Young people don't eat fish. - Why?

Chive Turkey

kiwifarms.net
Are there kinds of fish that don't taste like metal?
Oily fish like mackerel have the strongest fishy and iron taste. IIRC the smaller the fish, the stronger those tastes. So tuna is going to be less offensive to you than deenz. Whitefish like flatfish and cod are more flaky and have a more generic 'meaty' taste. Freshwater fish are often very mild as well, with catfish and freshwater eel being particularly prized.

Other types of poultry? Fish isn't poultry at all...
I think he meant to say 'white meat', which in some definitions includes both poultry and fish.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I eat fish, but not very often.

Okay, this is a good reason. Admittedly, I eat almost nothing but fast food when on my own, though I get fish when visiting home frequently. I also eat at Captain D's every week. I try Long John Silvers, but its garbage, at least where I live. On occasions I cook my own tilapia in the same manner my Mom did. It's not difficult to make a tilapia meal. It's easy for me to deep fry a batch of shrimp, bake a potato, and make one or two other things for side dishes to go with it. You just coat tilapia in flour and fry it with vegetable oil in a pan.
Captain D's every week? Dang.

I like Captain D's, but not enough to want to eat it that frequently.

A big problem with Captain D's is their fries are absolute garbage, which spoils the whole "fish and chips" idea, but at least the fish is good.

There's not been a Long John Silvers in my town in over a decade and I don't remember the food too well, you say the D's is better? That's good to know.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the Fukushima disaster and the concordant global dispersion of nuclear waste has turned a lot of people off to seafood. When radioactive fish are washing up in California, you think twice about ordering the sashimi.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Orange Rhymer

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
>fried fish
>salmon patties
>tilapia

You've been missing out on a lot as a kid.

I think the youth aversion to fish is more of an inland issue than a coastal one, obviously; I've only known one non-vegetarian girl in my state who didn't like to eat fish, and everyone considered her a couple marbles short of a full set.

Outside of that, fish by itself is mostly bland with a few exceptions, so I suspect lot of people don't know it's more about the texture than anything else. Trouble is, you can only get the best quality texture by having it fresh out of the water, and preparing fresh fish is a multi-step process that too many can't be arsed to deal with. Even if you aren't doing the gutting yourself, you've got to walk up to a fish market, tell the shopkeeper exactly what you want, sometimes have to watch the guy take the flat end of a butcher knife to the fish's skull to knock it out cold, then you have to bring it home and cook it as soon as possible. etc. etc. Not to mention that accidentally swallowing a fish bone is a bitch to deal with.

So folks who aren't willing to involve themselves with that buy the packaged stuff, except not only has the meat broken down into something mealy and barely edible because it's obviously been around for a couple days (at least), but that oh-so distinctive fishy odor has begun to set in. You don't get that with fresh fish. That odor is a sign of decay. Kids don't realize that they are being fed stuff that would've been thrown into the trash.

If you're willing to explore beyond your current palette for fish, I suggest trying mackerel. It has an inherently stringent texture that takes longer to turn mushy and is also naturally salty, so right from the get-go it tastes far more interesting than even chicken meat. Sprinkle some salt, bake it in the oven, and add lemon juice when you're done. Just make sure the guts are properly cleaned out, because that stuff is quite bitter and off-putting to those who aren't used to it.
There is a lot of truth there.

Children require an enormous amount of taste-bud stimuli before they process a sensation (according to my college-psych class). Children typically use 5x-10x the amount of condiments than adults. This is also why food marketed to children is ridiculous (high fat, high salt, high sugar). Palettes take years of maturity.
The 'pro-autism community' will tell you that their 'special ones' are super senstive to flavors/tastes, but that is mostly lies perpetuated by a community with a vested interest in NGO taxed regulation.
I have also noticed the Zoomer aversion to fish. It's a shame. I believe they will come around when they find out what they are missing.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I realy dont get it, Alaska pollock is cheap and tastes fine, how can you not like that?

also Kartoffelpuffer with smoked salmon are nice, or Stremellachs on the christmas market...

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fish is fucking great. I attribute young people not like fish because it's more expensive and easier to fuck up than chicken or ground beef. Of course people aren't going to be eating fish when it's costlier per pound, and they ruin it because they don't know how to make it. Parents who are bad cooks ruin a lot of food for their kids, especially foods like fish and vegetables.

Fish soups are especially underappreciated. A fatty mackerel cooked over a pot of rice is amazing. It adds so much flavor and richness. Whole fried spelts with some fresh lemon squeezed over them are incredible. Broil a salmon and save the skin to fry and use it as crispy garnish. There's so much more variety out there than fishsticks and sad fast food and supermarket sushi.

I know some weeb who doesn't like fish and went to Japan. They spent the entire time eating only at 'safe' places like McDonalds. Fucking sad.

Lemmingwise

✊Black in solidarity with black lives matter✊
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is a lot of truth there.

Children require an enormous amount of taste-bud stimuli before they process a sensation (according to my college-psych class). Children typically use 5x-10x the amount of condiments than adults. This is also why food marketed to children is ridiculous (high fat, high salt, high sugar). Palettes take years of maturity.
The 'pro-autism community' will tell you that their 'special ones' are super senstive to flavors/tastes, but that is mostly lies perpetuated by a community with a vested interest in NGO taxed regulation.
I have also noticed the Zoomer aversion to fish. It's a shame. I believe they will come around when they find out what they are missing.
What's your source for thinking kids taste palette's takes years to develop?

Florence

Bim, guess what?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I eat a lot of fish when I’m home from college and my parents are cooking, but if I’m cooking for myself it’s usually too expensive and finicky to prepare to justify eating it.

Reactions: XYZpdq

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Well, like I mentioned - general academic info from 3 college psych classes. And some RL experience.
You don't see too many teenage Sommeliers or Michelin food critics.
Supporting info: Kids drown their food in condiments. Easily observable. Also food marketed to children has a tediously simple, yet intense flavor spectrum. The candy is intensely sugary, etc...
Appreciation of subtle flavors is learned.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Avoiding power leveling as best I can, but I grew up on the the shore of one of the Great Lakes. I know, I know, "oh god, it's poison", eh, fuck your poison. Still tastes good. You could go to any small restaurant and get fresh fish. That was good fish. And it was affordable - you could get fresh fish for reasonable prices pretty much all year. Even in the winter you could get some. And if you didn't wanna buy it from the store? Chances are you knew people who fished who could hook you up from time to time.

I live inland in the south of the US now. Fish here is shit, and it's overpriced shit at that. I'm *barely* close enough to the ocean that you can get *some* fresh fish, but not much, and it's expensive. So I can understand why people don't bother with fish - it's hard to get good fish, so you don't get the experience eating the good fish to know what it can be like.

And for the record: Fresh fish is fish that's been out of the water less than 24 hours. Not sitting in an ice truck for three days.

Not who you were replying to, but that’s never stopped me before...

I agree with him, based on common knowledge and personal experience. There are tons of foods, mostly vegetables like beets and cabbage, I used to only tolerate but now like.

Tags
None