What are you reading right now? -

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Motherless Brooklyn. A friend talked me into seeing the movie when it comes out because they're a big Ed Norton fan, then I remembered I own a copy of the book, so I'm preparing.

Reactions: Oscar Wildean
P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
My dad lent me his copy of Lord Foulgrin's Letters by Randy Alcorn wanting me to read it and discuss it with him.

Not terribly impressed with it. It's basically a modern (well, late 90s modern) version of The Screwtape Letters, which was a much better book. Alcorn is no C.S Lewis, his prose is bipolar, going from incredibly wooden and stilted to incredibly over the top exaggerated. His ideas are hamfistedly inserted, promoting a very specific sect of Christianity I'm not very fond of (southern Baptism) this has been a swing and a miss so far. Maybe a young teen could get something from it, but not an adult.

• Winner
Reactions: Arm Pit Cream

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
I started off on 1Q84 by Murakami. I like his style, just don't care for how often he writes about banging married women or cheating in general. I couldn't finish South of the Border, East of the Sun, I felt bad for Yukiko.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Murakami had wrecked homes before, he loves married women.

I'm kinda getting into Robert Reed ATM. I've read a whole bunch of short stories (a lot are available online, check out Cremulator for instance), and am at the beginning of his Great Ship series now.

Random questions for those who have read them:

whatcha think of Malazan?

Assassin's apprentice?

I've very new to fantasy. Recommend me something if you like.

TheRedRanger

kiwifarms.net
Selected Works of Kim Il Sung, Vol. 1.
Bought it out of curiosity a while ago, but never got round to actually reading it. It's pretty much what you'd expect, page after page of dense text repeating itself over and over with any substance there may be buried under waffle.
The portrait of The Great Leader in the front even has a little crepe paper protector. Still pondering whether or not to teabag it...

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Currently reading the lighthearted romp known as Gravity's Rainbow.

To quote Richard Nixon: "What?"
I found it went from nearly excruciating to read in the first hundred pages or so to interesting in the next hundred, to utterly compelling. It's a pain in the ass to read but well worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: la mort
P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
Baby's First Book of Seriously Fucked Up Shit. Anthology of weird fiction. Almost finished with it. It's about a 50/50 split on pretty interesting and good stories and ones that were either clumsily written or too tryhard and edgy just for the sake of being edgy.

Reactions: Oscar Wildean

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I found it went from nearly excruciating to read in the first hundred pages or so to interesting in the next hundred, to utterly compelling. It's a pain in the ass to read but well worth it.
I've given up trying to glean a comprehensible story, and I'm reading it more for the prose at this point.

The 8 of Spades

Pay No Attention To The ♂ Behind The Glassy Smirk
kiwifarms.net
Working my way through Brashear's The desolation of reality and Edgar Saltus's The philosophy of disenchantment.

Desolation of reality:

In the temper of Pascal and Unamuano, this is an original study in perspective and what the author refers to as the -ultimate frame of reference- - the infinite backdrop to all that is and seems. In the context of this always receding periphery Brashear sets and appraises the human condition and views in this widest of perspectives two of the most prominent notions or fictions influencing the course and evolution of -civilized order-, namely the -pursuit of freedom- and -the pursuit of happiness-. Against the emptiness of the desolation to which this probing leads he recommends that the wise man wear mental bifocals, looking alternately at the near and at the far, and that he adopt a stance of -tragic humanism- in which man's absolute insignificance is acknowledged but not accepted."

Philosophy of disenchantment:

"
The trite and commonplace question of contentment and dissatisfaction is a topic which is not only of every-day interest, but one which in recent years has so claimed the attention of thinkers, that they have broadly divided mankind into those who accept life offhand, as a more or less pleasing possession, and those who resolutely look the gift in the mouth and say it is not worth the having."

"The doctrine of Epicurus held, in substance, that the moment it was no longer possible to delight the senses death became a benefit, and suicide a crowning act of wisdom."

I'm rather fond of pessimistic/suicidalist philosophy and to make things easier on the Saltus text:

Edit: I've been thinking of making a thread about this type of work but I don't know if anyone else cares lol.

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Arm Pit Cream

Parson Weebs

Plus Ultra (further beyond)
kiwifarms.net
Ronald Hutton's The History of the Druids in Britain. It's an interesting book on mysticism and the (mis-?)use of the past to address contemporary political and religious concerns.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of books that are excruciating to read, try Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard. Many years ago, thought I'd give it a shot. Bought book in paperback. Couldn't even get fifty pages before I chucked the thing into the trash. Been reading seemingly forever. Believe that's the first book I just quit reading and tossed.

Presently reading Seoul Man, by Frank Ahrens. Ahrens worked as one of the head PR guys for Hyundai Motors at their Seoul headquarters while his wife worked at the U.S. Embassy in that city. He has some interesting observations how Korean companies and white-collar employees work and interact compared to US companies. Am also reading She Chose to Feel Nothing, book of poetry by R.H. Sin. Sin writes short poems that say big things. While most of Sin's poems are intended for women, when you substitute the word man for woman, the poems apply to men just as well.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of books that are excruciating to read, try Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard. Many years ago, thought I'd give it a shot. Bought book in paperback. Couldn't even get fifty pages before I chucked the thing into the trash. Been reading seemingly forever. Believe that's the first book I just quit reading and tossed.
Pynchon eventually rewards you for the effort put in, though, even in the arguably more difficult to read Mason and Dixon.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino