Yume Nikki, 2kki, LSD Dream Emulator, and other "dream" games. - INB4 rape theory.

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure by now any of these games are obscure, def weird. They were all really lovely and had a much different style of game. I'd say it's a shame they don't get done a lot and often aren't done well, but the hipster in me would rather have these be gems then norms.

The Shadow

Hard times and .45's
kiwifarms.net
Silent Hill doesn't strictly fall into this category (though in the worst ending, it's Harry's dying dream) it does intentionally go for that Lynchian dreamlike feeling.

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
Silent Hill doesn't strictly fall into this category (though in the worst ending, it's Harry's dying dream) it does intentionally go for that Lynchian dreamlike feeling.
That was pretty cool tho. Like the one time I haven't called "it was all a dream" a stupid cop out. Disregard that, I suck cock, SMB2 was the other time. How could I forget.

• Agree
Reactions: The Shadow

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
Yume Nikki has to be among my top 5 favorite games ever yet I hate or dislike every other one of the clones or similar dream games except maybe LSD which I don't care much about.

Reactions: AnotherPleb

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
AI Dungeon, when it's working properly and not just slightly rewriting or flat out regurgitating what you just wrote or wrote a few interactions ago, is pretty close to the actual experience of dreaminng (at least for me) in terms of ignoring everything that just happened and changing the story completely on the fly.

Some of those GTA V mods that screw with the traffic, making all of the cars steer towards you even if you're walking in the middle of the desert or climbing a mountain, are very close to dreams I have about cars.

Driver: San Francisco had the premise of Tanner being in a coma as the reason to introduce the "shift" mechanic between cars. For the most part, the game isn't too dreamlike ignoring the shifting gameplay but there is that one bit where San Francisco is "frozen" except for Tanner and the ambulance and also later in the game where the bad guy (forget his name off the top of my head) is flat out launching other cars at you, similar to the GTA V mods I mentioned before.

LongtimeLurker

kiwifarms.net
Loved these kinds of games. Most of the 2edgy4me theories though were obnoxious. The games were eerie and unsettling enough to be enjoyable without having to flop a ton of "THIS SYMBOLIZES RAPE AND DRUGS!!" on top. I get people want to make sense out of nonsense, but everyone always goes for the edgy shit.

Yumenikki especially spawned a lot of try hard ripoffs that imo only 2kki and parts of .flow were able to rise above. The charm of Yumenikki was that it wasn't trying to bash you over the head with its nonsensicalness or shove an idea down your throat. It just was.

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
kiwifarms.net
Loved these kinds of games. Most of the 2edgy4me theories though were obnoxious. The games were eerie and unsettling enough to be enjoyable without having to flop a ton of "THIS SYMBOLIZES RAPE AND DRUGS!!" on top. I get people want to make sense out of nonsense, but everyone always goes for the edgy shit.

Yumenikki especially spawned a lot of try hard ripoffs that imo only 2kki and parts of .flow were able to rise above. The charm of Yumenikki was that it wasn't trying to bash you over the head with its nonsensicalness or shove an idea down your throat. It just was.
I do agree that most of the rape, and drug theories are annoying bullshit, but I do think in the case of Yume Nikki the rape theory does make a lot sense given how much of the symbolism seems to point in that direction.

However, the theory I found to the most interesting is that Madotsuki lives in a post-apocalyptic world which explains why everything the world is so barren, why the TV only plays test screens when not using the Famicom, (and apparently rarely this thing called the KALIMBA TV Channel if the wiki is anything to go by) and why Madotsuki refuses to leave her room.

Vlinny Chan

Vlinny's on vacation.
kiwifarms.net
I do agree that most of the rape, and drug theories are annoying bullshit, but I do think in the case of Yume Nikki the rape theory does make a lot sense given how much of the symbolism seems to point in that direction.

However, the theory I found to the most interesting is that Madotsuki lives in a post-apocalyptic world which explains why everything the world is so barren, why the TV only plays test screens when not using the Famicom, (and apparently rarely this thing called the KALIMBA TV Channel if the wiki is anything to go by) and why Madotsuki refuses to leave her room.
I for one find the rape and molestation theories ether thunk provoking or highly amusing depending on the evidence (Whoa dude that vase on that shelf their looks phalic-like. Must be a repressed memory of her sexual assault when she was 15 years old.). The only theory I find the most annoying is the trans theory that has snuck its way in with both Yume Nikki and Yume 2kki. Not only is it not that compeling (she can turn into a boy and use the mens restroom, dude), but it has ruined the Madotsuki/Urotsuki tab on fanart sites. I really do think it only came up because of the rise of social justice on places on tumblr because of fucking course that shit has to ruin absolutely everything.

But that's just me. Have you seen of the "Madotsuki is autistic" theory yet?

Vlinny Chan

Vlinny's on vacation.
kiwifarms.net
No, but I'm not surprised it exists.
I mean if you really think about it, it makes sense. Girl that doesn't speak a word locks herself in her room and refuses to come out and plays only one game when they aren't sleeping 18 hours of the day having fever dreams about being chased by bird-women that didn't invite her to their picnic.:P

This is why I play games like these. They're so crazy and vague that you can't help but try to make sense of it all. Hence, crazy theories.

Reactions: FluffyTehFennekin
Tags
None