Would you live in Longyearbyen, Svalbard if you were gonna get paid 50,000 USD a month? - It's way too cold there and there is no Sun.

Solar Eclipse Paradox

Doll brought to life
kiwifarms.net
Longyearbyen is a far north arctic town with only 2,000 people. The temperature is always shitty with temperatures averaging 45F during it's hottest month, July. It is so cold that no trees grow there. The highest temperature ever recorded there was barely over 70F. Longyearbyen's Latitude is 78 parallel north. Far past the Arctic Circle meaning Midnight Sun (meaning the sun does not set) lasts for 128 Days between April 18 to August 23 while Polar Nights (meaning the sun does not rise) lasts for 111 Days between October 27 and February 15. To you, would it be worth that Fortune?
1626938741499.png

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I've wanted to visit Svalbard since reading a National Geographic article about "Spitsbergen" (as the article called it) when I was a kid. (I believe Spitsbergen is the main island while Svalbard refers to the archipelago as a whole.)

Would I want to live there? I'm split, I prefer cool weather in summer anyway but I also like night and I don't know what I'd do without night for several months a year. I'd probably just live in the Radisson Blu Polar Hotel with blackout shades, and I think I wouldn't go outside at all in winter.

Ramborambo

Rainbow Monkey Dildo Story Hour
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I wouldn't go outside at all in winter.
I've been in weather so cold before that even when wearing insulated gloves with your hands in your parka pockets the tips of your fingers still stung. I'd imagine that place is exactly the same if not worse. But the stinging is a good thing. As long as you can feel the pain from the cold, your golden. It's once you go numb and can't feel anymore that you need to worry.

After googling Svalbard a bit, it actually looks like a rather cozy and romantic place. Extreme for sure. But I wouldn't mind going there just to visit, even without the pay incentive.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
I live in Canada anyway so I'm used to moderately cold winters and I think there's a certain maritime current influence on the temperatures so it's very cold in Svalbard in winter but not nearly as cold as it is at the equivalent south latitude in Antarctica. The daily mean in winter for Longyearbyen is still warmer than in Whitehorse, Yukon, which is "only" at 60°43′27″N but which is hundreds of kilometres from the Pacific Ocean and which doesn't get any maritime influence on the temperatures due to the Yukon Range mountains separating it from the milder Alaskan Panhandle.

Last edited:

Megatardingo

Le lava cola u mad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
50k a month for how long? Also how much do I have to pay for being there? Like I need to know the prices of living in there to know if it's a really retarded idea or if it's okay. If you're telling me I can mostly make 50k a month clean then absolutely, if I'm gonna end up with a big chunk of that eaten by taxation and standard living expenses then fuck no lmao

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
Like I need to know the prices of living in there to know if it's a really retarded idea or if it's okay.

Various prices in Longyearbyen in US dollars.

A little expensive but a lot cheaper than living in many U.S. cities and I doubt I'd be spending much more than maybe $7,000 U.S. a month out of the hypothetical $50,000 per month I'd be receiving. I think the most expensive thing I'd do would be importing from Canada La Fin du Monde beer and some other foodstuffs I doubt I'd be able to get locally. (I guess it would have to be flown in by plane in winter?)

Megatardingo

Le lava cola u mad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Various prices in Longyearbyen in US dollars.

A little expensive but a lot cheaper than living in many U.S. cities and I doubt I'd be spending much more than maybe $7,000 U.S. a month out of the hypothetical $50,000 per month I'd be receiving. I think the most expensive thing I'd do would be importing from Canada La Fin du Monde beer and some other foodstuffs I doubt I'd be able to get locally. (I guess it would have to be flown in by plane in winter?)
Then yeah absolutely, even if you hate the cold you can make a lot of cash pretty easily, so you can dip your toes in make a big net positive and if you're fed up by the end of the year then leave.

Solar Eclipse Paradox

Doll brought to life
kiwifarms.net
50k a month for how long? Also how much do I have to pay for being there? Like I need to know the prices of living in there to know if it's a really retarded idea or if it's okay. If you're telling me I can mostly make 50k a month clean then absolutely, if I'm gonna end up with a big chunk of that eaten by taxation and standard living expenses then fuck no lmao
Luckily you don't have to worry about getting a Visa there.

Lonely Grave

naked and alone, we die
kiwifarms.net
A popular claim made about the town is that it is illegal to die there but the wording in such a claim is misleading. While it is not actually illegal to die in Longyearbyen, there are no options for burial of bodies there (ashes can be buried with permission from the government) and residents considered terminally ill are typically required to move to the mainland. The decision to disallow burials came in 1950, when it was discovered that the bodies of residents who had died as a result of the 1918 flu pandemic had not begun to decompose.
Spooky, but honestly I'd spend 80% of the year indoors just like what happened last year with the long lockdown.

Just make sure I have a reliable internet connection and power supply and I'll be golden thanks.