifarms.is
  20. comics : batman court of owls
    books : games people play by eric berne
    Dune by frank herbert
    the will to keep winning by daigo
    rereading : the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
    manga : i dunno im not interested in anything rn

• Like Like x 1
    Zack the ripper

Zack the ripper Super villain

kiwifarms.is
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.