Y2K/Millenium-era pop -

Allegory

kiwifarms.net

They were simpler times

Pre 9/11 commercials
Remember when disposable cameras were relevant?
1599030089003.png

TRL memories

I know Nelly is rap but this shit was all over MTV in the day.

Man this whole genera fucking VANISHED

Mario, Usher, Ne-yo, Chris Brown in 2005 ,

Last edited:

GHTD

German cock lul
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gonna dox myself as early zoomer by vaguely naming off shit that were on the hit charts when I was in middle school.

Also 2007

Allegory

kiwifarms.net
Gonna dox myself as early zoomer by vaguely naming off shit that were on the hit charts when I was in middle school.

Also 2007

2008 was a whole other life for m but full of classics as well
[/QUOTE]

oh shit I can't believe this wasn't tossed up yet.
Remember when Dane Cook was a thing. He has so much juice on Myspace!

Last edited by a moderator:

Volthoom

The Spirit in The Ring
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this counts, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Back in the days of the old 90's Sailor Moon dub, they would release CD's as spin-off merch and they usually had music from the DIC/Cloverway dub or covers of mainstream songs by the cast of the anime, most famously a cover of The Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand" which occasionally got a small bit of airplay on pop stations in the graveyard hours.

But then there's this...

That's right, they did a parody of "The Real Slim Shady" sung by the voice actress of Sailor Mini-Moon. Yes, really.
This is the single greatest thing in the history of ever.

2001 I was a year old when this came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

polyqueerandrosensual

Somehow-not-a-Lolcow
kiwifarms.net
Remember when disposable cameras were relevant?

I swear my aunt used those things until 2010 or later.

Man this whole genera fucking VANISHED

Mario, Usher, Ne-yo, Chris Brown in 2005 ,

Nah it just got updated. Khalid does R&B slow jams like this.

you liked it at the time, you know you did

Nah.

I loved it.

He was a legend

I mean... he still is, albeit for different reasons.

1995 I cant believe it was this early I thought it was a 98 or 99 track

Savage Garden were amazing. <3

That was later on, like late Noughties.

A Logging Company

kiwifarms.net
People complain about how hypersexed music is these days, with ex-strippers like Cardi B barking about how wet her puss is. But I look back at acts like Britney Spears and Christina Arugula, and realize how much more subversively sexual they and similar acts of the era were. They would play their music videos on Disney Channel, and advertise their music on Nickelodeon, marketing this stuff to kids. Yet the actual sexual meaning is obvious if you examine the lyrics, and some of the symbolism of the music videos. I never noticed that the astronaut in the "Opps... I Did It Again" music video is being lowered onto Martian Britney while she is wearing all white. Wonder what they were getting at there?

At least with Cardi B, it's a lot easier to say "Haha no kid, you ain't listening to that", as opposed to Britney Spears in 2000, because you're just left just saying "Uhhhh" to a 7 year old who asks why they can't dance around to "Hit Me Baby One More Time."

If I had to pick a personal favorite of the era though...
Some people may say Mariah doesn't count as being apart of the late 90's MK-Ultra Programming Bubblegum Farm , but her sound (at least on singles) and image changed to suit the market at that time. Besides, who can resist an RnB/Pop song that samples a Talking Heads offshoot.

oh shit I can't believe this wasn't tossed up yet.
I find it more funny that the movie "Mystery Men" is only remembered because of that music video, who's song is famous because it was featured in a different movie.

Last edited:

polyqueerandrosensual

Somehow-not-a-Lolcow
kiwifarms.net
Some people may say Mariah doesn't count as being apart of the late 90's MK-Ultra Programming Bubblegum Farm , but her sound (at least on singles) and image changed to suit the market at that time. Besides, who can resist an RnB/Pop song that samples a Talking Heads offshoot.

That particular song was from 1995 though, a bit earlier than what I'm referring to.

Speaking of her, apparently her music video for "Heartbreaker" was one of the most expensive music videos ever produced. But like... how??? It's just them dancing in a movie theater. Even if they bought the whole place it wouldn't be anywhere near the cost that it supposedly had.

I find it more funny that the movie "Mystery Men" is only remembered because of that music video, who's song is famous because it was featured in a different movie.

That song was in so many other movies though, such as Rat Race which was also a total flop/

Though I did like Mystery Men as a kid because it had Kel in it lol.

GHTD

German cock lul
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My work's intercom music seems to be quite 2000's heavy, and this is one of the ones they play.

2004. I would've been 9 when this came out.

1998. This plays sometimes at work, but not as often.