Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime originals series) - It looks exactly like you expect

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

vern

kiwifarms.net
OK I watched the first episode, and I hate it.
Most of the character has been changed in such a way that undermines their character arc. Matt is the only good person of a broken home, Perrin has a wife who he kills in a stupid manner (fuck off Sanderson it would of been even more stupid if it was Luhhan instead, I hope amazon shits on your cosmere next), and I think its implied that Nynaeve isn't from the two rivers. The rest I can't remember anything noteworthy aside from a dumb subplots about "the wisdom can't marry" with Rand and Egwene and an awkward bath scene with Lan and Moraine because nudity.
Of course everything is diverse because its current year (and disregarding that fact that the two rivers is supposed to be quite conservative) but what bugs me the most about is they could feasibly argue that there is already diversity in the books. Off the top of my head the sea folk are straight up blacks that can swim, Domani all have coppery skin, and I remember some discussion whether or not Illianer have an olive complexation because the city is heavily based on Greece. Also how many wanna bet the Seanchan will have racism undertones overtones because muh slavery and muh chains, and if so how to you think they'll handle Tuon.
They even managed to fuck up little things like Emond's Field being a mountain village which iirc is 1-2 days ride from the mountains and Rands/Tams sword A; being a rather shitty looking katana B; not having any heron's on the hilt (something something marked)

But the biggest thing that rubs me the wrong way is I think they are setting up a big "subvert expectations" moment
I think they might make someone else be the Dragon Reborn instead of Rand, specifically Nynaeve because of 3 reasons:
1. The Dragon can be either reborn as a man or woman now
2. There are know 4 Ta'veren instead of 3, so Egwene or Nynaeve is one now
3. they added that implied line that Nynaeve was born outside the two rivers but removed Tams delirious confession when he gets injured
I'm split on this, on one this is the single worst thing they could ever do to the series, on the other even the most dedicated consoomers would be pissed with only the most brain dead secondaries not caring.

Edit: just found out an interesting rumor, amazon might be taking down the audiobook version read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading off audible in favor of having Rosamund Pike read the entire series in the future. They probably won't but its Amazon so you never know.

Last edited:

Allanon

kiwifarms.net
OK I watched the first episode, and I hate it.
Most of the character has been changed in such a way that undermines their character arc. Matt is the only good person of a broken home, Perrin has a wife who he kills in a stupid manner (fuck off Sanderson it would of been even more stupid if it was Luhhan instead, I hope amazon shits on your cosmere next), and I think its implied that Nynaeve isn't from the two rivers. The rest I can't remember anything noteworthy aside from a dumb subplots about "the wisdom can't marry" with Rand and Egwene and an awkward bath scene with Lan and Moraine because nudity.
Of course everything is diverse because its current year (and disregarding that fact that the two rivers is supposed to be quite conservative) but what bugs me the most about is they could feasibly argue that there is already diversity in the books. Off the top of my head the sea folk are straight up blacks that can swim, Domani all have coppery skin, and I remember some discussion whether or not Illianer have an olive complexation because the city is heavily based on Greece. Also how many wanna bet the Seanchan will have racism undertones overtones because muh slavery and muh chains, and if so how to you think they'll handle Tuon.
They even managed to fuck up little things like Emond's Field being a mountain village which iirc is 1-2 days ride from the mountains and Rands/Tams sword A; being a rather shitty looking katana B; not having any heron's on the hilt (something something marked)

But the biggest thing that rubs me the wrong way is I think they are setting up a big "subvert expectations" moment
I think they might make someone else be the Dragon Reborn instead of Rand, specifically Nynaeve because of 3 reasons:
1. The Dragon can be either reborn as a man or woman now
2. There are know 4 Ta'veren instead of 3, so Egwene or Nynaeve is one now
3. they added that implied line that Nynaeve was born outside the two rivers but removed Tams delirious confession when he gets injured
I'm split on this, on one this is the single worst thing they could ever do to the series, on the other even the most dedicated consoomers would be pissed with only the most brain dead secondaries not caring.

Edit: just found out an interesting rumor, amazon might be taking down the audiobook version read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading off audible in favor of having Rosamund Pike read the entire series in the future. They probably won't but its Amazon so you never know.
Wheel of Time has plenty of diversity. However, they're all in clearly defined cultures that Jordan consciously switched up from what their physical appearances would suggest for real world cultures. Aiel are Mongols + Native Americans and look like Vikings, Lan's people have a Japanese-esque culture and a white-European look, another culture has a more white-European culture and look Japanese, the Seanchan are the world-conquering slavers and black, The Tinkers who are Gypsies/Romani and have a similar reputation to those are an off-shoot of Aiel. Etc etc. All the diversity and mixed colors you could want are in the world, they're just put together in a thoughtful world-building fantasy sense. The show ignores this completely because that's not good enough for the show runners, and instead just made everyone brown and black no matter whether it makes sense.

It's possible they could make Egwene or Nynaeve the Dragon, but it honestly would take so much rewriting to change the Dragon from who it should be that it's really unlikely. Maybe if they were making a movie or something, which would require so much cutting that it might as well be a short story 'inspired by' the novels, I could see them making a switch like that...but with a tv show they allegedly think they can run for 8 seasons and try to cover an abridged version of the whole series...you just can't.

Honka Honka Burning Love

I am the Clownvis..Honk Honk Ba Donk.
kiwifarms.net
Aiel are Mongols + Native Americans and look like Vikings,
Aiel got some Irish in em to, also a bit of Jews because of the whole 13 Tribes.

It's possible they could make Egwene or Nynaeve the Dragon, but it honestly would take so much rewriting to change the Dragon from who it should be that it's really unlikely.
I don't think it is possible, are they dumb enough to do it Yes..but a Female dragon wouldn't have to deal with the taint, which has quite a few effects downstream.

Dante Alighieri

"Nature is the art of God."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly for anyone who wants to get into the books, I whole heartedly suggest the Kate Redding/Micheal Kramer audio books. Being able to listen to it helps get through...the slow portions.
Those two did an amazing job with it.

Foltest

Land ska med lag byggas
kiwifarms.net
I have only seen the first episode and so far, I am... annoyed by the changes they have made.
first thing first, the diviersty casting of two rivers. One of the thing that made Rand stand out, was that he looked diffrent from all the other. Now, that everyone look fucking diffrent, what is the point!
Second, it is called two rivers. Why is it a mountain village!?
Third, the sword looks like shit. It look just like a regular katana.
fouth, Why give Perrin a wife if she is going to die in the first episode.
fifth, implying that Egwene and Nynaeve are also "the dragon reborn" is stupid as fuck. I don't need to expand on this.
Here are some good points.
The actors who play Lan is good.
The magic looks awesome and Pike is great in the role.
having gore is good.
Trollocs looks good enough.
The filming is nice.

So.... Will I watch more of the show? Yes but so far, I am not liking it.

vern

kiwifarms.net
The magic looks awesome and Pike is great in the role.
I'll agree on Pike (one thing I forgot to mention I kinda liked was a quick scene where they implied she was too short to mount her horse so Lan had to help he which is quiet fitting for Moraine), but I'm split on the magic since on one hand only other channelers of the same gender should be able to see the weaves, but on the other I can think of several fights that if you couldn't see the weaves would literally just be two people staring at each other.

Honka Honka Burning Love

kiwifarms.net
I'll agree on Pike (one thing I forgot to mention I kinda liked was a quick scene where they implied she was too short to mount her horse so Lan had to help he which is quiet fitting for Moraine), but I'm split on the magic since on one hand only other channelers of the same gender should be able to see the weaves, but on the other I can think of several fights that if you couldn't see the weaves would literally just be two people staring at each other.
The watcher seeing the weaves is pretty much needed, especially later on when we get characters doing nothing but big weaves for certain major events.

However..I really wish they would have added tints to the weaves so the audience could tell "This is Air + Fire" "This is Air + Earth" "This is pure spirit"

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
Considering WoT came out when American comics and cartoon alone had already at the very minimum done color coding for elemental and light and dark magic, and not!magic expies. By this point of time and especially after AtLB, no color coding reeks of laziness and cheapness.

Honka Honka Burning Love

kiwifarms.net
Considering WoT came out when American comics and cartoon alone had already at the very minimum done color coding for elemental and light and dark magic, and not!magic expies. By this point of time and especially after AtLB, no color coding reeks of laziness and cheapness.
Well in the books it is irrelevant, It would just be a nice visual indicator.

Edit : There is a New episode tomorrow isn't there?

Light kill me now.

Last edited:

Allanon

kiwifarms.net
In the books they always identify which weaves are being used, so a visual indicator of what weaves are being used should be included in any visual medium. Color coding isn't entirely necessary, but at least something that indicates it would be best. It will avoid a bunch of exposition that would otherwise be required, where channelers would need to constantly announce for the audience what weaves they're using in key scenes.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Those two did an amazing job with it.

Format: M4B
Bitrate: 64 Kbps
Unabridged
M4B is proprietary to Apple. No clue how to get applefag files to play, sadly. 😟

BigThaiGreenCurry

kiwifarms.net
In the books they always identify which weaves are being used, so a visual indicator of what weaves are being used should be included in any visual medium. Color coding isn't entirely necessary, but at least something that indicates it would be best. It will avoid a bunch of exposition that would otherwise be required, where channelers would need to constantly announce for the audience what weaves they're using in key scenes.
This might be done into the future, remember they haven't actually described the power in detail yet in the show. We are 'spoilt' because of our understanding of the source material.

Playing devils advocate, you could argue that its clear she manipulated fire, and air/lightning, and 'spirit' in the first few episodes. Not seeing the makeup of the weave could be irrelevant given you can see the effect.

Allanon

kiwifarms.net
This might be done into the future, remember they haven't actually described the power in detail yet in the show. We are 'spoilt' because of our understanding of the source material.

Playing devils advocate, you could argue that its clear she manipulated fire, and air/lightning, and 'spirit' in the first few episodes. Not seeing the makeup of the weave could be irrelevant given you can see the effect.
Maybe, but a visual signifier should still be there even before it's explained to the uninformed what it is they're looking at. Changing it would be strange, because it's not the characters seeing the weaves, it's the viewer. It would admittedly be a kind of neat if gimmicky thing to do if we were strictly looking through the eyes of a character, and as their understanding of the world increases, things become visually easier for the viewer to understand too, but that's obviously not the case here. It's also not always apparent in effect what weave is being used. The fixing for gentling/stilling involves complex weaves with random elements that are 'unexpected' in healing. Visually it probably won't change much as long as they go hard on the visual 'weaving' for complex things like that, but being able to identify the elements will still cut down on a bunch of exposition due to show vs tell.

It's important to note that they have to find ways to cut down as much as possible without losing key information and events, because WoT is 4.4 million words long and they're only planning between 50-64 hours of television for it. By comparison, Harry Potter is only 1 million words long and the movies are 20 hours in total and cut out entire plotlines and characters from the books, sometimes almost gutting them. It would take closer to 80 hours of tv to do the same amount of coverage of WoT that the Harry Potter movies did of the books. (LOTR which is about 11 hours is adapting a trilogy that is only 576k words including all the random singing in it, and it cut out a big chunk of the ending.)

I mean we already see they're absolutely wasting their time cutting out huge chunks of the story and adding pointless nonsense fluff as it is, so the adaption is only going to get worse as time constraints hit - GoT s8 style - but there's still no excuse for setting yourself up for pointless yet necessary exposition in the future.

Honka Honka Burning Love

kiwifarms.net
Now I am not trying to "ACTUALLY" here, but Lightning is Fire + Air.

I am not saying that to be a dick, but to show that it is easy to miss out on something this early..what happens when we start getting the real complicated weaves getting used in battle.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
So Episode 4 happened, and I have thoughts.
-Wait, so the aes seadi are color-coded? Like, straight up Lantern Corps shit? I assume there's some extra-exceptional Deepest Lore reason for all of this.
-Mat and Rand remain the most likable characters. Rand reminds me of an anime protagonist a bit.
-Perrin and Egwyne's subplot with the gypsies is going fucking nowhere. At least Perrin got to do some smithing, which seems like something they should have established in episode 1 instead of introducing then immediately killing his smith wife.
-Tom is officially just Aragorn who trained Performance instead of Survival. As far as him holding off the nazgul fade while Rand and Mat escape, that quote comes to mind: "a dynamic character with the ability to survive certain death, dying in a questionable scene that conveniently leaves no body? Face it, we'll never see him again."
-I'm surprised they killed the kids. Breaking genre convention at least in that aspect is the one area where this show has been able to consistently catch me off-guard.
-The CGI for the Dark One (I assume that's him) looks like it came off my PS3.
-This series is desperately in need of some female villains, given that they introduced then killed off the false dragon and his entire faction in the span of one fucking episode.
-Remember the last episode of the Witcher, where there's this whole build-up for the battle, skirmishing back and forth, the mages start strong but get outmanuvered at several key junctures? Remember the tension rising as their plan slowly starts to come apart, their numbers start to dwindle, and they start running out of gas? Remember how they make key tactical mistakes that cost them dearly? Well, keep remembering that, because you sure as shit aren't getting a repeat performance here. Here, the aes saedi and their warders abandon their encampment for a special-effects-budget-saving melee scrum in a foggy wood, the absolute worst position to be a bunch of powerful but squishy wizards against a vastly numerically superior force. Then they win anyways despite the fact that they've taken on every disadvantage and have to split their forces while the fighting is underway.
-The end implies that healer chick whose name I can't remember we're only four episodes in and FUCK are there a lot of characters is the Dragon, which 1) makes no sense considering the timeline (the Dragon is supposed to be a specific age) and 2) if true, WOW is Morraine dogshit at her job. Remember that scene I said felt like it was missing from episode 1, where you get some insight into how Morraine (and basically the entire rest of the planet, it would seem) learns who the potential Dragons are? Yeah, we really, really need some clarification on this point now.

Honestly I think this was one of the better episodes outside of the aes saedi parts. It let the characters character a bit, which this show desperately needs. It's starting to feel sort of empty though, given that there's no mid-level threats- everything is either "some random dude who gets summarily dispatched" or "literal Satan whose rising will end the fucking universe."