• ”i don't generally think of horses as being sexual-looking, but that could be just me”
  1. I'm live with the Ralph Retort and Nick Rekieta to talk about Chris.

Would you change for your loved one?If a person you love ask you to change fundamental aspects of your personality would you do it?

Discussion in 'Deep Thoughts' started by Indigo! the color, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:02 PM.

Forum Guidelines

This forum is for deep thoughts and more serious discussion. Please be mindful when challenging someone's opinions and beliefs.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards.
    1. If a person you love ask you to change fundamental aspects of your personality in order to be with her/him, would you do it?

I'm not talking of the slowly changes that occur naturally that can be seen as personal growth (like be more patient or to appreaciate the small things and such). I'm talking about "change x aspect of your personality or we broke up".

• 🤔 Thunkful x 3
      • Feels Feels x 2
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
      Indigo! the color

Indigo! the color Triggered by other shades of blue.

kiwifarms.is
    2. No. You love someone for who they are, on a core level. We may wish change or improvement from a partner friend etc, but it's whom they are deep down.

We are living fucking breathing humans, not projects or toys to change. I've been in healthy and unhealthy relationships, loving someone for who they could be is the most painful thing you can do to yourself, and in many ways a partner. Because you love the idea of them more than them in reality.

It's absolutely ego and heart crushing to be on the side of being "loved" for whom you could be.

We change as people in our lives and as we have a life, but maybe you don't like loud noises anymore and don't go to concerts a favorite passed time, you still love that person for whom they are deep down their core. It's rare peoples true selves 180 or change even 20 degrees. While people change all the time.

I can safely say now, because I've had to do it, if you gave me that ultimatum, I'd be myself, and since I'm a caring person and like to help, pack your shit up and get you out of my fucking house.

I hope I don't come off like billy badass, or preachy but if someone says you can't say X or watch sports anymore etc or we are done, they don't love you. Sit them down talk to them, and figure if this can be fixed because life is short don't be with someone who doesn't love you. If no one loves you, you probably just are an awful person, with absurd standards as birds of a shit feather even flock.

• Winner  x 9
      •  x 2
      • Semper Fidelis  x 1
      • Feels  x 1
      • Optimistic  x 1
      Bassomatic

Bassomatic Scribe of the loveshies
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    3. I suppose it depends on how you view that aspect of your own personality. If you view it as a flaw, it could be a good motivator for you to change it. If not, it gets more complicated.

It also depends on how much that particular thing actually affects the other person. If they're just trying to exert control over you then that's no good. If it bothers them somehow then maybe it's worth considering?

Really, without an idea of the type of personality aspect you are talking about, it's really hard to say. But if someone's willing to use your relationship as leverage against you that's already a bad sign. But then if it's because you're shooting up heroin instead of taking care of your kid, it's not so unreasonable.

Now I'm going to throw out a wild guess, based on the forum we are on. I imagine the personality aspect is either that you play video games too much, or you watch too much titty anime.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    4. If it was affecting them and myself negativity... Like alcoholism or something, maybe?

If it's something I like about myself and it doesn't hurt me, no.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
      Okkervils

Okkervils Cat nips are great, I love all eight

kiwifarms.is
    5. Relevant music.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Feels Feels x 2
      • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
      The Shadow

The Shadow You're no daisy! No daisy at all!

kiwifarms.is
    6. The way you've phrased it, no. If I were demonstrating harmful behavior (abuse/neglect/laziness/being withholding) to either of us or the relationship as a whole, then that ultimatum would be founded. Otherwise, I wouldn't change, nor would I want to continue in a relationship with someone who demanded I change my actual personality on a dime. I'd actually be confused about why they entered the relationship in the first place if they didn't appreciate the base elements of who I am.

• Agree Agree x 7
      Golly

Golly [warbles internally]
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    7. Lmao.

Don't get me wrong pls, I think change it's necessary for any relationship but, that type of change come naturally as one gets wiser. And yes, being an alcoholic or a crack addict is a good reason for an ultimatum, I completely agree with you on that.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      #7 Indigo! the color, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:52 PM
      Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM
      Indigo! the color

kiwifarms.is
    8. Since you are gonna power level, what's wrong with it in his eyes? Often people are drawn to the other side, as long as stable, I mean like he should really enjoy your artistic and emotional side as long as you don't smother him with it.

Just because you are into drawing and express your feelings, what's different core wise? Does he see these as a big enough split?

Unless you two are not communicating how your differences are a split and not a strength, or there's more on the table (and while I'm quite happy to help people, don't post it here for god sake this still is KF) what's the difference?

Think of it this way, don't be a head in the cloud flower child, but embrace those sides of you, and don't let him be a cold Prussian father but work together on it. A house is much better when a Mason and a carpenter work together but not so much when the mason has to hammer nails you dig?

• Agree Agree x 4
      Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    9. A good partner encourages you to be your best self. If they're asking you to change a behavior that does no real harm to anyone or the relationship-- dump them.

However if the behavior obstructs the relationship or harms others (an addiction, irresponsibility etc.) it's time for some introspection.

• Agree Agree x 7
      Cripple

Cripple kiwi faggot enabler

kiwifarms.is
    10. Yup, I hate to pw but I thought it would give more context. Anyway, I woul love to see what people had to say about this topic. Also I think the question can be applied to all kind of intimate relationships, like siblings, friends, ect.

• Agree Agree x 2
      Indigo! the color

kiwifarms.is
    11. No, because I fear change. And fuck other people and their expectations.

Either join me in my desire to form Right Wing Death Squads or be destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feels Feels x 1
      PantsFreeZone

PantsFreeZone Smartest monkey on the spinning space rock

kiwifarms.is
    12. Fuck no. I’d tell the bitch to suck a bag of nuts.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Feels Feels x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      drtoboggan

drtoboggan Please, call me Mantis.

kiwifarms.is
    13. I do think it applies to all but both from your first post, and when you expanded on it, it was kinda clearly about S/Os. SOs are a bit different as we often seek other side of the coin while friends etc start from sharing hobbies and all. Not to say we don't see eye to eye on lots of things with friends.

But what if that's what you are fighting about she's not doing just that?

• Agree Agree x 4
      Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    14. I'd slap her and tell her to get me another beer or else I'll get the belt out again.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Feels Feels x 2
      kiwifarms.is
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Feels Feels x 2
      Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    16. We fought about it for a few days until she finally realized it was unfair to force me to get genital reduction surgery just so we could finally share a king bed.

• Winner Winner x 9
      • Feels Feels x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      Testaclese Maximus

Testaclese Maximus has a full line of chainsaws
      True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.is
    17. Ah, so they don't want you to be emotional and artsy? I imagine even if you actually wanted to do that, you couldn't.

Like I said earlier, it's a bad sign if someone's willing to use the relationship as leverage. Obviously it's more important to them that you change than that the relationship stays together. Best case scenario, it's always going to be a point of contention, worst case scenario, they're just controlling and it's just going to keep getting worse.

But are you sure it's not actually video games and/or titty anime? Come on, admit it. It's ok. Nobody has the right to take away your vidja or tiddies.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Feels Feels x 2
    18. I will fight for my right of watching big tiddy animated goth girls till da end.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      Indigo! the color

kiwifarms.is
    19. She can still suck a sack of balls.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Feels Feels x 1
      drtoboggan

drtoboggan Please, call me Mantis.

kiwifarms.is
    20. Tl;dr mishmash of personal experience ahead.

In the past I always wanted to please others, be anything the person I was with wanted because I thought deep down it would make them happy and they would stay. I found that changing for someone else always led to that person leaving, that I was no longer the person they had fallen for, and I had changed because they kept dropping hints or saying things expressing "hey I don't like this thing about you". I'd do anything and everything, I'd grow out my hair, gain weight, lose weight, give up hobbies, give up friends, adopt new ones, change my style, you name it I probably did it all and they still left me. Always the same "you changed!" bullshit when I only did what they asked of me. And then I hit a point where I no longer cared about the opinion of others, where I stopped denying myself the hobbies I enjoy, or my short hair and sideburns, my love of exercise ( yeah dated a girl that hated me for having muscle), all of those things I gave up in the past because the changes made me miserable. That every time without fail my love turned into deep resentment for the person I sacrificed the things I enjoyed for their perceived happiness.

So don't change for someone else especially if it means giving up the things you love, enjoy, and make you who you are. You'll only hate them for it in the end.

• Feels Feels x 9
      • Agree Agree x 2
      FierceBrosnan

FierceBrosnan Gettin too old for this shit.

kiwifarms.is
    • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
    This website may contain offensive or adult content.
    Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
    All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
    We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.