Y2K/Millenium-era pop -

polyqueerandrosensual

Somehow-not-a-Lolcow
kiwifarms.net
I'll put this as the years roughly 1998 - 2002 ish. Basically around the year 2000 with all the teen pop etc. coming about.

What songs and artists from that era do you like??

I'll start off by posting about Pink (or rather, P!nk as she often writes it). No, not Pink Floyd. Not Pink Guy either.

Born Alecia Beth Moore, she began her mainstream music career as a total wigger with hit R&B songs such as "There You Go".

Not enjoying what the record label forced onto her, she slowly churned out a more rock-ish sound, with hits like "Get the Party Started". Since then her music has mostly been pop-rock.

Okay your turn to post someone now.

Syaoran Li

An Outlaw Forever, Forever An Outlaw
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this counts, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Back in the days of the old 90's Sailor Moon dub, they would release CD's as spin-off merch and they usually had music from the DIC/Cloverway dub or covers of mainstream songs by the cast of the anime, most famously a cover of The Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand" which occasionally got a small bit of airplay on pop stations in the graveyard hours.

But then there's this...

That's right, they did a parody of "The Real Slim Shady" sung by the voice actress of Sailor Mini-Moon. Yes, really.

polyqueerandrosensual

Somehow-not-a-Lolcow
kiwifarms.net
That's right, they did a parody of "The Real Slim Shady" sung by the voice actress of Sailor Mini-Moon. Yes, really.

I miss the 5 seconds before I knew that existed.

I just did a Google search though, and... that was not on any of the soundtracks. It seems to have been made independently of them and just leaked online instead. I was gonna say, no way would they put that on a kid's CD.

Syaoran Li

An Outlaw Forever, Forever An Outlaw
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the 5 seconds before I knew that existed.

I just did a Google search though, and... that was not on any of the soundtracks. It seems to have been made independently of them and just leaked online instead. I was gonna say, no way would they put that on a kid's CD.

I knew it wasn't on the soundtracks, but I do know that the original Slim Shady albums came out around the same time the Sailor Moon dub was on the air, and I was under the impression that this parody was probably done during the recording sessions of one of the Sailor Moon CD's and leaked years later.

I mean, you occasionally have joke recordings like this that aren't really meant to be part of a commercial release but are meant as an inside joke with among the cast and crew.

One of the most famous examples would be the Big Bill Hell's fake car dealership commercial from back in the early 90's, which also got leaked online years after the fact.

Given the fact that Stephanie Beard was the one rapping and was using the exact same voice she used for Rini, it makes me think this was probably just the Sailor Moon cast and the soundtrack crew just goofing off when they were recording one of the Lunarock CD's or whatever.

Since we're on the topic of Sailor Moon, song parodies, and cringey Turn of the Millennium pop culture, here's another favorite of mine...

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Except they're nothing alike and she was famous an entire decade beforehand, ya dum nignog.

Also Gaga didn't have a funny wigger phase like Pink did.

And then a gothy punkish rebel phase (Pink's "Try This" album in 2003).
They both suck and produce similar lame pop music, but at least Lady Gaga went the Madonna route and tried to be a least a little bit interesting.

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
I remember that era with absolute horror. The late '90s was when record companies shifted their marketing away from late teens (17+) or college-aged adults towards almost exclusively tween/teen girls and all their gay friends. In the past, MTV would air music videos for genuinely interesting alternative acts. Even the poppier/mainstream alt bands were worth listening to. Once "Genie in a Bottle" and "Hit Me Baby One More Time" became a thing, the rest was history.

Save Goober

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just gonna leave this here
220px-Otownalbum.jpg